1st 2021 2m F3-RES, F5-RES 14 day Duration Challenge

martynk

A placeholder for the 1st combined 2M F3-RES, F5-RES  14 day duration Challenge for 2021.

This is an experimental event and the rules may be altered for subsequent challenges.

Please submit your score below. The clock will start when the first score is submitted.

This is a for fun challenge, anyone may enter with EITHER 

1. a bungee-launched glider up to 2 metres wingspan and the standard Hi-Start can post a time. The standard Hi-Start bungee is a maximum of 10m of 6/4mm surgical tubing and 50m of static line (minimum 30lb breaking strain). Lighter/smaller bungee rubber may be used.

OR

2. an Electric motor launched glider up to 2 metre wingspan fitted with an Altitude Limiter set to 60m and a maximum motor run time of 20 seconds.

Object: Fly your 2 metre glider for as long as possible from a flat field, the person who's time is unbeaten for 14 days 'wins' and a new challenge starts.

Rules:

Flight times begin when line releases from the towhook or in the case of an electric motor powered glider, 20 seconds after the hand launch. The model must land in the launch field for times to count. While the object is to encourage F3/F5-RES types, any model up to 2 metre span may be flown (F3/F5-RES, foam, R/E mouldie) but please state the type of model with your time. Note that ailerons or other camber changing devices are no longer permitted. 

No Flight information telemetry permitted except for Received signal strength and Receiver battery status.

Fly safely! No slope soaring

Graham Lorimer

Am I correct that an electric 2 meter glider can not have a plastic fuselage but with built up wing and tailplane?

Thanks

Graham

Hi Graham

For the postal and to encourage participation there are no structural limitations, but you must have an altitude limiter and no ailerons or flaps. 

Is that OK? 

Graham Lorimer
1 hour ago, martynk said:

Hi Graham

For the postal and to encourage participation there are no structural limitations, but you must have an altitude limiter and no ailerons or flaps. 

Is that OK? 

Perfect........  I have an old Ripmax Nebulus 2 Meter with just Elevator and Rudder, I will get to setting it up now.

Thanks

Graham

cirrusRC

Couple of flights last few days.  Had the field to myself as usual.   Wednesday arrived to find red kites circling low over the field.  Just above freezing and a little bit of sun.  Bit breezy but lift better than expected.   Got away with 3 kites and climbed nicely but was disappearing down wind too quickly.  I bottled it and lost most height speeding back up wind.  Landed in under 5 mins.  The kites were out of sight but another 5 mins later they too came speeding back up wind over the field.

Yesterday was no sun and freezing.  Pretty brutal on the hands.  Lift was surprisingly good and lighter wind,  only had one decent flight.

7.52 | X-RES | High Start | David | 31st Dec

cirrusRC

Cracking day today.  Forecast was breezy and grey.    Instead got blue sky and calm.     Got to the field earlier for 11am.   3 degrees but felt much warmer in the sun and very light wind.    First launch of the day was a good one @ over 70 meters.     Hung onto something light for a few minutes before losing it and came down to 20 meters.    Hooked up a bubble over the field (gutted I didn't have my camera on).    Worked really hard to stay in it, getting ever closer to the trees.    Finally it developed and I started to climb out.     The lift was incredibly narrow and it was like trying to balance the model on a pin head.   Unless centered perfectly the model would stall or drop a wing.       Not easy when the RES sometimes feels like an oil tanker compared to a DLG.   

Put a smile on my face to climb out over 120 meters in January.    Steadily came down until hooked up some more lift indicated by a red kite further upwind.   Again super narrow and very hard work to stay in it.    Came down again and hung onto a small bubble for a few minutes more.

Came down for 23 minutes.    The next 4 flights were only several minutes so I switched to the DLG which was much easier to core the narrow lift.    Was still finding lift until 2:30 pm!!    Best lift between 11am and 12:30pm

23mins 10 seconds | X-RES | Hi Start | David | 2nd Jan 2021

res-glider-2ndJan.thumb.JPG.d66dfb955e3b33a38525fbc18d9d991e.JPG

• Like 1
Graham Lorimer

Hi David

I have an Altis Nano in my F5 RES model, and I am really struggling to get it set up to give a graph like the one you have reproduced here.

