Lockdown planes waiting to be maidened

knewt

1 hour ago, Phil.Taylor said:

Very nice!

Phase 6 pros - very retro - with the original wing section (*) or something more modern?

(*looked like a decambered E374 to me - needed good lift)

Building them kit standard with the symmetrical section. Will have a couple of minor tweaks such as bottom tape hinges and a epoxy/glass finish.

Definitely need a good blow to perform but should be fun on the Bwlch.

54 minutes ago, Marc RC pilot said:

Mark, may I be so impertinent to ask you whom is the Dark Lord? The other half? :)

If you don't know I'm not sure I can tell you. 🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

Clive Jones

Nice, Mark, will look good with a bit of colour on the wings. That reminds me, I need to strip and recover my Phase 6 pro as well.

5 hours ago, Mark P said:

Building them kit standard with the symmetrical section. Will have a couple of minor tweaks such as bottom tape hinges and a epoxy/glass finish.

Definitely need a good blow to perform but should be fun on the Bwlch.

I still have my original Phase 6 Pro, with 2 servos in the centre of the wing, the "aileron" servo has a rocking mechanical mixer on top, operated by the seconf "Flap" servo.  Used this to gain height before aeros.   Obviously became easier when computer radios came along and Phase6/Quasar tried several wing sections including Eppler 374, then Ritz 1/10/30.    At one stage it also had a 2.5m E374 wing for cross country, on the same fuselage  🙂

9 hours ago, Mark P said:

My latest effort.

2.5m of aerobatic model based on a Sonic fuselage from Airtech.

Also building a pair of Phase 6 Pros for me and the Dark Lord.

Mark

Looks ace, what’s the section?

15 hours ago, knewt said:

Looks ace, what’s the section?

It's a Quabeck aerobatic section. 9% thick with 1% camber,

Used it on the 2m version and it works extremely well. This time the plane has full length flaps and ailerons so should have an even wider operating window.

Added bonus of Crow braking.

Mark

• Like 3

Marc RC pilot
On 01/03/2021 at 14:47, Mark P said:

If you don't know I'm not sure I can tell you. 🙂

After a little digging, I think I understand now Mark...Jesus my apologies sir 😃

image.png.4d39836c4d3732b7123939bc10d38902.png

:)

6 hours ago, Mark P said:

It's a Quabeck aerobatic section. 9% thick with 1% camber,

Used it on the 2m version and it works extremely well. This time the plane has full length flaps and ailerons so should have an even wider operating window.

Added bonus of Crow braking.

Mark

Nice to see you getting your Helmut out again. Spring must be here.  👍

I hesitate to ask given events in our past life and a rather bold decision on a pervious Quabeck model... but does it have a name?

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, knewt said:

Nice to see you getting your Helmut out again. Spring must be here.  👍

I hesitate to ask given events in our past life and a rather bold decision on a pervious Quabeck model... but does it have a name?

You may recall that the other members of the Swillers were in charge of naming my models. Karl was particularly talented in this area.

My current 2m aerobatic model is known as the Sonic so in a moment of inspiration this one has been named the Big Sonic.

Must try harder.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, Mark P said:

You may recall that the other members of the Swillers were in charge of naming my models. Karl was particularly talented in this area.

My current 2m aerobatic model is known as the Sonic so in a moment of inspiration this one has been named the Big Sonic.

Must try harder.

Perhaps it will fly real Super  ;-)

• Haha 1

On 03/03/2021 at 19:51, Mark P said:

Must try harder.

I struggle to choose between the Dreamboat Relaxer and the Viceless for my favourite. Although the Masterpiece variant certainly resonated with many. Oh, and who could forget the Big Stiffy. You didn’t make it easy for magazine editors! 

Fun times. Great memories.

• Haha 1

On 03/03/2021 at 19:51, Mark P said:

Must try harder.

I reckon, having been fortunate enough to have a little twiddle with the small one (!) that you should rename it Orgasm.  That way you can name the new bigger one Screaming Orgasm.

Works in my head🤪

• Haha 2

I remember it was Mark's Big Stiffy that got me on the path to Willow and Harriers.

What ever happened to that molded T tail you Raced in 2005?

Ian 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, knewt said:

I struggle to choose between the Dreamboat Relaxer and the Viceless for my favourite. Although the Masterpiece variant certainly resonated with many. Oh, and who could forget the Big Stiffy. You didn’t make it easy for magazine editors! 

Dreamboat Relaxer was my favourite. A brilliant name for a 60" pylon racer which was supplied by the much missed Karl Pashley.

Other planes not mentioned were the Lovebug and the Big Stonker. We also had some pylon racers called the Relegator - because we always won when we raced them.

Viceless was Ken Woodhouse's pylon racer. First trip out at HOH with full ballast on board it tip stalled twice in a row and smashed itself to pieces on impact.

Is it rose coloured specs or did we have a lot more fun back in the day?

Mark

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Ian F3F said:

What ever happened to that molded T tail you Raced in 2005?

Still got that - just needs some replacement wing servos.

Knewt was responsible for naming that one the Baboon. It had a red bottom.

Mark

• Like 3

On 05/03/2021 at 12:18, Mark P said:

Is it rose coloured specs or did we have a lot more fun back in the day?

Mark

Nah, you imagined it 😉

F0B76E92-79DB-42EA-998E-039DDF018A03.jpeg

4672225F-814D-46BB-A475-97429A576157.jpeg

32650119-F404-4D89-BC22-DB0B7FA97BF4.jpeg

5FC8EF95-F605-413F-B0A2-A3F314C1EB38.jpeg

72565E24-DA95-4058-A020-901928856EFD.jpeg

700F3AD3-67E4-4DE7-ACB4-A5635CBB4774.jpeg

983BF126-4C85-459E-871E-AE8524C61236.jpeg

• Like 2