Post 2020 Season Friendly

PaulR

As discussed on the (cancelled) Twywell event thread, there is a general feeling that we'd like to have another get together to get in a bit more flying before the end of the year.

Any further event would not be an official league event and would have no effect on 2020 results.

So, if anyone has a venue they can suggest (ideally on a day with guaranteed sunshine) then please make the suggestion!

Richmond park?

@mikef, @cirrusRC - any chance of TVSF hosting?

I don't have any better suggestions myself. I could ask BathSparcs at Charmy Down but given the committees etc involved in sorting out the cancelled July date I think it would be a non-starter.

cirrusRC

TVSF has insufficient parking and flight restrictions in place.   The logical choice would be back at Twywell if farmer can be contacted.

Next weekend is looking good weather wise.

Would Mike F be willing to come?  I assume this is your last season in F3k as coordinator.  Feels like you deserve a proper send off.   

Failing that we'd need to source PA equipment.

Alternative is just a casual fly in at somewhere like RP.

mikef

The PA gear belongs to F3K so no problem there.  If I can't attend, we can get the gear to someone who can.  Someone will need to look after it long term in any case.  The cones, pegs and winding reel for the tape are mine but I hereby donate them to their new custodian.  There's some new tape on a reel as well.

Agree with cirrusRC, TVSF has too little parking - we cannot get cars into the field at the moment.  Twywell - scared of the mud.  Richmond park - 300 metres from car park to field and PA/ tape would be a step too far without formal permission from the Park Authorites - it's a public Royal Park.

cirrusRC

BMFA center looks free next weekend?  Looking at the calendar.   Not sure on the process though.

am I flogging a dead horse here?  Too short notice?  People interested?

thechalster

Interested 

would like to get my mo jo back.

mikef
5 hours ago, cirrusRC said:

BMFA center looks free next weekend?  Looking at the calendar.   Not sure on the process though.

Contact Manny Williamson at the centre.  There will be casual flying going on if there's no specific event in the calendar.

I might come along if it was a really nice day.

• Like 1
cirrusRC

I emailed Manny.  Let's see what he says at such short notice.

cirrusRC

BMFA center can't help us this weekend.  Unless anyone else has any bright ideas, looks like we will reconvene next year.

• Sad 1
MikeDLG

If we do Richmond Park sometime, it will have to be a fun event as we could not roll out tape and speakers etc, unless we get special permission.  It is a long shot as a big issue is the public and especially the deer (and rightly so) having priority to the space.  

cirrusRC

Not worth the risk Mike.

Long range shows we might have some high pressure mid month (cold but light winds), after that not looking good.    I wondered whether Little Bentley might be an option at short notice.

Bottom line, the best of the weather is gone.  

Hopefully we get another informal fly at RP like last year! ( I think it was myself, Simon and you).  Pretty sure we were super lucky with the weather too.

Simon B

I'm totally up for a get together, timing and weather permitting, I have got relocating home and workshop mostly sorted, all models still in storage but not far away and an internet connection now, so I'll keep an eye here. Let's hope for a little more summer.

• Like 1
carlosds

Great news you've sorted your missions mostly done Simon. Hopefully we'll be able to sort something. RP seems the most likely spot.

cirrusRC

Hi @tonym just wondered whether there was any chance of little Bentley field running an f3k comp this weekend?  Sat or Sunday or both?

Wind looks light but cool.  Let us know your thoughts, thanks.

• Like 1
tonym

Apologies for not seeing this sooner, been a bit distracted the last few weeks.

Too late for this weekend, and I've not been over the field lately to check how the rain has made access a problem - probably not.

The Bartletts Farm field might be available which is bit closer to London, I'll have a word and see what the club that flies there thinks.

• Like 1