Best radio for F3K

Tim Donald

Following on from my previous question,  it seems my T10J is not ideal for F3K so I'm looking to get something suitable (for a new Snipe 2).  My options are to either stick with Futaba and get a higher spec one that is compatible with my mountain of T-FHSS receivers or to get something just for F3K.  When I asked about a year ago the FrSky Taranis X9D plus seemed to be the one to get although I was warned that learning the OpenTX programming will take a lot of time and research (which in all honesty put me off a bit).  I would love to hear what people now recommend (all budgets) and what is considered the ultimate Tx for F3K if budget was no consideration.  I need capability for all the standard flight modes / mixing and a momentary switch for launch mode on the left too (or easy fitment of one).

Thanks !

Cost Vs functionality ratio unbeatable on a taranis.   Just stick Jespers F3K program on it and saves all the hard work and gives you all the functionality you need.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?2578134-F3K-programs-for-OpenTX-transmitters

Various different taranis options depending on size/weight requirements.   You also have the new radio master TX as another option.

• Thanks 1

I used an old JR radio for few years but I have to admit it is not designed for f3k. Then the last year before the Covid-19 conditions I had the chance to use a X9d Taranis radio which is good but it wasn't mine radio. Eventually I had to give it back to its owner. I was considering buying the new generation of the Taranis transmitter and receiver but I read a lot of not so good feedback. I also had a crash on one of my models which I didn't find a reason for it - the model just spiralled down. Battery was ok,.. I ended buying a new Jeti ds12 which is not the cheapest radio but I would say it is affordable one. The quality is definitely better. Meanwhile I found a way to modify my old JR radio so it can be still a good radio for f3k although it has no telemetry or other modern features.

• Thanks 1

It's worth considering the Radiomaster TX16S which runs on OpenTX so should be compatible with Jesper's F3K program.
A bonus for you would be it is a multi-module TX and so it will talk to your existing Futaba receivers (one of the main reasons I bought one was for my existing Spektrum receivers and indoor models).
A good straight forward review of the Radiomaster TX16S is available on Youtube from Painless360.
If you type in to a search engine - 'Radiomaster TX16S painless360' - it should take you straight to it.
There is also info about Open TX on painless360.
I came to Open TX straight from a non computer radio and I did find it a steep learning curve. By far the most straight forward explanation I found was on Mike Shellim's website 'Open TX Clinic'  - (rc-soar.com/opentx/intro.htm).
If you decide to go with OpenTX then I personally would follow through Mike Shellim's programing explanation and flying wing sample program before loading Jesper's program which uses the functions a little differently.
Note if you are a right handed launcher the momentary switch on both the Taranis and the Radiomaster is on the right hand side so will need swopping to the left. I have done this on my Taranis and it was straight forward but I have only had the Radiomaster a couple of weeks and haven't got around to it yet.
Finally I know one of the top F3K pilots uses Futaba (MikeDLG- I think) so may be worth contacting.

I hope this helps,

Terry.

• Thanks 1

If I get a Taranis X9D plus,  which receiver should I get for my Snipe 2?  Is the Archer GR6 ACCESS the best one to get (will it work with SoarOTX ?)  I think this receiver has Altitude / vario built in from what I can gather.   

Thanks.

I don’t fly anymore but below is what I was using for a while. Protocol doesn’t effect the OS (opentx)

Get yourself the 2019 X9D+ on ACCESS with the GR6. Make sure both TX and RX have latestest firmwares off the Frsky website. Flash to the latest version of OpenTX. Install Jespers program.

Great radio and brilliant value for money. 

Will be disappearing again now so have a great Christmas everyone and look after yourselves. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Marc RC pilot

Same as what Mark says. I use the Taranis X9D Plus SE 2019 Tx along with Gr6 Rx. If you do buy, make sure it comes with/buy a battery and micro memory card. Great bang for buck. 

image.png.55937b452fbcc17adf07cda23f564440.png

I also treated myself to a FrSky Taranis X-Lite Pro not that long ago specifically for DLG. I haven't used it yet but I do like the feel/size of it.

image.png.0a35b308844ebddc2f0c21785b37fea4.png

Both together to give you an idea:

20200828_154751.thumb.jpg.8f39459c20c53bdedb53966f34e25894.jpg

https://www.open-tx.org/

Good luck Tim :)

20200828_154703.jpg

• Thanks 1

Thanks Marc and Mark !  I have just ordered a X9D plus SE and GR6 receiver 🙂   (with battery for Tx).  I will order a micro SD if I can't find a spare one lying around.   Does seem a bit weird ordering a transmitter with 2019 in name when it's just on 2021 but hopefully it won't be replaced too soon.

Thanks everyone for your help.  

• Like 1

Cheers Marc.  I've found a spare 16Gb one so think I'm ok.  That does look a good deal although I read that 32Gb was the biggest that the Taranis can work with.  I think it's ok with SD and SDHC but not SDXC (which is anything over 32Gb).

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
glidemetothemoon

i believe a radio is just a tool, a great pilot can win and compete with even the oldest of radio, 4 channels is all it takes really :) just my opinion

• Like 2