Slope flying near Much Wenlock (Long Mynd)

paulj

I am off to Much Wenlock for a few days camping from tomorrow, and I am planning to put a glider in the car to take with me. Are there any restrictions regarding flying at the Long Mynd which I should be aware of? I will of course have my insurance documents etc with me. Also, are there other slopes in the area I should be checking out?

Thanks!

oipigface

PM isoaritfirst (Mike Evans), who is Chair of the Long Mynd Soaring Association. He will tell you all you need to know ... and more besides!

• Thanks 1
John Minchell

Paul

You can't use electric motors on the Mynd and stay away from the full size club too.

Look at the LMSA website which gives the sites for all the wind directions here  https://www.lmsa.org.uk/drupal/

Also take a look at the full size club web cams and weather monitor which will show you the wind direction here  https://www.midlandgliding.club/weather-information/

Enjoy John M

• Like 1
pete beadle
3 hours ago, paulj said:

I am planning to put a glider in the car to take with me

Hi PaulJ

Won't be long before you'll be needing a spare (pup?) tent for the models too!:yes::)

The Long Mynd is a really great slope, and really grows on you, I've flown there many times over the years, and have always received a warm welcome from any club members present at the time

As JohnM says - enjoy!:thumbsup:

Regards

Pete

BARCS1702

Andy_B

Tomorrow (friday) may be ok on Ashes Hollow    but direction seems light and variable . Saturday is Northerly and the North slope isnt great  but you may find somebody up there . Sunday is your best bet flying on the Ashlett site over looking Church Stretton   but is a fairly long if not to arduous a walk of about 20-25 minutes   but pack light (and we are likely to be flying on that day ) 

Andy

• Like 1
paulj
5 hours ago, pete beadle said:

Won't be long before you'll be needing a spare (pup?) tent for the models too!:yes::)

We have a small caravan (Eriba Familia), and the models will stay in the car!

paulj
5 hours ago, John Minchell said:

Paul

You can't use electric motors on the Mynd and stay away from the full size club too.

Look at the LMSA website which gives the sites for all the wind directions here  https://www.lmsa.org.uk/drupal/

Also take a look at the full size club web cams and weather monitor which will show you the wind direction here  https://www.midlandgliding.club/weather-information/

Enjoy John M

Thanks John. Actually, last time I flew at the Long Mynd it was in one of the full size gliders (I flew full size for several years, before life got in the way)!

Thanks for the pointer to the wind and weather.

As I am still shielding (live in Wales not England), I will probably look to fly midweek next week rather than across the weekend, so unfortunately on this occasion I won't get the change to meet people from the forum face to face. Shame, maybe at some point in the future (We hail from North Wales, so it's not so far to come).

John Minchell

Paul

Its about the same distance for you as when you came to the aero tow at Sherlowe a year ago.

John M

• Like 1