Acacia 3

andrewdorset

Does anyone know who manufactured the Acacia range of models. Just picked up the Acacia 3 and cant find much on the web about it. I found Ian Masons review and Knewts, but nothing else. Anyone had  one , or give some advice. Will be used for sport flying only. Cheers.

Thanks for the responses . I have just managed a test flight on my local slope , between showers !!, in a strong and gusty wind. Flew ok, wasn,t ballasted so a bit lively but was quick enough and responsive. Needs more setting up in better conditions but all in all not bad. Not as locked in as my Ellipse 2 , but probably due to the heavy gusts  pushing it about  Checked the wing leading edges on reading your post Pete, but all good , no gaps or missing material, sound. Nice model for an older design, 

As I recall they were made by a chap called Marian Maslo in the Czech Republic or Slovakia.   I don't know if he is still going or has a web site etc. Don't think so.

The A3 did fly well. Quality could be really bad to be honest. On the A3 the fuselage has a tendency to split at the vtail mounts due to the leverage the tail rods put on it (the rods don't go though to the other side of the fuse).

Think the cg was about 105mm

andrewdorset

Thanks Mark, hadn,t found that post. Interesting stuff seems everyone prefered the Acacia 2. Regarding the fuse , on mine the tail looks like it has been repaired at the tail/fuse junction. Repaired well with carbon and feels really strong, i won,t be worrying about that, but Satinet what do you mean about the rods not going through to the other side of the fuse ?

DSCN0527.thumb.JPG.bc7c3d0838475c235852882fe92c4ac1.JPG

DSCN0528.thumb.JPG.95ae558af436fcdcc6cf1d752ac30653.JPG

This is what it should or could be like. Although most models have V shaped joiner glued in to the rear of the fuselage which I think is better.

As I recall the acacia 3 tail joiners just go in to holes in the fuselage and aren't fixed in any proper way. So bending forces on the tail (e.g high speed turn) split the fuselage. It's pretty rubbish tbh. 

If it were me I would tempted to drill the holes right through like the above and put in some longer rods which I would glue in. Acacias are a bit like a box of chocolates.

andrewdorset

Right,got it. Thats a good idea i,l see if ican adopt that .Its tight in the back end though, don,t know if i can wiggle past the elevator connections. will give it a go. Rest of the model seems good to me, wings especially.

1 minute ago, andrewdorset said:

Right,got it. Thats a good idea i,l see if ican adopt that .Its tight in the back end though, don,t know if i can wiggle past the elevator connections. will give it a go. Rest of the model seems good to me, wings especially.

Well I didn't see that you said it had already been reinforced so you might as well see how you go. At least you are aware of it. 

andrewdorset

The repair is mostly on the bottom of the fuse just in front of the tailplane so i reckon its been off at some point, doesn,t seem to be any more cloth on the top side. Thinking about it a hard positive g turn would put more stress on the top of the tailplane or the bottom ?

I would love another Acacia 2.. mine was a dog as per slopejunkies, Martins A1 was a work of art in comparison.  Mine was deffo a 'morning after the night' before job!

So any A2's kicking about in the loft?

Rob

• Haha 1