Frsky Taranis Dual Rates

Graham Lorimer

Graham Lorimer

Setting up a new Glider, Frsky X9D Taranis and GX8R receiver, everything working as it should (4 servo wing) but I would like to program in dual rates, with the second set of rates all being with more movement.

Is there a quick and easy way to do this without having to go through all the Faff of resetting all throws, offsets and center points, which until now I have always had to do.

Maybe I am missing something, but it seems it would be great if an additional 20 or 30% could be added to the existing rates, and switched on or off with a switch.

Graham

rc-soar

Just add extra input lines, one for each additional rate.

Example: triple rates for aileron, on SB.

spacer.png

No other changes should be necessary.

Graham Lorimer

Thanks for the reply, it seems one of the difficulties I have with Open TX is knowing which place to input different configurations.

I have yet to see a clear indication as to when one should use INPUTS and when to Use MIXES, and I suspect that has led me to having these problems.

Graham.

rc-soar

Suggest have a look at my Key Concepts page (recently updated), which describes the three levels (inputs, mixers, outputs) along with best practice:

https://rc-soar.com/opentx/basics/index.htm

If you want a one para summery: the basic idea is to use Inputs for controls which use rates and/or expo, and then to use those inputs as sources in your mixes. That way, you can set most of the mixer weights to +/-100% which makes the design cleaner and easier to check out on the sim. 

The outputs menu is where you marry up your ideal mixer design to the real model (with bent linkages and wonky servo arms etc.). You do this by calibrating each channel to your control surface limits and neutrals.

Bear in mind that weights are cumulative (by multiplication) as you go from Input->Mixers->Outputs.

That's the general idea, there will be exceptions to these rules which are described in the text.

Your question about rates reminded me of a very special rates "feature" of my first radio set when coming back into RC.  

For my return to RC after a gap of 18yrs, I bought the very cheap FLYSKY FS-i6 system, just to try RC out.  By modern standards, it is fairly limited in configuration features, but in comparison to my previous Futaba Challenger, is in a different world.  I played with a few foamies whilst also changing from mode 1 to mode 2 (the 18 yr gap did not effect my "muscle" memory at all).       The FLYSKY is a pretty good performer within its limitations, I still use it for my multirotors.       

My FLYSKY system has a novel feature where the rates function operates on any of the four main channels.   It operates on ALL the channel.  Unfortunately this includes the trim, so if flying on full rates and with plenty of trim, when switching to low rate, say 50%, the trim will reduce by 50% also.  In expo the change is even more dramatic.   What fun!     It took a while for me to see what was happening.  

This helped me to the idea that linear rates were not for me... one day when I want lots of elevator/aileron/etc, it might not be there because I didn't flick the switch.  If I need to calm it down a little, I prefer some expo.      

rc-soar
10 minutes ago, DaveH said:

[rates] operates on ALL the channel.  Unfortunately this includes the trim, so if flying on full rates and with plenty of trim, when switching to low rate, say 50%, the trim will reduce by 50% also.

That's another good reason to use 'inputs' as mixers sources in OpenTX - the rates don't affect the trims. 

Graham Lorimer

I guess one of the difficulties for beginners like me on Frsky, there are several ways to accomplish what you want to do, but most variants give you problems further down the line, that's why I would really like to try and get the set ups correct, the correct way.

Graham