What is on your to-buy or dream-to-buy sailplane list?

Marc RC pilot

Marc RC pilot

Curious to hear what some of us are planning thinking hoping and dreaming of buying in the near or distant future.

The Auri 2 piece wing DLG was on my to-buy-dlg-list and after selling one of my kidneys on ebay I managed to get one a few months back. Very excited as this is my first "modern" glider since getting back into the hobby/sport (been flying an Alula then Longshot to re-climatize after many years) . 

I guess in reality for me it would be a fairly modern-ish full-house sailplane, cross tail, with good thermal/sporting capabilities to fly from flat at around the 2.5 to 3.3m wingspan region.  

In dream land I would most prob go for an Explorer (big flap version looks interesting) as top-end thermal only beast along with Pete Mitchell's Prestige pk2 below (what a beautiful thing Pete)😃

image.png.7eb9f4a9da7093de275056530881be76.png

I do like the look of the Aeroic Stormbird 100 S as a fast snappy looking sports model; shame about the clipped wings/tails for me (despite any benefits) as it reminds me of the clipped wing spitfire/cuts off those beautiful lines

image.thumb.png.185f4034ece8ccf7150c788350109759.png

Please post your to-buy or to dream-to-buy list with some pics if possible.

Many thanks

2 hours ago, SilentPilot said:

but I'd settle for a pair of full house Mystique wings to go on my RES fuselage! 

Not a good idea. That particular dream will turn into a nightmare. The wing is nothing like torsionally stiff enough and flutters at any kind of speed over slow. 

• Sad 1

Getting so close to my new 100" being popped out, or at least the molds are getting ready to have carbon and glass put in them!

No cut off tips for me Mark- I'll let the fence posts deal with that in January!

Ian

falcon.thumb.jpg.c675f847668debbff052d1e40540ce00.jpg

• Like 2

If we’re on about scale gliders then can someone make a Carmam 15/36 to go with my full size one!

Shouldn't be hard to convert an H-201 Libelle...

or an L-23, I’ve got a share in one of those too :D 

3D84792E-0E96-4CD9-8B4E-682C3D9CCC51.jpeg

3CD430C6-D7E5-4C72-B136-8E0E91BE5A8C.jpeg

• Like 1

Marc RC pilot
On 16/11/2020 at 14:31, Phil.Taylor said:

Some very impressive models there Phil 👌

On 16/11/2020 at 15:01, pete beadle said:

Hi Phil

Dreams can come true, just trying to turn your dreams into reality - here's David Woods GP15 at Ivinghoe recently with my NAN Shadow F3J to prove it'd actually happened!:)

Regards

Pete

BARCS1702

Ivinghoe 28th Sept 2020 010.JPG

Ivinghoe 28th Sept 2020 006.JPG

Lovely Shadow Pete 👍

On 16/11/2020 at 16:00, Ian F3F said:

Getting so close to my new 100" being popped out, or at least the molds are getting ready to have carbon and glass put in them!

No cut off tips for me Mark- I'll let the fence posts deal with that in January!

Ian

falcon.thumb.jpg.c675f847668debbff052d1e40540ce00.jpg

Ian that is a beautiful design! Well done sir.  Love the wing shape and healthy root cord/wing area. Sounds like a great project! If ok, can you share any more info about? 

Cheers

On 16/11/2020 at 16:10, Andy_B said:

OK I could find room for these   and maybe a 1/3 K13 or K7

srtl.jpg

szd54.jpg

Is that an orange Calypso Andy? What a beauty...

Marc RC pilot
On 16/11/2020 at 21:55, SilentPilot said:

If we’re on about scale gliders then can someone make a Carmam 15/36 to go with my full size one!

Shouldn't be hard to convert an H-201 Libelle...

or an L-23, I’ve got a share in one of those too :D 

3D84792E-0E96-4CD9-8B4E-682C3D9CCC51.jpeg

3CD430C6-D7E5-4C72-B136-8E0E91BE5A8C.jpeg

Great that you are doing the real thing SP! Nice one m8.