Any guidance on Altis set up or how to produce this graph once I have downloaded the flight data would be much appreciated.

Graham

cirrusRC

Graham - my graphing comes from my Taranis telemetry and the OpenTx companion app.    I've no experience with the Altis.    Suggest you ask for help on the main forum.

Graham Lorimer

OK Thanks

I am still working on it, I fly with Taranis on Open TX but need to use Altis to show engine cut time / altitude.

GL

martynk
4 hours ago, cirrusRC said:

23mins 10 seconds | X-RES | Hi Start | David | 2nd Jan 2021

David, That's an incredible flight for early January. Are you in the Bahamas? This morning I had freezing fog, snow then lots of snow then it went dark.

Graham has submitted a score for me to validate from his flight log which I thought was also very good, This is in the table the first electric flight logged in the Challenge. Graham, can you let me know what model you are using please?

image.thumb.png.5ab0dd0a1a5fd2ba4b565adcaea4f8e5.png

• Haha 1
cirrusRC

Thanks Martyn, it was an incredible day for January - I'm still buzzing.  Can't remember a day like it in January. The previous 3 days whilst flyable were pretty brutal, today was a real gem.  

The cold isn't doing the bungee any good. Had to make a few repairs after the tubing split.  Worth it though as a RES in lift is a beautiful thing.

• Like 1
Graham Lorimer
13 hours ago, martynk said:

David, That's an incredible flight for early January. Are you in the Bahamas? This morning I had freezing fog, snow then lots of snow then it went dark.

Graham has submitted a score for me to validate from his flight log which I thought was also very good, This is in the table the first electric flight logged in the Challenge. Graham, can you let me know what model you are using please?

image.thumb.png.5ab0dd0a1a5fd2ba4b565adcaea4f8e5.png

Martyn, the model is a Nebulus 2000 with a Hacker A10 motor.

Total weight is slightly over 800 grams, so that may always be a handicap.

martynk

Well I managed to get out today. 4C air temp and a steady NNW breeze swinging more Northerly then Easterly. Probably the worst direction for our field as its only about 80m wide. I did get a few flights in but only one in definite lift which disappeared downwind at an alarming rate, about 600 yards in just over a minute and not much higher than launch. So had to bring it back slowly and scraped under the boundary telephone wires and hung around looking for something else.. Which failed, so settled for a best of 2:35.. Very tricky conditions and poor launches as the bungee ran out of steam in the cold weather. I could see the sink on the line and the rare patches of lift which were very narrow and I invariably missed.

Still,  thoroughly enjoyable and nice to get out..

image.thumb.png.7914c77aedfd34788ec863d77d0acae3.png

• Like 1
Graham Lorimer

As you say, nice to get out again yesterday but very cold and in 12 flights only one sign of lift, which resulted in a flight of 3 minutes 17 seconds.

I have now configured my transmitter so that one switch can reset both Telemetry and Motor timer instantly, which should make the turn around between flights much quicker, and less time to get cold. I guess that is the upside on F5RES.

I would like to get my transmitter flight timer to start automatically when the Altis cuts power to the motor either at altitude or at the 20 seconds, but I can't figure out how to do that in Open TX.

Graham

martynk

I managed to get out today. Very cold - in fact 0C when i left.

Air much more buoyant with several flights over 3 minutes with a best of 3:55. Doesn't impact the table or positions but does let people know we are out enjoying ourselves.

image.thumb.png.75221579cd225a6fdaece20a833ed734.png

martynk

Hi all

Latest guidance from the BMFA states that flying fields should be closed. 

For that reason, I will close this challenge and will open the 2021 no.2  challenge when the restrictions are lifted.  

Really sorry about that but I don't want to be seen encouraging irresponsible activity in these difficult times. 

I'll post a league table later when my pc gets turned on

Best wishes

• Like 1
cirrusRC

A shame but understandable.  Fingers crossed things improve sooner rather than later.  Back to picaSim.