Jump to content

F5B at Two Tree Island?


Recommended Posts

While out getting some exercise today, near Hadleigh Castle, South Essex, I heard the unmistakable short bursts of an F5B model. 

Unfortunately I couldn't see the plane but know the very distinctive sound, very well.

Anyone know who might have been flying? I didn't know there was any interest in that part of the sport in this area. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Jef Ott said:

While out getting some exercise today, near Hadleigh Castle, South Essex, I heard the unmistakable short bursts of an F5B model. 

Unfortunately I couldn't see the plane but know the very distinctive sound, very well.

Anyone know who might have been flying? I didn't know there was any interest in that part of the sport in this area. 

Might have been someone flying a F5B/ hotliner for fun who doesn't fly comps? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Feefo said:

Might have been someone flying a F5B/ hotliner for fun who doesn't fly comps? 

Could well have been...  Does anyone make that much commitment for a bit of sport flying? 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Jef Ott said:

Could well have been...  Does anyone make that much commitment for a bit of sport flying? 

 

I think it's a limited market but some do, including myself.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I fly them for fun too- when not flying in comps, They are great fun fly models. I am sure people have similar and these days it is easier and cheaper to get these types of setups. 

In fact modern competitive setups can actually be quieter than older lower powered setups due to prop design. An oversquare prop without a ramp on the controller or of an older design can have a real bark to it, which, sounds powerful and grabs attention, but in fact wastes power.

Shame you didn't get a closer look at the plane Jef, as we might have been able to identify it better.

 

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Jeff, the F5B plane you heard was in fact my Backfire 2 F5F model which is running at 5kW. I fly on Two Tree for fun. I hope you wasn’t offended :)  People seem to get offended at the slightest thing these days.

It is probably the clubs 2nd fastest model after Steve Wilkie’s 8kW machine. But that’s rarely seen these days

512C1295-CEC0-465C-97F9-37206B53F28D.jpeg

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Lloyd_d said:

Hi Jeff, the F5B plane you heard was in fact my Backfire 2 F5F model which is running at 5kW. I fly on Two Tree for fun. I hope you wasn’t offended :)  People seem to get offended at the slightest thing these days.

It is probably the clubs 2nd fastest model after Steve Wilkie’s 8kW machine. But that’s rarely seen these days

 

8kW 😃 that sounds like fun!

Not offended at all. Hoped to catch a glimpse of it climbing, but couldn't see it at all. 

I am impressed with this sort of power delivered so silently, and have a long standing love of electric gliders. 

Would love to meet you down there for a proper look one day. 

Jef

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Jeff,

I can’t comment on Steve’s 8kW 3 blade machine as I have never seen it myself.
 

like your comment about not seeing it climb! I sometimes struggle to see it climb and I’m on the sticks :) 

Mine has a GPS logger on but I can never seem to get a satellite lock on the island. So can’t tell you how fast it goes.

Unfortunately due to the recent colder & denser air on the flight in question I have lost a bit of speed. Which I find highly offensive 😁


 

Lloyd

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

The power of these setups are mind boggling( to me anyway!) I know nothing about the power train, could you tell me what sort of setup delivers this incredible grunt!

Mike. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Mike

For Competitive F5B, typically, power is from up to 10S lipo (up to 1800mah, capacity has been reducing as cells get better) and with a motor of around 2000kv and geared 7:1. Props 18x23 or thereabouts, commonly used controllers are castle HV120 with some extra capacitors added to allow for the part throttle operation during the ramp, or castle HV160. The heatsinks are removed and the install is lighter / neater then. There is not much space left in the fuz. 

Note that it is possible to get lower number of cells to operate at these power levels BUT more current is needed and a higher motor kv.  

For competition the amount of energy is limited so maximum power is not best, and the reason why ramping is used on the controller is to be as efficient as possible with regard to energy use, Also smooth flying is needed to conserve speed. That said, a really noisy setup thrown all over the sky can be a lot of fun. The airframes are up to it, generally.

Motors used are Neu, Leomotion, or Jeti, typically these days. 

Here is a test flight of a setup on a typically used F5B plane. This is using a cheap motor I got from a used EDF which I tried for a bit of fun on 8 cells. Note how easy it is to launch, they really have an extreme speed range which is what I love about them. From DLG to a pylon racer in one plane haha. Hope that helps! K

 

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Lloyd,

If you are planning on going down there again, can you send me a PM the night before? 

Cheers,

Jef

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Kyri said:

Hi Mike

For Competitive F5B, typically, power is from up to 10S lipo (up to 1800mah, capacity has been reducing as cells get better) and with a motor of around 2000kv and geared 7:1. Props 18x23 or thereabouts, commonly used controllers are castle HV120 with some extra capacitors added to allow for the part throttle operation during the ramp, or castle HV160. The heatsinks are removed and the install is lighter / neater then. There is not much space left in the fuz. 

Note that it is possible to get lower number of cells to operate at these power levels BUT more current is needed and a higher motor kv.  

For competition the amount of energy is limited so maximum power is not best, and the reason why ramping is used on the controller is to be as efficient as possible with regard to energy use, Also smooth flying is needed to conserve speed. That said, a really noisy setup thrown all over the sky can be a lot of fun. The airframes are up to it, generally.

Motors used are Neu, Leomotion, or Jeti, typically these days. 

Here is a test flight of a setup on a typically used F5B plane. This is using a cheap motor I got from a used EDF which I tried for a bit of fun on 8 cells. Note how easy it is to launch, they really have an extreme speed range which is what I love about them. From DLG to a pylon racer in one plane haha. Hope that helps! K

 

 

 

 

Hi Kyri,

thanks for your very informative reply. Fascinating stuff. 
Mike. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Jef Ott said:

Lloyd,

If you are planning on going down there again, can you send me a PM the night before? 

Cheers,

Jef

 

I’ll try to remember Jeff

Here’s a video of mine

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Who's Online   16 Members, 0 Anonymous, 45 Guests (See full list)

    • cirrusRC
    • PeteMitchell
    • Nick Jackson
    • DaveH
    • ggos
    • PaulR
    • GeoffN
    • Rob
    • slavoo
    • aduncan
    • Mark P
    • Mikeb52
    • Les
    • mhodgson
    • JFreeman
    • GuyB
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.