6th 2020 2m Hi Start 14 day Duration Challenge

martynk

A placeholder for the 6th 2M Hi-Start 14 day duration Challenge for 2020

Please submit your score below. The clock will start when the first score is submitted.

This is a for fun challenge, anyone with a bungee-launched glider up to 2 metres wingspan and the standard Hi-Start can post a time.

Object: Fly your 2 metre glider for as long as possible from a flat field, the person who's time is unbeaten for 14 days 'wins' and a new challenge starts.

Rules: Launches must be made from the standard Challenge Hi-Start bungee. Flight times begin when line releases from the towhook and the model must land in the field for times to count. While the object is to encourage F3-RES types, any model up to 2 metre span may be flown (F3-RES, foam, full house aileron mouldie) but please state the type of model with your time.

The standard Hi-Start bungee is a maximum of 10m of 6/4mm surgical tubing and 50m of static line (minimum 30lb breaking strain). Lighter/smaller bungee rubber may be used.

Fly safely! No slope soaring

• 2 weeks later...
Pete in Northiam

A stake in the (g)round: flight of 1m 53sec on 21/09/2020 at Levels 87 MFC field near Pevensey.  Log below: 

1305534726_RES-Eagle-2020-09-21bestofday.thumb.jpg.6a2f3123dbfdec00423b99c67aa7519e.jpg

A hot day, 28C in the afternoon, but completely dead air on 16 of 17 launches and the one bubble I hit (this flight) was ten feet wide and surrounded by sink.  Ho hum, lots of launch practice and my "Bungee mode" flight trim is now hands free on launch.  :)

I am offering the bungees I have been using for sale.  They use the 10m of 6mm OD x 4mm ID Hilltop silicone rubber tubing terminated with screw eyes.  I have completed over 50 full-stretch launches with one without failure or any noticeable degradation.  £30 + postage (about £3) and £3.50 for an optional 50m of 30lb breaking strain braided non-stretch line (same postage, not 35lb in photo).  Bring your own pennant/parachute. I can take payment via PayPal.  Contact me directly (p.r.newman at lineone dot net) if interested! 

You can read some of the test results here.  

Cheers --Pete

20200917_110643.thumb.jpg.37c41b913f70db20991b9b2bb91b2c08.jpg

Edited by Pete in Northiam
Correct line specification
  • Like 1
Pete in Northiam

I have sold out of my first batch of tubing so thanks to those who bought a short-field bungee :) I look forward to reading about their use - once the current gales subside!

If anyone else among you might want one, please email me (p.r.newman at lineone dot net).  No up-front payment, just an indication of interest please.  

The minimum order quantity for the tubing means I need to sell four to break even at those prices.  

Please let me know if you want in on the next batch. 

Cheers --Pete

cc: F3-RES Bungees thread

martynk

Well I went out yesterday afternoon, Arrived at the field - everything present except for a Rx battery... Grrrr

Today was grandchild minding day but I did escape just before 4:30 and got 5 flights in before dark. Very dull, grey sky, cool, calm and the air felt dead.

Best flight was 2:43, all were 2 minutes plus except one where I had inadvertently set the spoilers at launch. Not an especially good idea. Shame really as the air actually didn't look too bad..

image.thumb.png.17ac9eb7f97522eb6647f39801eb780a.png

So.... this one is still alive although the weather forecast over the next few days does not look good..

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
martynk

Looks like I won that one.  

I'll put up a post for the 7th postal and update the table tomorrow 

Well done Martyn

This Sat looks interesting. Very light winds but heavy clouds. I might have a go if the ground isn’t too boggy

Also. I agree with you looking at multiple shorter flights e.g 3 x 10 mins in a set timed window. 

martynk

Thanks Guy

Certainly getting more challenging as it gets cooler and the days get shorter.