Combined Slope soarer and flat field powered glider set up

barry h

Hi All and thanks for looking.

I have recently aquired a Valenta Volcano ( powered ) and I wonder if anybody has any thoughts on my intended use.

For slope use I use crow braking for landing which I use the throttle stick and for flat field use I use spoilers or flaps for landing and the throttle stick for motor. The radio I use is a Spektrum DX10T with flight modes etc or could use a Spektrum DX18.  Does anybody know how to achieve this. Someone out there must have had this setup.

Thanks 

Barry  

pete beadle

hi barry h

You'll probably find the Volcano works best on the slope, it is pretty heavy for its size

Put the brakes on the throttle stick (mode 2) and the throttle on a slider, usually on the side/end case

Good luck

Pete

BARCS1702

isoaritfirst

Just have a landing mode, where the throttle stick changes to brake. 

John Minchell

Mike, that's not as safe because you have to flick a switch to revert back to throttle control and in an emergency when you need power to abort a landing and go around again it ain't intuitive.  I screwed it up a couple of times and wrecked models.

Best is as Pete says, keep the crow brakes on the throttle stick and motor control on side slider or similar.  I do that for all my electric powered gliders now and it is no problem, my old brain doesn't get confused.  KISS principal.

John M

• Like 1
satinet
1 hour ago, John Minchell said:

Mike, that's not as safe because you have to flick a switch to revert back to throttle control and in an emergency when you need power to abort a landing and go around again it ain't intuitive.  I screwed it up a couple of times and wrecked models.

Best is as Pete says, keep the crow brakes on the throttle stick and motor control on side slider or similar.  I do that for all my electric powered gliders now and it is no problem, my old brain doesn't get confused.  KISS principal.

John M

Best install a motor on all my gliders for emergencies then. 

isoaritfirst

It works fine for me John. But I do switch flight modes all the time. Switch is natural for me. 

Simplest would be simply have a switched throttle with a soft start.  Not really much need for proportional on a glider with a recovery motor.