Pike goes electric

MikeE

17x8. The pack is below. Sort of fits in through the canopy but until I achieve an optimal set up I’ll have to take the nose off to switch on anyway.  No BEC like you and us humble civil servants can’t afford those magnetic switch witchcraft things.

That’s a point, what tape are you going to use to secure the nose!?

K

9778C91A-F142-468F-8A72-AD5B36677A65.jpeg

• Like 1

Where did you manage to get that from. 

I've been looking for weeks. 

Friends  in USA? No doubt. 🙂

Re tape. Mine is now taped on with diamond tape. 

My AlliaJ flies with a single wrap of electrical tape and nose is no where near such a tight fit. I have no fear of flight loads dislodging it. Taping it securely though will make it stronger in any less than ideal landing

Seek and ye shall find :)

Mine’s ready to go now. It nearly ripped my arm off when I spun it up. I’ve set up a range of planes lately and I must admit the King Max servos are impressive, and the lack of buzz is most welcome!

Needed a bit of tail weight as I went for 18650s as I’m better at keeping it up than you 😜

Weekend is looking good. 

Squeaky bum time!

K

D234E31F-BD8E-4314-B3EC-7CB42A6F3DA4.jpeg

751B8CB1-0967-4C72-A752-6EEA432DD510.jpeg

• Like 2

Yep, prop arrived today. Like you I was very impressed by the power. 

I was tempted to head straight over the park. 

But I really need to find somewhere a little quieter. Since lockdown everybody has taken to enjoying the spaces that I always thought were mine and mine alone. 👹

Looks lovely Kev. Hope the maiden goes well. 

Off on the bike tomorrow so maybe Sunday before i will get chance. 

Noticed you have the trim shown on your front screen. That's a good idea will have to look at adding that,

I dislike the way that trim positions are shown only briefly after changing them. 

Also need to look at putting a timer on the throttle. 

What fun 

Vertical climb.

Didn't have low voltage cut off, so kept the motor run to 65 seconds. That was still an 8 minute flight with a lot of silliness. Charging the pack afterward put 756mAh in, so next time I'll have three times the fun!
Tenshock 1530 8T 
Reisenauer 5:1 gearbox
King Max CLS0911W (flaps) 
King Max CLS0612W (ailerons)
MKS HV6100 (V tail)
17 x 8 prop
3s 2200 mAh
Supplied by www.flightech.co.uk

• Like 9

Dick Whitehead
11 hours ago, knewt said:

What fun 

Vertical climb.

Didn't have low voltage cut off, so kept the motor run to 65 seconds. That was still an 8 minute flight with a lot of silliness. Charging the pack afterward put 756mAh in, so next time I'll have three times the fun!
............................................3s 2200 mAh ..................

Congratulations, that really did look a lot of fun.👍

So, 756 mAh in 65 secs suggests an average current of about 43 amps and on 3s that would be just under 500watts. Of course, if you used any part throttle during those 65 secs, that would revise the current and watts upwards.

But that’s of academic interest only as it definitely didn’t seem short of “urge”!

(And your transmitter seemed to enjoy it as well as I think I recognised its voice chuntering away  in the background 🙂).

Dick

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Dick Whitehead said:

Congratulations, that really did look a lot of fun.👍

So, 756 mAh in 65 secs suggests an average current of about 43 amps and on 3s that would be just under 500watts. Of course, if you used any part throttle during those 65 secs, that would revise the current and watts upwards.

But that’s of academic interest only as it definitely didn’t seem short of “urge”!

(And your transmitter seemed to enjoy it as well as I think I recognised its voice chuntering away  in the background 🙂).

Dick

Spot on! I found an old wattmeter thing and you nailed it!

I’m never quite certain that the full throttle setting is full throttle if you know what I mean. The cheap drone esc is good, and the software used the same currency as you can set on the Jeti for max and min, so it should be full, but it’s not like having a mechanical throttle 🤣

As you say though, it is sufficient and gives decent run time.  

I couldn’t be happier!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 28/02/2021 at 13:58, knewt said:

Spot on! I found an old wattmeter thing and you nailed it!

I’m never quite certain that the full throttle setting is full throttle if you know what I mean. The cheap drone esc is good, and the software used the same currency as you can set on the Jeti for max and min, so it should be full, but it’s not like having a mechanical throttle 🤣

As you say though, it is sufficient and gives decent run time.  

I couldn’t be happier!

If you calibrate the speed controller to the Tx, wouldn't that mean you have full throttle?  That should eliminate any question of end point mismatch between the speed controller and Tx.

Looks like it has plenty of performance going up, enabling an enjoyable return to earth, or perhaps some nice thermal soaring...? 😉

• Like 1

4 hours ago, paulj said:

If you calibrate the speed controller to the Tx, wouldn't that mean you have full throttle?  That should eliminate any question of end point mismatch between the speed controller and Tx.

Looks like it has plenty of performance going up, enabling an enjoyable return to earth, or perhaps some nice thermal soaring...? 😉

The best way to set the throttle limits on the drone esc's  is as follows;

1. RX off. TX on at full throttle (removing the prop may eliminate surprises).

2. Switch RX on and wait for the beeps from the esc to finish. The motor should not start.

3. Move throttle on the TX to zero and wait for the beeps to finish.

4. Job done. Refit prop and test.

• Like 1

The "test" should of course very carefully check that loss of TX signal DOES NOT switch the motor on, which in most cases is driven by stick positions when you bound to the rx (I have no experience of Jeti though)   

• Like 1

Dick Whitehead
15 minutes ago, f3fman said:

The "test" should of course very carefully check that loss of TX signal DOES NOT switch the motor on, which in most cases is driven by stick positions when you bound to the rx (I have no experience of Jeti though)   

I agree about testing loss of signal, but I think fail-safe being set at "bind" is a speciality of Spektrum.

The 2.4 systems I have used all have fail-safe set independently of bind as separate operation - including my current Jeti.

Dick

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dick Whitehead said:

I agree about testing loss of signal, but I think fail-safe being set at "bind" is a speciality of Spektrum.

The 2.4 systems I have used all have fail-safe set independently of bind as separate operation - including my current Jeti.

Dick

Ok  🙂         My two systems, Spektrum DX8 and Multiplex MC4000 with Frysky module both are set during bind, which is exactly the time I think of having the sticks in the correct position.  I think many "older" 2.4 systems are the same .

Dick Whitehead
9 hours ago, f3fman said:

Ok  🙂         My two systems, Spektrum DX8 and Multiplex MC4000 with Frysky module both are set during bind, which is exactly the time I think of having the sticks in the correct position.  I think many "older" 2.4 systems are the same .

👍 At least you know how the fail-safe operates on your systems - I am often surprised by the number of people who don't understand it or have not "deliberately" set it up.

As you said, it is particularly important to understand (and check) fail-safe with electric models as you don't want that motor starting at unfortunate times ☠️

Dick

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

PXL_20210826_154106188._exported_432_1630001607721.thumb.jpg.db4ff715bb0d12a0725a5523b722623f.jpg

Well it's been a while, I did test the model off a hill a month or two back, but yesterday was first chance to try on the flat.

5 or 6 climbs to a goodly height each taking around 15 seconds seems like a reasonable solution. Battery charged back at 1100mah into my 2400 pack so there is more available. 

Field suffers a little with local trees and a ridge that wasn't facing the wind  and thermals were weak so no big lifts were found. But model felt nicely set and I'm sure will performer great on a better day/location.

• Like 2

2.09 minutes of 2400 battery today and around hour of flight time. Not bad for this location in this wind direction. Checking battery consumption at moment.

• Like 1