FrSky Servo Chatter with Telemetry

Scruffmeister

Scruffmeister

I'm finding that when telemetry is on for my FrSky RX6R the servos are pulsing, goes away with telemetry off. My assumption is this pulse is caused by the Rx powering up to transmit back to the Tx. Unfortunately in the tight fuselage of a glider the servo cable and shielded part of the Rx aerial have little choice but to be very near on another. Since I don't really have the option to move the Rx/wires in this model but I am wondering if some shielding could be employed on the servo wires. I assume others have encountered this - what was your cure?

satinet

Yes this question pops up from time to time.

There isn't really a solution to it. I put a ferrite ring on some mks 6125e servos (which were curiously advertised as glider servos). But it didn't cure it.

Really it's either change the servos or the RF system. Knocking off the telemetry will probably cure it as you've discovered. 

N.b it isn't an frsky specific problem. You just have to stop using some servos. I had to change the tail servos on 2 f3f/b models. You also have to be careful as to which servos you buy.

William

What update are you on? Have you updated Tx and Rx to ACCST 2.1.0 and if so, have you re-bound the receiver?

satinet
3 minutes ago, William said:

What update are you on? Have you updated Tx and Rx to ACCST 2.1.0 and if so, have you re-bound the receiver?

The problem is with the servos. Updating your Rx isn't going to alter the interference the servos can't cope with.

Scruffmeister
20 minutes ago, satinet said:

The problem is with the servos. Updating your Rx isn't going to alter the interference the servos can't cope with.

Agreed, this isn't a firmware issue. But for the record I am on the latest ACCST 2.1.0.

27 minutes ago, satinet said:

Yes this question pops up from time to time.

There isn't really a solution to it. I put a ferrite ring on some mks 6125e servos (which were curiously advertised as glider servos). But it didn't cure it.

Really it's either change the servos or the RF system. Knocking off the telemetry will probably cure it as you've discovered. 

N.b it isn't an frsky specific problem. You just have to stop using some servos. I had to change the tail servos on 2 f3f/b models. You also have to be careful as to which servos you buy.

Thanks, these are just bog standard Hitec HS-645MG in the body of my Phase 5. Any tips on which servos are less susceptible?

Redbird

Well for what it's worth, I have found  Kingmax wing servos  to be silent and still under no load using Frsky G-rx8, which makes a nice change to annoying noisy old mks6125 's but the KST tail servos chatter a little.

satinet
16 hours ago, Scruffmeister said:

Agreed, this isn't a firmware issue. But for the record I am on the latest ACCST 2.1.0.

Thanks, these are just bog standard Hitec HS-645MG in the body of my Phase 5. Any tips on which servos are less susceptible?

There isn't really anyway of knowing until you try it as manufacturers don't advertise the fact that their servos don't work properly in a modern RF system. I have only got one model with standard size servos and it's doesn't have telemetry, so I can't advise.   

Scram

Would it help to change the servo cable to twisted wire type?

Alternatively, wrap the servo cable in ally foil and maybe connect that to the negative side of receiver power.  This connection to the -ve is absolute speculation, I'm no electronics eng!!