DLG set up questions

Marc RC pilot

A few more questions if you please.

1) in thermal mode the glider changes its angle of attack to a nose up attitude which results in a slight porpoising if left unchecked.  Should one mix in a tad of down elevator to compensate? Or is a result of using to much camber?

2) How do I set up an automatic audible low voltage warning for rx battery on Tx? I'm fine with setting up audible alerts etc  just can't seem to find rx battery info. I've got Rssi tx and rx battery voltages on display screen,

Using opentx

Many thanks 

Edited by Marc RC pilot
Hit post button by mistake
  • Marc RC pilot changed the title to DLG set up questions
Marc RC pilot

3) With a dlg launch it seems  common practice to have a launch phase (reflex camber/tad up elev), Zoom phase (reflex camber only) and what I call the over-the-top phase (all controls surfaces back in cruise/neutral mode).

What technique/programming do people use for this lauch procedure? (eg automatic reset at the over-the-top phase when you kick in down elevator to level out like some seem to do,  or is there other ways that people use).

(5) Radom one: Why don't we see bigger dlg's (eg 2m)?

1. Use a separate 'flight phase' (trim state) for 'thermal mode' and any other 'mode' - each trim state can have different 'camber' and elevator settings.  Generally, any camber change will require an elevator change to re-trim.

Sounds like your model wants to stall when you drop the flaps - this could just be the transitional effect of excess speed - it wants to fly more slowly with the increased camber.  If it still wants to stall after it's slowed down to a steady speed, you need a little down elevator in the thermal phase.

2.  Pass.  I don't speak open tx.

3.  'Launch phase' aka 'Launch pre-set'.  Have this on a spring return control if you possibly can.  The control is held on until a fraction of a second after release to get the model's nose up to the climb angle you want.  Flap and elevator settings set as required.  The designer may advise a flap angle.  Set the up elevator to get the pitch-up rate you want.

'Zoom phase'.  Normally has 'up flap' aka reflex camber, elevator set to make the model climb in a straight patch - no pitching up or down.  Down elevator required.

4.  I think the method I first saw on MikeDLG's Tx is a good one.  He has a three position switch, sprung to centre from the 'launch preset' position. When the preset is released, the switch goes to the centre position - 'zoom phase'.  As he bunts, he pushes the switch to the third position and this transfers phase settings to a second three position switch to set the required phase at any time during the flight. (speed, thermal, etc.)  The next launch resets the system as he pulls the switch back to its spring position for the preset.

5.  The F3K rules limit span to 1.5m.  You can try discus launching any size glider - there was a video of a 3m model being discus launched on youtube at one time.....

PS it's still there...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RiymYMxt8CI

I think that's the Bill Watson who was on Paul MacCready's man powered flight team.

Marc RC pilot

Thank you for taking the time to go through it Mike. lol on number 2...Trying hard to understand this language myself... :) slowly slowly...

Regarding  answer to qestion1: I will start tweaking elevator responses on various camber modes, makes good sense. Thank you. 

At the mo I have my launch on a momentary button on tx which kicks in a little reflex and up elevator. I messed about with amount of up elevator yesterday at field which made a huge difference in flight path/reaction times (I had too much up elv programmed in). I will go over/digest answer number 4 as this sounds interesting.

Thanks again as it has been/still is a huge learning curve for me (open tx/digital RC systems, dlg and the myriad of settings they can have etc). Lovin' it :)

Found this 3m dlg launch on youtube going back 17years! :)

Paul Gleeson

Are you using OpenTX?

If you then low battery warnings are simple to implement. You need to "discover" your telemetry sensors, and you should end up with one called RxBt.

Set up a logical switch comparing RxBt to a voltage value

Then setup 2 special functions to announce a low battery warning and the voltage value

I'll read thru the rest of your questions a bit later.....

specfunc.PNG

logswitch.PNG

Paul Gleeson

For my setup I have a push button for the launch preset to rotate the DLG into a climb, this is released almost immediately after you have released the glider, my which time the glider has rotated into the attitude for climbing

Then I have a 3 position switch for speed / cruise / thermal modes.

