I paint in a tent

oipigface

Last time I did a lot of painting, I converted my workshop into a sort of spray booth with plastic sheet hanging around and above the workspace. This arrangement was fine for painting, but since it took up almost all the workshop, I couldn’t get on with anything else. Since taking this down, I’ve been doing what small painting jobs I’ve had to do using a Workmate in the garden. Flies and dust tend to get on the work, so it Is OK for fast drying paints like car spray cans, but isn’t really practical for epoxy paints that take hours to go off.
Then, a couple of weeks ago I saw a tent specially designed for painting in the garden. I ordered one, but Denise offered to pay for it. (About £60.) It had its first trial this afternoon and here’s a picture.

4EEE0105-43B2-4420-9CC9-CA8F41A7AEDC.thumb.jpeg.eeb14c6b92dcb3eb82d4f2e1e220f6d0.jpeg

It’s a bit murky, but you can see the idea. I was a bit surprised to find that it has no floor, but I co-opted an old king-size bedsheet To stop too much paint getting on the grass.  It also gives an idea of the size, which I think is sufficient for most modelling purposes. You could probably get a fully-rigged F3F model in there - just - and I can sort of stand up in it. It went together easily enough. Probably takes under 10 minutes if you know what your doing. 
I sprayed a shelf from the van until I ran out of primer. It is not, of course, heated but I think it is supposed to keep rain off, so when the weather is warmer I’ll probably try leaving epoxy out in it. 

The wind is supposed to strengthen this evening, so I’ll leave it out to see if it stays put in 15mph.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
Kenneth Paine

Brilliant!  Just what I was looking for. 

My wife is tired of her plants and patio being covered in overspray, I am tired of having to wait for extra calm conditions and I don't want to get more overspray on to my neighbour's <700 mile old Audi,

Where did you get yours?  I can only see it on eBay for £125.

Kenneth

Kenneth Paine

Thank you for the link.  It is amazing that there can be such a broad spectrum of prices for the same product on the same platform.

It was fine. The only criticism I have of it (apart from unreasonably complaining about the lack of heating) is that it’s got no groundsheet. I’ve been using one of those big plastic dustsheets from B&Q, which does the job well.

I could take it to the slope I suppose but it’s looking a bit scruffy with paint at the moment.

• 3 weeks later...

I built my own spray booth last year. 2 sheets of 4 x 3 metres plastic from Screwfix and an eyelet kit from EBay for a fiver.

I screwed cup hooks in the garage ceiling in a circle and trimmed the sheet to just touch the ground. When not in use I unclip the hooks and fold the sheet away. You could add another sheet on the floor if required. Easy!

Sounds similar to what I did three/four years ago. I gave up on it because the spray booth took up rather more than half the floor area of the workshop, and it was extremely difficult (i.e. impossible) to do anything other than painting jobs in it.

On 20/01/2021 at 12:53, Mizuno52 said:

Yes, but I can dismantle mine in less than 5 minutes and it’s out in the garage so doesn’t take up any space in the workshop

Ah, yes. That's what I would do if I had a garage as well as a workshop.