Are we ok to fly during this lockdown?

Marc RC pilot

I fancy a flutter today at my local field here in London which is aprox a 15mns walk away from my flat. I just want to make sure I am within the law (with all measures of social distancing respected etc).

Am I good to go for an hour's flight? 

Many thanks 

Marc 

So....... is it essential, and if it’s ok for one then it’s ok for the 30 odd thousand other BMFA flyers. 🤨

Marc RC pilot

Whilst outdoor exercise is still allowed, either alone or with one other person, we are now no longer permitted to leave our homes to visit public outdoor places for the purposes of open air recreation

Thanks for links and info chaps

PS check this out:

Redbird

Pity this can of worms was opened here. 

You can exercise in a public outdoor place, or so it currently says in National guidelines. 

Autistic Pilot

I've been flying a mini popwing in local park and also out on the water in various paddle craft. 

Have been since march - I have a doctors note though which gives me special permission. :)

Martin Church

I’m an angler also & I don’t personally agree with what the angling trust have done here as I see it as an added danger to possibly catching Covid 19

But if the Angling trust have set the precedent here I think the BMFA should also call for us to be allowed certain forms of model flying.

DLG flying is certainly much more exercise than fishing as would be slope soaring on hills such as CrooksPeak on the mendips.

Edited by Martin Church
Spelling
Autistic Pilot

Great point on DLG... You could argue that the main reason of the activity is to loosen up the ol'yak! And the glider is a javelin shaped in a funny way! :D

Whitmore

Plenty of walking involved in Hi-starting an F3-RES 😅

Not to mention free flight...

As always: what is actually safe, what is permitted, and what you will have to explain to the police don't always converge.

I'm currently building planes and training for rock climbing (indoors at home) as well as walking locally. (I would be paddling if my canoe didn't need some paintwork.)

• Like 2
Ian F3F

It would seem, if you have a public access space locally then flying is possible as an exercise. It's not clear if you need a dog. 

If you do not want to fly or cannot do this in a way that you are comfortable with then don't. 

It appears your insurance will be valid. 

Ian

• Like 1
Phil.Taylor
3 hours ago, Marc RC pilot said:

I fancy a flutter today at my local field here in London which is aprox a 15mns walk away from my flat. I just want to make sure I am within the law (with all measures of social distancing respected etc).

Many thanks 

Marc 

Depends if you can DLG launch for an hour? - pretty good exercise?

Phil.

• Like 2
Phil.Taylor
48 minutes ago, Whitmore said:

There is no hour limit or requirement on exercise. 

Marc said:

Marc RC pilot

Good advice and thanks again gentlemen.

Redbird, no worries m8, all very civilised here :)   

I guess I would class dlg flying as a form of exercise (and potential risk of back/knee injury... :D ). On reflection, and what like Ian said, I would not feel comfortable doing so now so will not. 

Cheers 

• Like 1
  • Administrators
Austin

People can only leave their home to exercise, and not for the purpose of recreation or leisure. I think anyone popping out to fly their model would have trouble explaining to a police officer that they are exercising 🤔

• Like 1
Autistic Pilot

There are some exemptions. Autistics are allowed out to engage in their special interests and they also allowed out to exercise as much as they like for as long as they like. As the ruling of last two lockdowns. 

The Gov have not responded to pressure from National Autistics Society as to whether there is an update to the rules with regards to this lockdown. https://www.autism.org.uk/advice-and-guidance/topics/coronavirus/going-out-and-shielding/england-restrictions-on-going-out

Andy_B
2 hours ago, Austin said:

People can only leave their home to exercise, and not for the purpose of recreation or leisure. I think anyone popping out to fly their model would have trouble explaining to a police officer that they are exercising 🤔

but its ok to go fishing ......yet more fuzz around the rules 

• Like 3
  • Austin locked this topic