Phase 6 revisted

PeteMitchell

• Committee Member
PeteMitchell

A few years ago I came to the conclusion that I would never go slope soaring again (can’t clime hills etc) and would not build another wooden model (balsa dust allergy). So no surprise then that for my recent birthday I decided to treat myself and bought a Phase 6 kit.

Back in the day I built both the Sport and Pro version, and more recently refurbed a tatty old Sport wing and fitted it to an equally tatty old Pro fus. At that time I also refurbed an old Alpina, never got to fly either and sold both on. That’s when I decided to give up slope flying. Must be an old age mind change sort of thing, but I do intend to fly this one when its finished, and I will post some pics as the build goes along.

I always remember that this model was a pain  in the xxse to both store and transport because of its fixed tailplane, so this one will have a plug in tailplane.  Also it is going to have ailerons and flaps and any tips and advise from regular slope  heads will be  much appreciated. Having flown  not much other than all moulded carbon F5J  type thermal soarers  for the past few years it’s going to be a change building wood again ,and sourcing big servos etc will be different.

The new kit looks good. All the wood looks to be of good quality, and the cut parts look sharp and accurate. Better than I remember🙂

IMG_0327.jpg

• Like 3

A very enjoyable model! I had one back in the early 90's, and flying from Mickey's on a marginal summer day, I managed to lose sight of it just below the lip. I actually thought I had landed it, but when I reached the edge, it was no where to be seen. With a tip off from a walker, I went down the side of the hill to the woods near the bottom and found it stuck high up in a pine tree. Without a second thought I climbed the tree to recover it - probably not the best decision, as the trunk was about 4" diameter where the model was stuck. I then had to climb back up the hill with the bits, and also my transmitter which I had taken down to see if I could hear the servos moving!

The wing was repairable, and I rebuilt the fuselage from the joint in the doublers forward.

Enjoy the build - did you get the sport or pro model this time round?

• Committee Member
PeteMitchell

Thanks paulj, I used to clime trees, a lifetime ago🙂

I got the Sport wing, could never keep up with the Pro wing back then, even less chance  now.

• Like 1

Well Pete - and one time we spoke recently you poo-pooed the idea of sloping again 🙂So will you be joining us on the next trip to Ivinghoe Beacon? With a bit of coordination the walk up the hill can be reduced by 40% - drop models at point where paths meet road, then go and park. Far less effort than lugging models all the way from and back to the car park, needs two people - one to mind the dropped off models.

The view from Paul W's (Woodgnome) Phase 6 last Sunday (23rd Aug, '20) below. John H and Neil J had Phase 5s, I had a Phase 6 (Sport wing) that was part built by Ian M (Boffin), delivered to me by Tony B (both now sadly departed) and built by Mel F. Is a collection of Phases a Phist of Phases?

• Like 3

I have just bought a Phase 6 kit myself with the hope I can still get up the Malverns to fly it!

I had one many years ago (sport wing) and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Like you Pete I will build it with flaps and ailerons. I would be interested in the plug in tail mod you have in mind. Any plans yet?

Any ideas what servos you might use on flaps & ailerons?

My lock down build was a Veron Impala kit from the vintage model company - should finish it within the next few weeks and then I will try the hills again.

1 hour ago, isoaritfirst said:

Build it with a ballast box

Definitely do this Pete.

Seem to remember reading that strengthening behind the wing was a good idea, and even fully glassing the fuz too for better fast arrival survival.

I upgraded the wing servos to these - https://hobbyking.com/en_us/corona-939mg-digital-metal-gear-servo-2-7kg-0-13sec-12-5g.html - no UK stock at the moment though. Originally they were micro servos and just not up the the job - stripping gears while handling mainly.

Hi Pete,

I built my Phase 6 in 2009, there is a build thread on RC Groups. The highest wind speed I have flown it in is 40 mph at Crook Peak, Pat Teakle launched it for me. I couldn't get it back down so eventually fired it in to a gorse bush. I didn't modify it in any way.

Recently (in the lockdown) I built a Middle Phase with both wings (ailerons/no ailerons) to replace the original I learned to fly rc with.

Might see you this weekend, weather permitting.

