Opinions on Composite RC models?

Ned

2 hours ago, Ned said:

Excellent idea and I looked at T9 for one of them or an RCRCM but Richard has no stock. Hyperflight have a couple of Forza 2.5m but they are actually more expensive than the Interstellar, as is the Schwing Corsa 108 so I wouldn’t save anything, especially as I’ve been offered a good deal on the RTF version so all I would need to do is drop in a receiver. I have plenty of kits lined up on the workbench so that’s a very attractive offer.

I hadn’t  looked at the RCRCM website but if the delivery is not too steep that might be a good option.

Thank you all for the suggestions, I shall keep on looking,

Although I don't have any interest is his company zhou is making the Schwing 108 I believe

https://www.rgmcn.com/h-pd-36.html  

As I said, I have no financial interest but I've worked with him for the last 10 years and he's making some really nice stuff for me right now.

Yes I love the baudis/freestyler models as well.  

Ian

29 minutes ago, Ned said:

Website says they are made by the company.

They're lying though.

Sounds like you've done well with the used deal

Tbh part of them problem is that people buy rcrcm without having any or much experience with mouldies and find them great compared to what they're used to. Then go on line and tell the world it's the best thing since sliced bread. But if you've had high end f3x stuff it is far less impressive especially in the build quality. I don't want that to come across as arrogant but I think it is a valid point.

The big problem with aeroic is constantly hearing what a massive genius a certain designer is all the time and how the rest of the world is set in a grand conspiracy against said unbermensch.  Or maybe it's just me that finds it grating. 

No part of me wants to pay serious money for rcrcm planes. I've had 3 and two were garbage and one was poor. Fair play to rcrcm though they make stuff easily available unlike many a euro mouldie manufacturer we might mention.

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, Ned said:

Website says they are made by the company.

Doesnt say who they are made by - or where 

What it actually says is:

"Our modern company specializes in the development, design, and manufacture of high-quality model airplanes made predominantly from composite materials featuring fiberglass and carbon fiber cloth."

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Phil.Taylor said:

Doesnt say who they are made by - or where

We’ve both read the same thing and come to different conclusions! 

To me, “development, design, and manufacture” indicates that they are the company doing the manufacture. There’s no reason to doubt that as there is plenty of expertise in Europe for the manufacture of moulded models.  Their email to me indicated that stocks were low as production had been affected by COVID-19 restrictions, probably more likely to be restrictive in Germany than China although obviously that’s not definitive.

Hi Ned

1 hour ago, Ned said:

To me, “development, design, and manufacture” indicates that they are the company doing the manufacture.

People who design, develop and manufacture anything are usually proud of their product, they name the designer and they tell you/us where they build them, openly and readily

Not doing this encourages me to think that there is a good reason why they don't provide this information - I wouldn't go as far as Tom and say they are lying, but makes me wonder if they are, in fact, errors of omission

1 hour ago, Ned said:

Their email to me indicated that stocks were low as production had been affected by COVID-19 restrictions, probably more likely to be restrictive in Germany than China

My first thought was they were probably short of stock, and that usually points towards other financial problems

This is all supposition though, the simplest way to find out is to ask them where you should send your order and how how and when they want payment, that usually provides usable information

Regards

Pete

BARCS1702

1 hour ago, Ned said:

To me, “development, design, and manufacture” indicates that they are the company doing the manufacture. There’s no reason to doubt that as there is plenty of expertise in Europe for the manufacture of moulded models.  Their email to me indicated that stocks were low as production had been affected by COVID-19 restrictions, probably more likely to be restrictive in Germany than China although obviously that’s not definitive.

Theres every reason to doubt that - and their claims about design - the only design bit is they redesigned the Tomcat colour scheme

3 hours ago, Ned said:

To me you are looking for a reason to buy it .you have heard from numerous people on here all of hum i know personally and they have said caveat emptor .....not sure how much more advice can be given 

• Like 3

I have a BNIB Schwing Corsa 2.75m full carbon for £600 if anyone looking at these is interested.

These Composite RC models are just Chinese made models with Ze Germans making a healthy cut on top of the Chinese prices.