Landing mode is activated when pulling the throttle stick down.

Each mode requires some adjustment of the elevator trim for a level flight with a stable attitude.

You need a lot of down elevator when deploying full flaps. Typically 40% to 50% of the elevator travel.

I do have a separate "hidden" mode as the glider is climbing during the launch, but my setting for this mode are the same as my speed mode,

This is deactivated by selecting another flight mode, pushing down elevator, or if it is engaged for more than 5 seconds.

I use the elements of the JFrickmann SoarOTX DLG program. This is a great starting point, and includes all the feature above and a lot more to help you set up your DLG, and records you flights and scores

https://github.com/jfrickmann/SoarOTX/wiki

Hope this helps.

Taranis.jpg

Paul Gleeson

Oh and is you want to try 2 setups you can. Just bind each model with the same receiver number.

This is not so robust as the Spektrum model match, so care is required to have different numbers for different receivers.

Marc RC pilot

Paul, that has and will help me big-time. Thank you!

Will look into JFrickmann. Just getting my head around the basic Otx programming...getting there but I fear that logical stuff.... :) 

Replacing old servos with new on my trusty old Longshot...

20200923_130157.jpg

Marc RC pilot
6 minutes ago, Paul Gleeson said:

Oh and is you want to try 2 setups you can. Just bind each model with the same receiver number.

This is not so robust as the Spektrum model match, so care is required to have different numbers for different receivers.

Another thing learned. Brill. Thx

Paul Gleeson

Actually, the JFrickmann program makes the setup of a DLG from scratch really quite easy. Definitely worth a look.

It will take you through matching aileron travels, elevator / rudder throws etc.

Marc RC pilot

Sounds like a great complimentary program! . I've been doing most of the setting up through the TX screen and making back ups/checking my programming with Opentx. We really are spoilt for choice/options in this 2.4ghz RC era

Marc RC pilot

Joshua's tutorial on understanding logical switches and how to make your Taranis read out low voltage:

Marc RC pilot
18 hours ago, Paul Gleeson said:

Are you using OpenTX?

If you then low battery warnings are simple to implement. You need to "discover" your telemetry sensors, and you should end up with one called RxBt.

Set up a logical switch comparing RxBt to a voltage value

Then setup 2 special functions to announce a low battery warning and the voltage value

I'll read thru the rest of your questions a bit later.....

specfunc.PNG

logswitch.PNG

Good morning Paul. 

I managed (Joshua video) to ad another logical switch (L02/ Function a>x) which stops that annoying "zero" value warning for when you turn on TX but don't have the rx on. Ad in L02 into L01's "AND Switch" menu so L01 knows not to kick in unless there is a voltage higher than 0.0 

1914949906_Rxbtlogicalswitch1.thumb.PNG.06c70a4c295b5185a28ff3310a496b93.PNG

Now need to figure out how to stop flaps from kicking in by accident during Launch... :)

Mark Evans

Marc,

Just use Jespers or Adrians F3K programs off RCG, will give you everything you need without having to figure it out yourself. You’ll be out flying rather than messing around with your radio or having to watch JB. 

If you still want to program it yourself then get Mickey Nowells dlg/Taranis for dummies pdf, shows you the logical switching for the virtual zoom mode (no flaps). 

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost.php?p=35958132&postcount=709

But if you get Jespers program it’s all done for you ready, you also get the F3K task script to practice on your own out at the field. 

Failing that just make sure you push your throttle stick back up to top before launching. I have gone back to this very simple set up since switching back to Spektrum, I thought I would launch with the flaps still down but I haven’t, it’s been a none issue. 

