Removing old film (Multiplex)

Darren_O

I have an unflown Multiplex Kranich that someone took a saw to in an attempt to add flaps. The saw job is that bad I've just reglued them back in rather than attempt to finish the previous owners handiwork.

In doing so I've had to remove some film. Is there an easy way of getting it off without leaving the white behind and what's the best film to redo it with? I have some HK film but is there a heavier gauge quality option out there? 

Many thanks.

satinet

Generally heat helps. Either with a covering iron or heat gun. 

If it's solarfilm then it's pretty much impossible in my experience. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
pete beadle

Hi Darren-O

As Tom says, heat is the great remover....but you have to be careful to not overheat the adhesive on the film:no:

When I was learning to cover with Solarfilm, Profilm(Oracover) and/or Solartex I tried covering odd bits of wood to see if I could find the critical temperature at which the adhesive became soft enough to remove cleanly, and I found that the most important thing(s) to do was to keep the heat gun moving so it didn't burn holes in the film, and to always start with a low heat and gradually increase the temperature without changing the distance between the iron (or heat gun) and the film

Like most things, it comes down to practice, practice, practice

Peeling the heated film off with a BLUNT scalpel blade is a breeze when you find the right temperature, just don't rush it!

Regards

Pete

BARCS1702  

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Darren_O said:

I have an unflown Multiplex Kranich that someone took a saw to in an attempt to add flaps. The saw job is that bad I've just reglued them back in rather than attempt to finish the previous owners handiwork.

In doing so I've had to remove some film. Is there an easy way of getting it off without leaving the white behind and what's the best film to redo it with? I have some HK film but is there a heavier gauge quality option out there? 

Many thanks.

Use a heat iron/gun to soften the film and pull off what you can.  The remaining residue can be removed by using a quality packing tape rubbed down onto the remaining colour.  Whatever is left, just remove with acetone and using a razor blade as a scraper.

Cover the wing with White Oracover. Plenty strong enough and it stays where you put it for years.

Have fun. The Kranich is well worth restoring and it's a great glider either on the field or the slope..

• Like 2