OP-ID labels

Nick Jackson

• Committee Member
Nick Jackson

Does anybody know a source of Dymo LetraTag compatible label tape, white on clear?

(This is for those pesky Operator ID labels. I mostly use black on clear but having the alternative option of white lettering would be useful. Yes, I know hand written inside the model is OK if accessible without tools but prefer the  Dymo route.)

Thanks for looking.

• Committee Member
PeteMitchell

I cut from Solartrim and stick them on the wing

Could cut similar for you. 

IMG_0111.jpg

Alternative fairly easy option if you have an ink jet printer - either make a table in ms word or excel, change the cell background colour to whatever you want (match your surface colour?), make the font colour whatever you want  scale to suit where you placing it, then print on plain paper and use clear cellotape or similar over the top (having cut it down to the minimum you need). Only uses tiny amount of ink if you keep the cell size small.

• Committee Member
PeteMitchell

38 minutes ago, mikef said:

t covers size and position etc. of the OP id  label. It says, 'on the main body'..

The BMFA advice , see https://rcc.bmfa.uk/caa-registration   is:

The Operator Number must be displayed in an easily accessible location on or within the aircraft

Laptop, Word file, print a sheet of the IDs (about 18pt - 4mm high) - chop up with scissors, stick on with Diamond Tape (yep, still got some)

did all mine this evening -15 of them - mostly stuck on inner noses under nosecones (which is apparently ok) - some on the outside on white fuselages

Phil.

I got some A4 sheets of printer labels which are self adhesive. Print, peel, stick, cover with clear tape if you want, job done. 

Just make sure your letters are over 3mm high.

Neil P

Marc RC pilot

How to label your drone or model aircraft

Your operator ID must be:

visible from the outside, or within a compartment that can easily be accessed without using a tool

clear and in block capitals taller than 3mm

secure and safe from damage

on the main body of the aircraft

You should use a removable label as your operator ID may change when you renew. You’ll need to remove your label if you’re no longer responsible for the drone or model aircraft.

Always use your operator ID, not your flyer ID

Could there be an issue with identity theft having ones OID out for all to see?

Would it make more sense to have ones OID  "within a compartment that can easily be accessed without using a tool" like the canopy hatch?

You should use a removable label as your operator ID may change when you renew.

How about thin ID key fobs minus the metal ring ?

image.png.0075d7a9dea6c8659077d0bbdb757820.png

• 2 weeks later...
Marc RC pilot
1 hour ago, PeteMitchell said:

Blocked  by Norton Antivirus as a  malicious site .

Oh nooo...I don't use Norton myself Pete tbh. 

I ordered a set this morning (paid through PayPal), hope it goes ok... I will  report back when labels arrive or if they don't.

Fwiw, I found this service advertised on BMFA  classifieds.

Cheers

Marc  

• Committee Member

Hopefully all is OK and PayPal will sort you out if need be.

From what little I know about these things, its probably that the website is not secure and you could get something you didnt ask for when you connect to it.

Let us know how it goes.