• Thanks 1
Paul Gleeson

Easy (if you know how)

Look at the aileron mixers that have a flap input. You can set which flight mode the line is active in

Just un-tick your launch flight mode

NoFlap.PNG

• Thanks 1
Marc RC pilot

I've been tinkering with settings etc and I messed up somewhere along the line (my speciality) as I cannot for the life of me get my brakes/flaps to disengage by un-ticking the appropriate flight modes. I've tried many combos and I think I missed. Bear with me as this is my first few attempts at programming my DLG from scratch. I think I got some of the basics setup wrong (like flight modes and mixers). I am endeavouring to get to grips with companion has it is a lot easier to navigate (instead of TX screen).  

All good fun really and it certainly gets the old brain cell working.    

Would someone be kind enough to have a quick look at my Longshot files and nudge me in right direction please?

Pics:

Longshot2 setup screen 2.PNG

Longshot2 setup screen 3.PNG

Longshot2 setup screen 4.PNG

Longshot2 setup screen 5.PNG

Longshot2 setup screen 6.PNG

Longshot2 setup screen 7.PNG

Longshot2 setup screen 8.PNG

Longshot2 setup screen 9.PNG

Longshot2 setup screen 10.PNG

Longshot2 setup screen 11.PNG

Longshot2 setup screen 12.PNG

Longshot2 setup screen 13.PNG

Longshot2 setup screen1.PNG

Marc RC pilot

I just pulled up a downloaded DLG OTX file and compared it to mine and I think I went wrong in no setting up the trims on the various flight modes. I've nbeen doing it all through the mixers.. 

Pic of DLG flight mode tab in comparison:

754284355_Longshot2setupscreen14.thumb.PNG.8d184ef4602952dcfd2c4bd9cd49934b.PNG

image.png.fad78392d1d40c88b0b2f64c7b1ac1ec.png

Martin O

Marc

You have a lot of mixes going on which could be a lot simpler.

My method (there are others!):

I would recommend getting to grips with servo calibration, this is basically setting up a  calibration flight mode thats selected with a special latch and using curves to get left and right flap travel servos to exactly match each other. Well documented here https://rc-soar.com/opentx/setups/calib/calibration.htm

You can then use a single Global Variable to position an offset for flaps within each flight mode. Flight modes have a higherachy so the lowest selected will overide any higher ones.

Personally I order them like this.

FM1 - Calibration, Fm2 - Launch, FM3 - Zoom, FM4 - Landing, FM 5 6 7 - Speed Cruise Thermal. 

Landing mode obviously needs a mix on the the throttle stick, I set logic switches so that when throttle is less that 98 landing mode is selected, but won't select unless throttle is first returned to more than 98. If lanch mode is selected flaps will go up (remember higherachy). The other mixes can use a simple GV for offset of flaps, elevator and rudder to suit desired positions in each flight mode.

You can go on to be a bit more complicated with how the flight modes are selected but hopefully this helps a bit.

Marc RC pilot

Thanks a bunch Martin!

Ah yes, servo calibration/good mechanical setup, global variables and setting flight modes correctly...Ok 👍

I will keep cracking away and enjoying/suffering with the learning curve as I really want to get my head around this powerful Open tx software so that I can do my own stuff. It is starting to get easier and the pennies are starting to drop. 

Your help and advice is much appreciated

Cheers

Marc  

Martin O
On 28/09/2020 at 06:07, Marc RC pilot said:

Thanks a bunch Martin!

Ah yes, servo calibration/good mechanical setup, global variables and setting flight modes correctly...Ok 👍

I will keep cracking away and enjoying/suffering with the learning curve as I really want to get my head around this powerful Open tx software so that I can do my own stuff. It is starting to get easier and the pennies are starting to drop. 

Your help and advice is much appreciated

Cheers

Marc  

No problem, I was much the same when I first started with Otx. I was determined to do my own program's and understand how everything works, it's like a second hobby and very satisfying when you get things to work how you want them. You could off course use someone else's templates but to me not as much fun.

Once you get the basic framework done you can start adding other things like switching out of zoom automatically when you push elevator or time out, adjustable camber in thermal mode on a slider, snap flap, spoken launch heights (if using vario) and whatever else you think off.

Another useful trick is understanding cascading mixers https://rc-soar.com/opentx/setups/gvars_highmix/highmix.htm

Good luck.