Explorer Q fit out

Al Morgan

Big thanks to everyone who replied to my message last year, Explorer or Infinity? I have now purchased an Explorer Q, some of that is down to the ease of transport.  Im looking at fitting it out and Im a bit unsure as to what is the best motor/speed controller option. I havent built a glider for a few years and Im a bit on my own here because none of my friends fly F5J, but I have seen 2s lipo motors being used. I presume that is with a besc and no separate receiver battery. Any advice on that and servo ids selection would be much appreciated. Thx   

Hi Al

I have just kitted out an Explorer Q. I would strongly recommend powerful servos for the flaps as they are huge!

I suggest you speak to Neil Jones at Flightech   https://www.flightech.co.uk/   he is extremely knowledgeable and can supply motor / servos / IDS systems etc.

Have a look on youtube for Explorer big flap videos - there are some showing flap and aileron IDS installation.

Graham Lorimer

This is very strange, I took the time to give a lot of  very recent first hand experience regarding my recent Explorer Q4 build, and now the post has gone.

Why?

Graham

I don’t understand why my  mails have been removed. I was giving information which is useful to other flyers. Please explain.

• Administrators

Guys, I am a sponser of this forum and the uk distributer for NAN Models. Thats the reason I don't want links etc from another dealer who shouldn't be selling into the UK. Im sure they would not be happy if I did it to them. Fully understand its a free world and people will go where they like but where a sponsor is present on the forum then its not fair to them. That applies to all our sponsors. 

Carry on as much as you like about a build.

Graham Lorimer

Hi Al,

I recently bought an Explorer Q4 from outside the UK.

I bought most of the parts needed to finish the model from Neil at Flightech, a sponsor of this forum, who was able to advise on IDS and servo requirements. Big flaps need big servos it seems.

I have used a 4S 850 mah battery and a Typhoon 2W18-3650KV motor with a GM 15" x 8" carbon prop. My Watt meter says it is giving 860 Watts and drawing 62 amps through my DVS 70 amp ESC that I set up using the very useful information on this F5J Forum. I added a Dancing Wings BEC in the system.

No flights yet, but as I use Open TX on Frsky I have spent the last 10 days fully understanding Mike Shellums excellent F5J program and have now got that working well, on the kitchen table at least. Mike also received some Newby questions by email which he answered within the hour.

This forum is a wealth of information that really does assist in getting up to speed with these gliders.

Graham

• Like 1

• Administrators
1 minute ago, Eddy Small said:

Hello Austin,

Quite understand.

Eddy.

Thanks Eddy, particularly as you have an order with me, sorry for the delay, it should be here soon.

Incidentally, Austin, I see you have an updated version of a Nan Orion for sale on your website (Orion V2).  Is that made by Nan or by another maker (under license?) 

• Administrators
4 minutes ago, Kikapu said:

Incidentally, Austin, I see you have an updated version of a Nan Orion for sale on your website (Orion V2).  Is that made by Nan or by another maker (under license?) 

It is manufactured by NAN. Should have photos on the website tomorrow sometime.

Not wanting to turn this topic away from the Q build so if anyone looking for more info please ask here 

Blimey this thing is light. Picked it up this morning from Austin.👍

Thanks Graham, ive spoken with Neil and have a parts list sorted. Have the youtube build vids and should start the work in the next few days. Only thing left is to figure out the sockets at the root of the wing and the servo "tray" for the fus servos. The wing root socket is female, not sure quite what type it is to look for the opposite end. Im not using Tyranis but the spektrum 8 trany. Plugged in one of their new 8 channel telem receivers with in built vario to another glider. Makes the right sort of beeping sounds etc. 

Justin Mellor

Hi all - I am also in the process of fitting out my beautiful Explorer Q, 3.8m received from Austin just before Christmas.

X Power F2919/10 direct drive motor with VM 11x7 prop

Also using the DYS-ARIA-70A ESC and a 5.5 8A ESC, with a 1s Lipo as backup

KST-X08H servos for rudder / elevator

KST-X10 mini servos for the flaps and MKS 6100 servos for the ailerons

Also using Mike Shellims E-Soar Plus (very good) and Open Tx on my Frsky QX7s Tx

Can't comment on how good it all is - haven't flown it yet (obviously) and still some work to do.

Also based in Cheltenham Graham! Are you a member of the PPMFC club?

Hopefully... one day... we can fly our Explorers together and compare notes. I don't know any others round here that fly F5J models.

I will post some pictures when the weather is OK (might be a while) and I can set it up outside.

Justin

• Like 1