Upgrading pre-2019 Taranis X9D+

paulj

Evening all!

I have a Taranis X9D+, pre-2019 which I have modified by moving the momentary switch from right to left, and also by changing the gimbals to the hall effect gimbals. I am considering upgrade options, and would be interested in your comments.

I am considering the following options at the moment:

• 2019 X9D+ SE (the version with the hall effect gimbals built in)
  • Horus X10S Express
  • Waiting for a possible release of an upgraded X12S. I suspect there will be a new model later this year, with Access as the main protocol. There isn't any news about this at the moment, so I could be waiting until next year for this option.

Richard at T9 Hobbysport has suggested I go over and have a look at the different models there, and I am likely to take him up on this suggestion. I do have some questions though:

• I have a small spektrum external module which I built - it works with my X9D+ - will it still work with the newer transmitters?
  • How good is the range on ACCST receivers when used with the new Tx module? I understand there were some teething issues, but I expect these have been resolved now. I will of course buy ACCESS receivers once I have the new transmitter, but I don't want to swap all the existing receivers for new ones!
  • How are the MC12P gimbals on the X10S Express? Noticeably better than the hall effect gimbals on the X9D SE?
  • Are there any other things I should be aware of which could influence my choice (particularly between options 1 and 2)?

I look forward to your comments! TIA!

Hi.  My initial question would be, why do you want to upgrade?  What's wrong with current tx or what feature is it missing that you have on later tx?

I'm all for an easy life.

I quite like some of the benefits offered by the Access protocol (for example, wireless firmware upgrades and more range). Also, if I upgrade soon, I can recover some of the expense by selling at least one of the two transmitters I have at the moment. If I leave it too long, no one will want it!

To be honest - I really like the look of the X12S as well, but that is due to be refreshed as far as I can see!

Edited by paulj
added a point

I haven’t used all the features of ACCESS yet, all I can say is I’m very happy with my ACCESS X9D and the new Archer GR6. 

I only have the standard version, I find the stock gimbals really good and I prefer the soldered on antenna. 

ACCESS radio will do ACCESS and ACCST D16 so all your current rx’s should work. Upgrade everything to the V2 RF firmware and you’ll be good to go. I’ve had no issue with mine, although I wouldn’t use the G-RX8 personally as it’s having far too many issues on RC Groups. I will only buy Archer rx’s from now on.

indeed there is the new X20 something coming out, not sure when. It looks really nice being QX7  styled with the big screen on top. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Getting tired of trying to keep my 2015 Taranis X9D plus up to date firmware wise, the two most recent Rxs I've bought (G-RX8 and G-RX6) have given me a head ache, got the G-RX6 bound eventually but no sound from the vario yet. G-RX8 might have become unbound, probably needs firmware update itself now - aarrgg!

When this (or similar) becomes available I may well retire the X9D to Spektrum duties (DM9 module in the back).

x20.thumb.jpg.d65f888cee42351aa7d4bdc1316fdca7.jpg

It’s going to be one of Frsky new radio. Started off as the X11 Tandam so 2.4 and R9 built in, but I think they are now developed into the X20. 

I really like the look of it with it being based around the QX7. 

Thanks Mark 

Does look really good, especially if they can keep the weight down, don't think the R9 would do much for it, given its performance to date and Frsky's current debacles.  Frsky would  really need to get their act together and stop being so predatory and disorganised before I would consider another longer term investment with them  ..... 

On the radio front I would want better switches than  what they have to date and for it to be much more tactile (soft grip -not hard plastic around the handles etc. ) and for the charging and firmware ports  ports to be in easy accessible places (love my Taranis 2019 SE) but these 2 latter points really bug me.

ps the big chrome bits around the gimbals makes it look (unnecessarily in my book)  very busy 

given its past performance and Fr sky's current woes

Juts made it onto my radar the other day - would like to get on in my hands to try it - interesting concept.  Is its performance the same as the "full sized" radios and is it very tactile / nice to touch?  

thanks

Conrad 

Take a look at the Radiomaster TX16S.

Great value especially if you have a lot of Frsky receivers.

The internal multiprotocol module will bind with loads of receivers.

I am just experimenting with one and am really impressed.

radiomaster.png

• Like 2

Marc RC pilot
On 28/08/2020 at 09:29, taggarc said:

Juts made it onto my radar the other day - would like to get on in my hands to try it - interesting concept.  Is its performance the same as the "full sized" radios and is it very tactile / nice to touch?  

thanks

Conrad 

Good morning taggarc.

I haven't used mine yet. The unit is very light and fits to my hands perfectly/feels right. The finish is of a mat variety with grip pads where you hold the unit. imho it feels tactile/just right.

Not sure about the range but if memory serves it is more than enough for my needs.

Has enough buttons and switches (2x momentary/dlg friendly launch button for both left or right handed flyers)

The joysticks are adjustable both in length and tension.

The only thing that I would say negatively about it is the small screen and for those with not the sharpest of eye sights, it would mean wearing glasses (not a big deal).

Some pics to give you an idea of size compared to an X9D+ SE 2019 model:

20200828_154703.jpg

20200829_025407.jpg

20200828_154729.jpg

Yes, same range. You have options to use internal antennas or the optional external antenna. 

Guys like Nick Wu have flown F5J planes on the Xlite, so range isn’t an issue. 

The biggest difference is the stick travel is shorter than full size gimbals, but I’m sure with some expo and time using the radio you’d quickly become accustomed to it. 

• Like 1