Alternative to sellotape diamond.

satinet

As many will know the best tape for holding wings on and other general duties was the brilliant sellotape diamond. However this stopped being made quite a while ago. It was a bit over spec for wrapping presents.

I've found this tape, which others might know already, called crystal clear from Tesa tape. It seems very similar to diamond tape (very clear, doesn't seem to leave residue, strong, uv resistant etc). I've not tested how will it holds up to water ingress.

It's Tesa with code 57928.

IMG_20210109_111917.jpg

Edited by satinet
  • Like 2
satinet

I've been told scotch crystal tape is good also .

71Xe1Up+PfL._AC_SX355_.jpg

Phil.Taylor

The Tesa film crystal is good stuff - its what I now use for taping wings on (after a tip-off from JP)

The Scotch Crystal is a poor alternative

Yes, the Diamond tape was brilliant - still got some that occasionally gets used for servo covers etc.

Phil.

• Like 1
satinet

Kapton tape is not bad. Also electrically insulating.

Autistic Pilot

'DingTape' as used for emergency surfboard repair. Like thin helicopter tape. 

Hi. 

I use electrical insulating tape and always have. Am I missing something, do other members not recommend it

My Dad used it on his full size Duo Discuss although this was more about sealing the gap between wing root and fuselage rather than holding the wings on🤪

• Like 1
Andy_B
2 hours ago, GuyB said:

Hi. 

I use electrical insulating tape and always have. Am I missing something, do other members not recommend it

My Dad used it on his full size Duo Discuss although this was more about sealing the gap between wing root and fuselage rather than holding the wings on🤪

It's to brittle in the cold and it doesnt stick if theres any bit of moisture about 

Autistic Pilot

Guys - 'Dingtape' can e applied in the wet - even underwater. 

mark_r

Another option for wing securing  - 3m super 33 insulation tape is excellent in cold weather, way better than any standard insulation tape. It can get a bit stretchy if it's hot weather but I've used this tape for years and recommend it.

Screenshot_20210111-123638_eBay.jpg

Stormeflyer

This sticks like the proverbial! Perfect for securing wings etc, full range of colours, doesn’t leave residue and cheap as chips.

3BF14327-9B7B-409B-A5A6-679899AFCEF1.jpeg

barry h

Hi 

You could try Ebay sometimes on the odd occasion you can find some on there.

I bought 3x 19mmx15mtr  rolls new in packets for £9 the other week.

Barry h

IMG_0771.JPG

Paulupton

Thanks for this thread, I've been struggling in cold conditions recently using standard insulation tape.

First outing this morning with some Tesa crystal clear and I'm impressed - glad I bought x10.....

• Like 2
satinet

No worries. Where did you get 10 from Paul? Decent price? 

Paulupton

Online Stationers, got x11 for £18.93, mainly as the postage is quite steep at £4.99. The cost per roll comes down a bit over 10 units. Screenshot_20210116_183704_com.google.android_gm.thumb.jpg.5aff91bb7933a7730cef550d1568760b.jpg