F3F Article 1990

Baldyslapnut

Baldyslapnut

I had this come to me from an ex F3F pilot Tim Whale. Tim was going through a box of old modelling magazines and thought Dave and John Phillips would like to be remember what they used to look 30 years ago.

Ian Rose looks exceptionally young.

F3F Article Page 1.jpg

F3F Article Page 2.jpg

• Like 3
f3fman

I wonder if Tim Whale ever learned his left from his right.  Chas Gardner wrote left and right on his hands in Denmark after he rolled the wrong way and into the slope, I remember the tailplane fluttering up over the edge of the slope  🙂

Phil.Taylor

Interesting stuff - didnt know you could get an Ellipse in 1990 - thought they came later

Phil.

• Like 2
Swalleau

I don’t look that young anymore!!!

The Ellipse 1 changed everything.  I flew Tom Mac’s at Crooke Peak and bought 2!  I met Jaro in the car park at Vienna Airport and brought 5 back into the UK.  One of them is still flyable!  Vintage Plastic.

Iain

• Like 1
pete beadle

Hi all

Way, way back I was "introduced" to the Valenta "Dragon Mark 1" in a comp held at the Fairlop field and this particular model was also to become a major part of the rise of "plastic" competition 'planes

Vaclav Valenta appeared un-announced, and without fanfare at the comp, with six (or so) Dragons in the back of his van and began selling them to the assembled and very interested pilots, literally from the back of his van. I remember the basic Dragon moulded airframe was £175.00 cash and that very few of the flyers present had that sort of disposable cash. One chap though, disappeared to the nearest cashpoint, and  returned with the £300.00 needed to buy two(!) and started the rush to plastic there and then

Another lovely story went round the BARCS Open comps slightly later, when John Shaw and Neil Webb turned up with half a dozen "Thermik C's" they'd picked up in person from Vaclav's workshop in the (then) Czech Republic, destined for various of the FACCT Open pilots, who'd clubbed together to make the whole thing possible, and Neil, with his own, inimitable sense of humour, had plastered the six 'planes with Union Jacks to give credence to his story that theses 'planes were destined for the UK F3J/F3B teams, and, as a result, not attracting import duty and VAT! What a character Neil was! - sadly missed  

I had a Dragon, and much later, an ex "Murky" Knights Thermik C, which is still giving Sterling service to Jim Wright, Chairman of the ISA to this day and, hopefully, for a long time to come - yes, it's my old one, so, if you see him using it, you'll know its pedigree:yes::thumbsup: 

Regards

Pete

BARCS 1702

f3fman

I had 2 Ellipse 1s, one went off to fly in South Africa, not sure where the other ended up.  My fastest F3F time was with an Ellipse1, 34.x seconds, Hole of Horcum, which I never beat, even with "newer models" Ellipse2, Acacia, Pike WR, New Sting, Willow.  Maybe need to get one of the new fangled slim line ones 🙂 

• Like 1
Baldyslapnut

Hi John,

After 90 second of happiness that day. You flew straight after me. My time was 34.87. Just over 1 second off the World Record. As I walked back to land I could hear the beeps from your flight and I thought wow that sounds fast. You got the 1,000 points that round.

Ian, 

Did you start going to meet Jaro after I went out or before? I remember meeting them in the car park with my special cardboard transportation boxes which were so strong. I went 5 times and bought back 5 planes each time.

Each time Jaro and his friends were in the same clothes. Sporting Rudi Voller mullets and fluro green track suits.

Regards

Greg

• Like 2
Swalleau
5 hours ago, Baldyslapnut said:

Hi John,

After 90 second of happiness that day. You flew straight after me. My time was 34.87. Just over 1 second off the World Record. As I walked back to land I could hear the beeps from your flight and I thought wow that sounds fast. You got the 1,000 points that round.

Ian, 

Did you start going to meet Jaro after I went out or before? I remember meeting them in the car park with my special cardboard transportation boxes which were so strong. I went 5 times and bought back 5 planes each time.

Each time Jaro and his friends were in the same clothes. Sporting Rudi Voller mullets and fluro green track suits.

Regards

Greg

I borrowed your boxes.  Collected them for your dad on the way out to Vienna if I recall.  Spent three days hoovering some Viennese culture before meeting the be-mulleted crew in the airport car park.  I spoke to Jaro and said I was happy to drive over the border and he said that was a really dangerous idea.....

strange that my fastest time is with an Ellipse 1.  38 or 39.....  

• Like 2
Baldyslapnut

Hi Iain,

Of course you did. Thank you for reminding me. Dad thought you were a very polite young man.

Greg

f3fman
9 hours ago, Baldyslapnut said:

Hi Iain,

Of course you did. Thank you for reminding me. Dad thought you were a very polite young man.

Greg

Greg, your Dad must have been thinking of someone else  😉 

• Haha 1