Chuck glider memories

GuyB

Hi

In the late 70s / early 80s my dad used to take me to Teddington model shop, up the hill by the railway line. We used to buy polystyrene Chuck gliders. From what I can remember they had blue fuselage and yellow wings and they came packaged in little clear plastic bags with the brand and instructions printed on the bag. 

I think you could put the tailplane on either way up and it performed differently. 
They flew brilliantly and I am asking if anyone remembers them, what they were called and if they have ever seen any for sale on eBay etc

thanks

Guy 

Hi Pete

Thanks for your reply and for the other options. I am looking for what I specifically used to play with,  to buy for my dad. From reading your post it sounds like you remember them, do you remember the name / make?

If I can get that I can see if I can source them from another member or on a different forum etc

Yes, I am in Cheshire....all updated

Guy

The packaging description sounds like North Pacific. The 'Sleek Streak' rubber model was well known.

I don't remember blue/yellow foam models, only printed balsa sheet but the wings and tails did clip in to plastic fittings.

If you searched in that area you might strike lucky.

Cheers

Gary

2 hours ago, Gary B said:

The packaging description sounds like North Pacific. The 'Sleek Streak' rubber model was well known.

I don't remember blue/yellow foam models, only printed balsa sheet but the wings and tails did clip in to plastic fittings.

If you searched in that area you might strike lucky.

Cheers

Gary

Thanks Gary. I have contacted North Pacific directly

2 hours ago, pete beadle said:

Hi GuyB

Sorry, I don't know the name of the chuckie you are referring to, so I can't help you any further

However, I still recommend making your search in the "Toys" section, whether it be on E-Bay or Amazon rather than in the section specifically referring to model aircraft

God luck

Pete

BARCS1702

Thanks Pete. No joy but it was always a long shot. 

The " Sleek Streak" was the go to model to go for, to encourage youngsters into the hobby, as they assembled easily & flew well, no matter how ham fisted  they were handled. When in the late 60's into the 70's, the Anglia Club I was a member of & part of the committee, used to run a Gala Day, for all the family to attend. They provided free of charge, "Sleek Streak's", for all the kids, then ran a competition for the best flight, with a prize. They were very popular events, which sadly disappeared later. Well remember the old farmer who owned the site driving over and shouting that he did not want all these people playing football on his land. We explained to him as to what was going on, which he was very happy with, just football he was against!!!

Whilst working as a technician, at the local school, in the early 2000, I ran a model group their. But times had changed, youths were, apart from a few unable to use their hands to make anything. I gathered together all the parts to make a simple chuck glider, from a plan, called "Scout" from memory. I ended up cutting all the parts, as they found that difficult. That left them trying to sand the wing to a section. Not good. So I ended up virtually making them all myself. They did fly quite well.one in particular that a lad launched his one that disappeared over the swimming pool roof, with all the kids dropping theirs and running after  it, as it climbed away in a thermal. Well remember the head of the D&T Dept, telling me that they were training the pupils to design items, not to make them, as that is what they thought, was the future.

Love the quote:- “Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return.”

BARCS230

• Like 1

Great picture Phil!! I had a lot of sleek streeks growing up, for reference here is a picture and I still have one. The packaging is a bit faded and the rubber band perished but otherwise it would fly perfectly if assembled! 

sleek streeka.jpg

sleek streek.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, pete beadle said:

Hi GaryB

Only you can say:yes:

But it doesn't look anything like the 'plane I thought you were after!:no:

Still, if it's what you think it was - go for it!

Regards

Pete

BARCS1702

Hi Pete

i think you may be getting your GuyB’s(me) confused with your GaryB’s (not me)

🤪

6 hours ago, Gary B said:

North Pacific/Comet was bought by Guillows in 1998.

Could it be the Guillows Sky Raider?

Hi Gary B

thanks for your response, not the one I am after. I think I am really going to struggle to find anything online even a photo 

Guy 

On 07/12/2020 at 10:15, EssexBOF said:

The " Sleek Streak" was the go to model to go for, to encourage youngsters into the hobby, as they assembled easily & flew well, no matter how ham fisted  they were handled. When in the late 60's into the 70's, the Anglia Club I was a member of & part of the committee, used to run a Gala Day, for all the family to attend. They provided free of charge, "Sleek Streak's", for all the kids, then ran a competition for the best flight, with a prize. They were very popular events, which sadly disappeared later. Well remember the old farmer who owned the site driving over and shouting that he did not want all these people playing football on his land. We explained to him as to what was going on, which he was very happy with, just football he was against!!!

Whilst working as a technician, at the local school, in the early 2000, I ran a model group their. But times had changed, youths were, apart from a few unable to use their hands to make anything. I gathered together all the parts to make a simple chuck glider, from a plan, called "Scout" from memory. I ended up cutting all the parts, as they found that difficult. That left them trying to sand the wing to a section. Not good. So I ended up virtually making them all myself. They did fly quite well.one in particular that a lad launched his one that disappeared over the swimming pool roof, with all the kids dropping theirs and running after  it, as it climbed away in a thermal. Well remember the head of the D&T Dept, telling me that they were training the pupils to design items, not to make them, as that is what they thought, was the future.

Love the quote:- “Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return.”

BARCS230

I looked up the Scout, chuck glider, that I involved the kids at the local school in, some time back now(15+ years now). Turns out it was called the "Thermal Scout" see the link here, for detail and plan.

http://www.f4bscale.co.uk/scouts.htm

Ah yes I remember it well, the Scout by Mike Chapman. I recall building one of these nearly 20 years ago, and lost it in the park soon after, happy days!

• 1 year later...

GuyB, I remember the models you describe, although they were a few years after most of the North Pacific models that I bought.  As I recall they had blue foam wings in a Depron-type foam, and a yellow fuselage in something similar.  They had a spine to take the normal red plastic North Pacific wing mounting/joiner extrusion.  The lower part of the fuselage was closer to circular cross section to give some it some stiffness.  I can't find any pictures of it though.  All I can find are these ones with the blue Depron type wings and balsa fuselages.  

1662060792_NorthPacificFoamwingmodels-SuperJetStratoGliderJetFlyer.jpg.4f572edcd861d044f63197360f49f80b.jpg

North Pacific Strato Glider Assembled.jpg

Yes. Your description matches my memories exactly. As you say the photo you provide are not the gliders we both remember but they are the closest I have seen. It’s funny I can recall the feel of the plastic bag and the excitement of getting the new glider out and sliding the wings through the gap in fuselage, they were a tight fit and it was relatively easy to snap the wing if you weren’t careful.