Opinions on Composite RC models?

Ned

I am always cautious about posting about a supplier or any 3rd party on a forum.  Having been the victim of posts that are very biased through vested interests.  A right of reply is very difficult.

It does seem that openness about the models from a retailer/designer would stop much of the speculation here.

The vast majority of advice and posts are done from a constructive place and trying to help.

Possibly the most honest answer is that very few of us know anything about these models, therefore they come with a big risk, both in terms of build quality but also the value for money that the models offer.  The more information from experience that comes available the better.

Being involved with a model producer I know I have a biased way of looking at the models I fly on the hill.  I’ve found it very informative to just hand a model/wing etc over and let club mates come to their own conclusions.  constructive comments are fed back to the builder to do better next time.  This is hard when models are sold remotely but a consequence of the current market place not including as many re-sellers such as T9 or Soarhigh etc.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, satinet said:

I can't see it on their page.  

18 hours ago, Andy_B said:

starnge that ...neither could I

It looks as if whatever mode of Facebook I posted on it is not public. Sorry guys. You’ll have to take my word for it.

5 minutes ago, oipigface said:

It looks as if whatever mode of Facebook I posted on it is not public. Sorry guys. You’ll have to take my word for it.

I didnt doubt you at all mate .....................just thought it had been deleted 

19 minutes ago, Andy_B said:

I didnt doubt you at all mate .....................just thought it had been deleted 

I can still see it, but my grasp of how Facebook works is very slight.

In the end I explained to the guy how our discussion on the forum was not well informed, and I thought it would be in his interests to try and fill some of the missing gaps. 
He said he wasn’t going to for two reasons: firstly, he claimed it would jeopardise trade secrets; secondly, they have already had a similar experience in Germany, where the puzzlement all went away as soon as a few models found their way out of the factory and on to flying fields.

Anyway, his responses became a good deal less aggressive as the conversation went on, and I think I managed to convince him that the BARCS forum is full of reasonable folks who have for years been spending tons of money on the kind of thing that he is trying to sell, and recognise an RCRCM model when they see it. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

There has never been an issue with the flying qualities of RCRCM models as far as I am aware. The issue has always been poor quality build and, as an indirect consequence, robustness in use. So if our German friends are making RCRCM designs to the quality standards more expected of a European manufacturer that has to be a good thing. The question then becomes do you want to pay the price? Only you can answer that one.

RCM & Es Kevin Crozier is reviewing the "Typhoon" over a couple of months. He seems impressed enough and the pictures look ok.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wookman said:

So if our German friends are making RCRCM designs to the quality standards more expected of a European manufacturer that has to be a good thing. 

I think thats called "wishful thinking"

I haven’t bought a new mouldie for years. You have supplied most of of my more recent ones Phil and there is such a thing as customer loyalty to consider!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

if anyone can be bothered - go to the Aloft forum - there you will find a certain person saying the Erazor from CRCG & New Corsa (same plane) are made in China, not Germany

Phil.

1 hour ago, Phil.Taylor said:

if anyone can be bothered - go to the Aloft forum - there you will find a certain person saying the Erazor from CRCG & New Corsa (same plane) are made in China, not Germany

Phil.

Is this person the greatest RC glider designer in the world by any chance?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 09/11/2020 at 15:35, Phil.Taylor said:

Phil.

Being made in China does not necessarily mean that the model is not of good quality.   I've not seen an RCRCM model for years or a model from this manufacturer.  Perhaps Rich Bago at T9 has seen more of these models, I see the 100" one is available through T9.

I'd like to give the builder the benefit until I have seen one.  The change in quality of the models made by Zhou has and continues to rise out of all site.  Even Baudis models were not great when they started out, the Trinity vs a PB2 would be quite a difference.

Still not sure I'd buy a Corsa/Erasor/Strega  tho

Ian

10 minutes ago, Ian F3F said:

Being made in China does not necessarily mean that the model is not of good quality.   I've not seen an RCRCM model for years or a model from this manufacturer.  Perhaps Rich Bago at T9 has seen more of these models, I see the 100" one is available through T9.

I'd like to give the builder the benefit until I have seen one.  The change in quality of the models made by Zhou has and continues to rise out of all site.  Even Baudis models were not great when they started out, the Trinity vs a PB2 would be quite a difference.

Still not sure I'd buy a Corsa/Erasor/Strega  tho

Ian

No it doesn't but there also needs to be a lengthy period where quality is seen to be good.

He who shall not be named is claiming that his new models are as good or better than European quality on the aloft form. If this reseller is charging baudis/samba/tud money models it's no wonder people are skeptical given what's going before. Especially with all the drama and shenanigans that always seem to surround the world's greatest RC designer. 

On 29/10/2020 at 13:17, Ned said:

Anyone on here flown any Composite RC models? 

No - but today at Whitesheet I saw two Edge 1500Xs flying & talked to their owners

They flew well, the owners were happy. One was happy to have paid £800 for a ready built plane kitted out with KST servos.

We talked openly about Sunbirds - direct from RCRCM - one owner had been hit with £100+ import duty

and - that black swirly colour scheme - its vinyl & you stick it on yourself

Phil.

Edge_1.thumb.jpg.427abfe52fe4d07deaa41bfd80762661.jpgEdge_2.thumb.jpg.449448681076ee1f298d77b2354e46a4.jpg