Have you tried that Condor glider sim? It's great when one is not able to get flying in the real world. Good fun.

42 minutes ago, Marc RC pilot said:

Some very impressive models there Phil 👌

Lovely Shadow Pete 👍

Ian that is a beautiful design! Well done sir.  Love the wing shape and healthy root cord/wing area. Sounds like a great project! If ok, can you share any more info about? 

Cheers

Is that an orange Calypso Andy? What a beauty...

Its an SRTL Marc   2.4mtr   single piece wing ...tapes on 

Marc RC pilot

Nice on Andy, thx. Off to look that one up. She certainly looks like she can cut through air like a knife through butter (soft butter...) when asked :) 

What type of flying would you be using her for?   

Hi Mark

I’m glad you like the project.  It was started as Zhou and I felt that there just wasn’t anything out there readily available that ticked the boxes that a  2.5m model can.  I always loved the Wiz Compact and you can’t help but admire the Needle 100!  The size of 2.5m I always think is a great one for high performance sports flying but the F3F record has been held a couple of times by models this size.

The name is pencilled in as the Falcon.

The wing root is 231mm (from memory) there should be a broad enough wing to have some big controls but a nice elliptical shape overall.  It has the same joiner as the Harrier- strength will not be an issue!  The servo access holes are wide enough to help you get in servo frames, based on the Kingmax servo frames from flight tech.

A nice sized tail and a fuselage similar to the Harrier, so there will be plenty of room and a ballast tube that will take 1.5kg.

The CAD work is done and the positives cut.  The working molds are being baked as we type (some pics on my willowracing blog).  I’m hoping to have a prototype to play with over Christmas and then it should be available in the new year.

Ian

There are more 100" planes to choose from now    the needle comes in cross tail and V tail now   various hammond designs  the SRTL   and I have one of the below .I prefer the Drops to the N100  and thats a hard act to follow .

drops.jpg

Marc RC pilot
48 minutes ago, Ian F3F said:

Hi Mark

I’m glad you like the project.  It was started as Zhou and I felt that there just wasn’t anything out there readily available that ticked the boxes that a  2.5m model can.  I always loved the Wiz Compact and you can’t help but admire the Needle 100!  The size of 2.5m I always think is a great one for high performance sports flying but the F3F record has been held a couple of times by models this size.

The name is pencilled in as the Falcon.

The wing root is 231mm (from memory) there should be a broad enough wing to have some big controls but a nice elliptical shape overall.  It has the same joiner as the Harrier- strength will not be an issue!  The servo access holes are wide enough to help you get in servo frames, based on the Kingmax servo frames from flight tech.

A nice sized tail and a fuselage similar to the Harrier, so there will be plenty of room and a ballast tube that will take 1.5kg.

The CAD work is done and the positives cut.  The working molds are being baked as we type (some pics on my willowracing blog).  I’m hoping to have a prototype to play with over Christmas and then it should be available in the new year.

Ian

I had no idea (forgive my ignorance) about your (and Zhou's) incredible work and that you are the creator of the Willow Ian! And the Willow II, the Harrier and your latest Falcon (just found your blog/History and design bit for starters :) ).

Incredible work and designs sir! Inspirational.

I'll have pop over the shop get me some real popcorn  to carry on reading your blog now... :) . Thank you for sharing 👍

Marc RC pilot
34 minutes ago, Andy_B said:

There are more 100" planes to choose from now    the needle comes in cross tail and V tail now   various hammond designs  the SRTL   and I have one of the below .I prefer the Drops to the N100  and thats a hard act to follow .

drops.jpg

That's good to know about the choice Andy.

That Drops looks beautiful...even for a v-tail :)

6 hours ago, Andy_B said:

PCM Pino is an interesting 100" - especially the "Lite" version

http://www.pcm.at/english/Pino-light/index.htm

• Like 1