Harrier seen over whitesheet

tonydoc

Ian Mason at whitesheet Sunday fine tuning his new glider, almost broke my back trying to pick it up. Very successfully flown showed a good turn of speed and definitely strong enough. 

DSC_5298.JPG

Ian F3F

A fun morning thrashing that Harrier, good to see you there Tony.  When I got home I weighed it with the ballast I was using and it came out at £3.8kg, definitely enough to cut through the turbulence!

The Harrier is a project I started in the first lockdown with Zhou, we have been working together for over 10 years.  In that time I think we have developed a good working relationship and the quality of his building has come on beyond all recognition.

The design has come one, with my own learnings as well.  The Harrier’s controls are all enclosed/flush.  The CAD servo tray really helps the build time on the model. 

I’ve been flying the Harrier all summer and I know on those warm sunny days, my club mate who have checked out the wings and moldings seem to have been impressed.  When I’ve had the chance I’ve been pushing the conditions when I’ve been flying it to try to see what damage I could cause and find out for myself- the only damage after a summery is a tail crease from Emma pushing the car seat back and fuse damage from a crap landing.

The wing can certainly carry the ballast, the large controls mean I’ve been able to really throw it round when I’ve fancied a thrash.

I’m really pleased with the model that’s come from the project.  I won’t be getting back into the model selling game, having Zhou sell them direct keeps the price nice and low. 

I’m a happy man with my Harrier

Martin Church

Looks good Ian do you have any specifications for it yet?

Ian F3F

Sorry Martin

should have said, 2.75m span.

Dirk Flug section, what info do you need?

Ian

• Like 1
Martin Church

Hi Ian thanks for the reply.

I wasn’t sure what kind of model the Harrier was Or what audience it was aimed at.

I don’t know this Zhou guy or where or how he trades so any info would be good 😉

Ian F3F

Hi Martin

The Idea behind the Harrier was to produce a high performance model that you can throw around on your local slope but that is also capable of taking to an F3F race.  I believe Zhou is selling them at 550USD plus shipping.

Zhou started off building the Willows for me but has since made models for different people.  As I say, I've known him for 10 years and I've never had a problem.  I can only tell you about my dealings with him, when producing a model you have to be very clear about the details and instructions to the builder, we have been able to work together to find a solution to anything that's cropped up.

Ian

http://willowracing.blogspot.com/p/getting-your-own-willow.html

• 3 weeks later...
Ian F3F

A cold NW yesterday so I took the plunge and told myself I was going to do 'EM up turns' as much as I could.

A model weight of about 3.8kg seems to feel right when the lift is anything like, that's more than I've flown anything but a Merlin before.

The times I got the turns right she went off like a rocket.  I'm enjoying the Harrier so much as a model to scream around and have the confidence to turn it towards me and start rolling out of the turn.  Even if my thumbs are a bit rubbish its a blast, should have been doing these more often!

Ian

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, Ian F3F said:

For more information, e-mail him. He's much more a builder than a website man!

Ian

Ok, I'm not looking to buy this side of Xmas anyway TBH, was just looking for more info on what is available.