Cheers

Gary

20200509_165641393_iOS.thumb.jpg.46668bce44b1f2adb071eaa28197d14f.jpg

20200509_165846694_iOS.thumb.jpg.a786645caf1255c2e7192a9059b53d64.jpg

• Like 2

Pete, to give you a bit of inspiration see pictures of my Phase 5 wing with Flaps and ailerons. Both bottom hinges. Setup is like on F5J model, the thermal setting works well in light conditions and full flap allows for gentle vertical landings. See also ballest box, essential to give the model a bit of inertia.  Happy building.   John h

084378E5-9F5F-431F-BF83-9EBE2786FBA9.jpeg

20025D83-0182-420C-9D7D-81E2C76AB129.jpeg

086E1008-F705-4A18-8C80-739CBA75A649.jpeg

• Like 2

I built my original Phase 6 Professional, soon after they came out, with a servo top mixer that gave me flapperons to allow it to climb, very successful and I still have it.  It had a ballast bolt through the bottom of the fuselage to take internal lead.  It also ended up with a nose tow hook for early towing behind a relatively (for these days) underpowered IC model where we rolled both glider and tug on the climb.

I would definitely build it now with 4 micro servos to give crow as well to give the spot landings we are used to these days  🙂

Great to see you Guys all enjoy a good fling with a Phase Six, mine is well over 20 years old with lots of hours on the clock, the wind was well over 30mph on Sunday when we did the video. I don't bother with a ballast box they are too small to make much difference with the wing area of a Six. I just squeeze 3 No    15 mm copper pipes full of lead in the fuz under the wing it works great each weighs approx 10 oz packed in with EPP at both ends and velcro so they cannot move. But careful landings are then recommended 😄 I just use flapperons up on approach but I would now build flaps with crow as I have seen how controllable it makes landings in difficult areas. I also use the shear plate to attach the wing it can save a lot of damage if you catch a wing tip landing, and I would glass the whole model.  They also aerotow nicely using the velco release trick if you get an opportunity, I look forward to seeing some nice new ones out on the slopes over the winter.

I had a Phase 6 with the semi symmetrical section wing back in the mid 80's. Then in 1987 I bought a Fiat X1/9 and realised that a 66" wing wouldn't fit in it. Desperate measures were called for and the wing soon developed a span of 60". As with all Chris Foss models it flew great and also looked good too.

• 1 year later...
  • Committee Member

Hard to believe that it is over a year since I bought this kit. 

Sad to say I lost interest in it when the balsa dust started to make me feel ill.

But a good mate reminded me of the fun I was missing without a slope glider so I got myself a decent face mask and got on with the sanding.

Nearer to being finished now😃

IMG_0784a.jpg

• Like 7

• 2 months later...
  • Committee Member

Finished at last!!!

Plug in tailplane, 4 servo wing, big 2s lipo for power and a Jeti9 rx. What could go wrong😊

Maybe get to find out next week.

IMG_0870a.jpg

• Like 5

11 hours ago, SteveH said:

Could you give me some details of the plug in tailplane please?

Maybe a photo or 2?

Thanks.

Yes, that would be interesting to see.

• Committee Member
13 hours ago, SteveH said:

Could you give me some details of the plug in tailplane please?

Maybe a photo or 2?

Sorry Steve, I did make a few pics when putting the model together, but I lost interest in it for a while and forgot all about your question. Hopefully the pics below answer your questions.

All the parts shown are made from bits and pieces found in my scrap box (I rarely throw anything away if it looks like it could become useful) and measurements mostly made with trial and error plus mark one eyeballs to achieve a working result.

The drive is made up from 2 sizes of square box section brass tube which are a close sliding fit with each other. The ‘bearing’ is brass tube which is a reasonable sliding fit on the larger size square tube.

The elevator actuating horn is made from a scrap of old copper lined pcboard. The one shown in the pic is 1mm carbon sheet but it did not work as the glue joint failed in testing, the pcb is soldered to the square brass tube which is the main drive to the elevator.

Piano wire (can’t remember the gauge) is a good fit and soldered into the smaller brass square tube which is cut and formed into the elevator blades plugin drivers.

The brass tube bearings are epoxied to the center of the tailplane and fuselage sides. And then  re -enforced with carbon tows.

The elevator blades are center hinged with the stuff power flyers use (Mylar/fabric?) and gapsealed with Profilm.

The main tailplane  joiner rod is carbon,  run in ally tube. The front rod is piano wire run in brass tube. The tailplanes are secured onto the model by  grub screws in wheel collets which are filed down to fit and soldered to the  front brass tubes

IMG_0586a.jpg

IMG_0587a.jpg

IMG_0874a.jpg

IMG_0876a.jpg

Excellent! Thanks Pete!

I have a Phase 6 kit which I keep threatening to start and I agree the fixed tailplane was always a bit of a pain.

I may well copy your idea.

Thanks again.