What F3Res kit

Martin Church

Martin Church

Not sure if this is the right forum for this but as there’s no f3res forum it will have to do. 

So as Hyperflight don’t have a circle Dancer 2000 res artf in stock what other f3res kits are worth considering?

I’ve not built anything for well over 25 years so the simpler the construction of the build the better.

Martin

Martin Church

Hi Pete thanks for the reply.

So would you advise against the res style models due to being to light for our typical conditions & go for a more moulded model approach of similar dimensions? I ask this as I do know of a sprite thermal E that’s also for sale 🤔

Martin

John Minchell

Martin it depends upon whether you just want a 2m lightweight model for evenings and floating about when there is little wind. 

OR, if you want to start competing in the F3 / F5 RES competitions and events during 2021 (covid 19 permitting).  If the latter, then moulded models are not permissable.  There is a couple of threads under the Thermal section on this forum where Martyn Kinder is trying to sort rules out.  Also a couple of come try / fly and comp weekends in the diary for Buckminster in the calendar and I will be doing one or two dates at Sherlowe in Shropshire.  The reason the models are lightly constructed is probably due to mainly being balsa, ply and spruce construction to keep it simple and cheap.  This to encourage flyers new to gliding and thermal competition so that money doesn't ruin it (like having to have a moulded Tracker model for 100S which killed off the class because you can't buy that model any more and nothing else will beat the guys who still have one).

HTH John M

• Like 1

Thanks John, I was just starting to type along similar lines.

To avoid confusion, 'pete beadle's' Circle Dancer 3000 (3m) is too big for F3-RES where the span limit is 2m.

• Like 1

Can't advise on regs or gliders suitable for classes but if you want a super slick lightweight mouldie go for that Sprite, they are excellent. Not flown myself but watched a pals one. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Martin Church said:

Not sure if this is the right forum for this but as there’s no f3res forum it will have to do. 

So as Hyperflight don’t have a circle Dancer 2000 res artf in stock what other f3res kits are worth considering?

I’ve not built anything for well over 25 years so the simpler the construction of the build the better.

Martin

Hi Martin - try this one:

https://www.modelshopleeds.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=37_313&products_id=36890

ARTF - Looks to be pretty much the same plane as the Circle Dancer 2000

Phil.

• Like 1

What about a RES Eagle from the RCM&E plan. They do a wood kit for it and it’s not as lightly built as some. Not built or flown one personally just a suggestion. Enjoy.

• Like 2

I built a Miles 2m for a friend a few years ago. Great model and certainly not too fragile.

It was the electric version and I had to make the front of the fuselage 5mm wider to accommodate the chosen motor. I think I still have the CNC files somewhere.

Martin.

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwjLz_2nvaztAhU-UhUIHTsEDrIQFjAAegQIBRAC&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.netmeister.net%2F~bkennedy%2Finstructions%2Fmiles-rev-B.pdf&usg=AOvVaw2rs9SMYZ-xCqinLTV3KeWl

• Like 1

John Minchell

Martin

Hyperflight are showing 3 x 2m Circle Dancer kits in stock.  They also show 10 F3/F5 RES other types of model or kits in stock, so you should be able to find something which floats your boat.  Andy Sephton, Kev Wallace (ex SAMS models) have good things to say about the Slite.

John M

Martin Church

I’ve bought an over expensive kit from Germany to build over Xmas 👍

4 hours ago, Wayne B said:

I like the Miles Plan heli_bee (Martin),  anything that floats your boat Mr Church.

I don't often pipe-up these days, but I can thoroughly recommend Mark Drela's Allegro Lite (2m RES). All plans are available online and free and it is a joy to build - you can go as technical as you wish with it (my profile photo is of it in build). The spar was designed to take a full pedal winch launch, yet the airframe is still very light indeed and the sections used means that it penetrates in even blowy UK weather. It is one of my favourite models and the least likely I own to land out! It's battle scarred and repaired here and there with bits of odd tissue patch, but it still finds the lift and thermals amazingly. Perhaps you bought something already Martin, but it is still worth putting this on the list - I'm going to build a bubble dancer (a proper one, not the 'circle' thing ;-)) when I finally sort out my shed situation!

dscf0995.jpg

• Like 1