Impact of Brexit on buying planes from Czech Republic??

groom_k

Hi All

I’ve been hearing and reading all sorts of horror stories about people buying goods from outside of the UK (just as they did before we left the EU) and being charged both 20% UK VAT and Import Duty by the delivery company in the UK, even though the price that they paid for the goods included VAT at the point of purchase.

The reason this has caught my attention is that it potentially means that buying our favourite toys direct from the Czech Republic may have just become 20% more expensive. From what I've read on Gov.uk this applies to any goods that where paid for after 23.00 on 31/12/20.

I was wondering if anyone has already received deliveries from the Czech Republic since the start of the year or already has a cunning plan. Any experience, thoughts or suggestions you can share would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks in advance and my apologies if raising this has taken the shine off your day.

Keith

Phil.Taylor

Maybe ask if the EU seller can sell at a price without VAT - for export outside the EU ?

You will still get hit for import duty though

Phil.

slopelope

I was going to ask the same question.

My last import from Baudis thankfully arrived on 28th Dec... but I have something due in Feb/March from Germany. I may choose to take a road trip! 😁

It is the same going the other way. I have recently sent a yacht stand to Italy and the customer has just received a message from the courier saying he has to pay duty, VAT and handling charge before delivery, if not paid for within 3 days the parcel will be returned to me.

I bought a svolazzo short kit, from a supplier in France, this month. Delivery costs doubled from 16 to 32 euros though. Arrived within 3 days. 

Piece in the paper today, that VAT + import duty, will have to be paid on delivery, bit like anything from USA

Stefan Bertschi

For us (Switzerland - non EU Member) it works like hinted by Phil. The producer invoice is without VAT but the courrier (e.g. DHL) then does the whole import handling which means I get an invoice after delivery from the courrier with costs for VAT and handling (and handling is quite expensive). 

For us that is quite a good thing as our VAT is only 8%. 

I don't know if our terms can be applied to the UK 1:1 as we probably have a slightly different aggreement with EU (and we are EFTA members) whidh wasn't signed in the 11th hour but negotiated and amended for years ;-)

• Like 1

I know of somebody who just received a Freestyler 6 from Germany. Originally he had paid the German VAT, at first but then asked for a refund that was kindly given.

When it the entered the country they were charged 20% VAT and a courier admin charge. So I guess the rule from now on is to ask to pay excluding local VAT and expect to pay 20% extra + a handling charge when it enters the UK. It will also be slightly delayed because of customs clearance.

David.

• Like 2

Hi All

Thanks to all for sharing your views and experiences. 

It sounds like we'll be ok providing our favourite toy makers are willing to sell to the UK at ex local VAT prices.

In the past, I've heard stories of a number of producers who have still charged local VAT when selling and shipping to Switzerland.

I'm not sure if these were just odd cases or something that is more common.

As Stefan said, the UK took a slightly different approach to negotiating the deal which I'm sure has added to the uncertainty ;-)

I'll share my experiences the next time I receive a delivery.

Keith

It's early days. No one even knew what the deal, if any, was going to be until what nearly Christmas.

Things will settle down to an equalibrium over time. 

It may be that there is a return to buying models from dealers rather than direct. But I suspect sellers well work it out eventually and couriers will compete on price. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
groom_k

Hi All

I've been fortunate enough to just receive my shiny new GP15 and in the end it all turned out to be very straightforward.
As always, the team at Baudis have been great.
Going forward prices will not include Czech VAT when models are being shipped to the UK.
Once the model left Baudis, the shipping company (TNT) contacted me requesting payment of the UK VAT and import fee.
In total it added around an extra week to the timescales for delivery (2 weeks v 1 week in the past) and around £36 to the cost of delivery (TNT fee).

K

• Like 4