Sansibear were doing something similar a while back with a big markup on RCRCM. I spoke to Sansibear at the RC glider show in Germany and they claimed they were better quality. But TBH after I inspected some they were no different, nor stiffer etc.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Ian F3F said:

Although I don't have any interest is his company zhou is making the Schwing 108 I believe

https://www.rgmcn.com/h-pd-36.html  

As I said, I have no financial interest but I've worked with him for the last 10 years and he's making some really nice stuff for me right now.

Yes I love the baudis/freestyler models as well.  

Ian

But Prof. Hammond told me he was a very very bad man... Confusing. 

I have seen a Instellar. 

Quality is slightly better than Aeroic. Not European quality.

Baudis and James do have a relationship. So I cannot be sure they are not making these planes.

Greg

I can see why most people do not bother to post on social forums.

Andy how could you come to that conclusion.

For the record. The first four 2.75m Aresti's were made by Baudis for James. To Baudis quality.

Baudis makes planes for a number of other designers in Europe who sell them under their own label.

The Raptor is a UK designed plane made by Baudis to special order and not shown on their web page.

These new models from Germany designed by James but sold under a different name may well be made by his new manufacturing partner in China. However, unless we are told otherwise they could also be made by an European manufacturer. 

I have only seen one plane from this company. It was good quality but not Baudis levels. It was better than Zhou on par with Valenta. Draw from that what you want on where it may have been made.

If you trying to charge euro1,600 for a plane and it is made in Europe why not say so and be proud of it. If it is Euro1,600 and made in China then the margins will be much larger than on a European produced model. Plus I doubt it will command the price tag being charged.

15 minutes ago, Baldyslapnut said:

Andy how could you come to that conclusion.

Greg you said you had seen an interstellar   and that it wasnt european quality and you could not say that this wasnt made by Baudis ,if its made by Baudis why isnt it upto European quality .

much better to not mention that theres a possibility that its made by Baudis.

Maybe we should just let the newbies who know no better to spend there hard earned on what ever.Its no better than years ago when plane reviewers in magazines wouldnt criticise anything as they wouldnt get a freebie again . 

Like I said just my 2c 

As for social media , you live by the sword you die by the sword 

Andy I have reread my comment. 

It was not completely clear so I am sorry.

When I said I cannot be sure Baudis or another European making where/are making these planes. 

I would say the Interstella was not made by Baudis but could have been made by a European company as it was as good as Valenta model.

On the new plane Corsa look alike it is possible it could be made in Europe as we know Baudis etc etc make planes for a number of people. If it is euro1,600 then if someone buys one I hope it is to European quality regardless where it is made.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Baldyslapnut said:

Andy I have reread my comment. 

It was not completely clear so I am sorry.

When I said I cannot be sure Baudis or another European making where/are making these planes. 

I would say the Interstella was not made by Baudis but could have been made by a European company as it was as good as Valenta model.

On the new plane Corsa look alike it is possible it could be made in Europe as we know Baudis etc etc make planes for a number of people. If it is euro1,600 then if someone buys one I hope it is to European quality regardless where it is made.

I thought it a Radek Munzar that made the large aresti. I remember the Fu Meister telling me that.

I'm not sure why the dig about social media. What do you want us to lie to not upset someone? I'm trying to help not hinder. Good knows I've bought enough models down the years. 

How do we define quality? I've seen rcrcm stuff that was nice and shiny and it was crap that feel apart. I've had my Tragi 704 for 14 years and it is still good. Well other than flying in to a lamppost in F3b. I've flown it in f3f f3b and f3j. Also dsed over 100mph. That is what I consider true quality. 

To build copies of RCRCM planes in Europe - they would need a set of moulds - so did they:

a. Obtain a set of moulds from those nice RCRCM people?

b. Buy the RCRCM planes & "splash" moulds from the actual models?

Phil.

I’ve posted on the firm’s Facebook page, and got a reply from one of the partners. You can see what he said there. I have asked him to clarify the provenance of the models for us, even though he is reluctant to engage in a protracted discussion.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, oipigface said:

I have asked him to clarify the provenance of the models for us,

... and now he says he won’t.

• Confused 1