7th 2020 2m Hi Start 14 day Duration Challenge

martynk

A placeholder for the 7th 2M Hi-Start 14 day duration Challenge for 2020

Please submit your score below. The clock will start when the first score is submitted.

This is a for fun challenge, anyone with a bungee-launched glider up to 2 metres wingspan and the standard Hi-Start can post a time.

Object: Fly your 2 metre glider for as long as possible from a flat field, the person who's time is unbeaten for 14 days 'wins' and a new challenge starts.

Rules: Launches must be made from the standard Challenge Hi-Start bungee. Flight times begin when line releases from the towhook and the model must land in the field for times to count. While the object is to encourage F3-RES types, any model up to 2 metre span may be flown (F3-RES, foam, full house aileron mouldie) but please state the type of model with your time.

The standard Hi-Start bungee is a maximum of 10m of 6/4mm surgical tubing and 50m of static line (minimum 30lb breaking strain). Lighter/smaller bungee rubber may be used.

Fly safely! No slope soaring

Managed to get out today. Waited until the power fliers had gone home and started flying at about 3:30pm.  Despite the cold and drizzle (just ended as I started with the glider), the air was calm and quite buoyant. I had about 12 flights, 3 over 4 minutes, 5 between 3 and 4 minutes and the rest over 2 minutes. Really quite pleased as I was having to look for lift. Probably learnt more about reading the model in that one hour than the past 4 years..

Packed up when the sun came out briefly and the air went dead.

Best flight 4:37

image.thumb.png.4cd735a255e52514a4734b42b1632adf.png

• Like 3

11 degrees, grey skies, no wind and no feathered friends.    First fly of my XRES in ages.    See my other thread for my DLG flight just before this one - insane for October.    I was optimistic for a reasonable RES flight.

3rd launch off the high start - picked up some light lift and slowly worked it to 200 meters,   switched to a different part of the sky and found some better lift until I topped out at 400 meters.    Pretty uneventful compared to my DLG flight and fairly straight forward - the lift was smooth and consistent.   At around 2:15pm the air went cooler and the lift evaporated, I searched around but didn't find anything.   I came down pretty quickly after that.      Chuffed for mid October to have such a good flight.    I suspect this will be the last good thermal weekend of the year.

David |   XRES |  35 mins 12 seconds    | October 17th 2020

resoct.thumb.JPG.a12d1a9b5e6a00dd797678e73a4bff5c.JPG

Ignore the time scale - my TX reset back to the year 1999 and midnight for some reason.

• Like 2

Pete in Northiam

Well done both not many good weather windows recently. I want to get up this coming  week but I'm hampered by renovation work and tradespeople in the house. Fingers crossed for plasterers on a fine day! :) Meanwhile, in the garage...

20201018_182626.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...