Soar Ahead Sailplanes A new beginning

Nick Reeves

Hi All,

Firstly I would like to introduce myself. My name is Nick Reeves and although I have only just joined this site, I have been building and flying for 35ish years. 

I have this year taken over the production of the traditional (wood & foam veneer) range of Soar Ahead Sailplanes from Wes at Lancaster models. The range of designs are all going to be re engineered to be able to be produced using more modern CNC machinery but keep all of the original lines and performance. As i'm sure you'll be aware these things take time and as yet I have no set dates for release of any particular model or design. That said though the first batch of Blob's has already sold out and have been well recieved....even by SAS royalty himself Mr Head.

So before anyone asks, this is where I am with the designs just now. The Blob 40" span glider is now available (well it is when I can keep up with demand), the next release will be the i/c powered version of the Blob 40". Alongside this, the Apache is having new production moulds made for the fuselage as the originals have distorted over the years. Once this is done the kits shouldn't be too far behind. The Aggressor might well appear around the same sort of time as the mould for it's fuselage are good to go. Many of you will want to know about the Thing. Well that is being worked on as well and all three sizes (1m, 1.5m, & 2m) will become available as slope, i/c and electric power versions. Other designs that will come to fruition are the StarJet and the Ace but these might be further away.

for more info my website is www.njrmodelling.co.uk or look for NJR Modelling on facebook. One last thing to add is that this venture is not my day job and that is the main reason for things taking a while. I want to keep these designs alive for the years to come and I hope I can do that.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Redbird said:

My mistake, sorry. Good luck with it. 

Hardly why would you think you have to click on the word product ?  I concluded the same until i found the secret door after reading the second post.  Glad to see it back though 

• Like 1

I would suggest a change of text, or boxes around the selection blocks. Currently it looks more like a strap line than a range of selections. 

Great stuff, nice to read about a business starting up instead of closing down.

I did see the Lancaster Models kits but was too slow to order, I would definitely buy a 1 metre Thing, had one years ago.

Have a 60" Thing hanging up in my shed, it was given to me battered but flyable.

If you need a beta build I can easily clear my bench!

All the best

Gary

• 6 months later...
Mr Barnstormer

Hi Nick,

Think I’ve managed to send an enquiry on your website- how is the SAS Apache rework going? 

Always lusted after a kit first time round as a teenager but couldn’t afford one. 40 years on a reworked version would be a lot of fun - updated aerofoil too?

How’s the project coming along?

Thanks

Nick Reeves

The whole process of re-engineering and re-releasing the tradional SAS designs is taking a long time. The Apache is being worked on and is going to as close to the original as i can make it. the aerfoil is not going to be changed, if i did it would not be an apache.

John Minchell

This has reminded me to get my half-built original Apache out of the loft and complete it ready for the ISA nostalgia day in September.

John M