Getting back into DLGs

Thomas

Hi guys,

I'm looking to get a new DLG and would like some advice please :)

I have a number of models (planes, quads), of which a Blaster 2e motorglider which I built a number of years ago and have had a lot of fun with. It's beat up but still flies alright - most happy as a sloper in moderate conditions.

However I'm now looking for a pure glider with a lighter wing loading as there aren't many decent slopes around here. (It's all flat!) I'd like something which is easy to transport, and good for casual flying when out with the kids.

I'm very tempted by the Deviant, and would appreciate your opinion on this and other alternatives.

Also I'd be willing to pass on my Blaster 2e - I think it would make a great trainer. It's crashed a couple times, and I've repaired it (not very well), which has definitely added some permanent ballast - which is why it's best as a sloper. If anyone wants to comment on estimated value that would also be appreciated.

Thanks!

--Thomas

Hi Thomas,

I have been into DLG’s for just over a year now, and still slowly crawling up the learning curve, but I love them!

I started with a DreamFlight Libelle, which proved a great crash test dummy while I was getting my head around launching and all the Tx switchery. Hooked, I then moved onto a Vortex 3, which is absolutely terrific. This I bought secondhand, the seller already having two 1m Toros!

Having had a significant birthday recently, I am lucky enough for my family to have bought me a Deviant, which is being built by Neil at Superfly this very week. Naturally, I am delighted and really looking forward to getting it airborne.

Meanwhile, my son also started last year with an old Longshot 2, and now has a Toro, which he adores. Very easy to launch to a good height and, in dead air, he was getting much longer flight times than I was managing with the Vortex!

Based on my son’s experience, and on reflection, I probably would have been just as happy going for the smaller 1m craft straight after the Libelle. I fear that the Deviant might well now take centre stage, leaving the Vortex possibly surplus to requirements!

Good luck in your search, but beware, it is horribly addictive!

Alan

Marc RC pilot

Hi Thomas

Personally I would find it harder to get much distance/height with anything less than 1.5m span in a flat field/thermal situation but I can see the benefits in the sheer size/transportability etc.

I've been breaking my dlg cherry/OpenTX with an old longshot 1.5m which has been perfect for the job/learning curves etc. A few months back now, and after a fair bite of research and a myriad of question posted here etc, I felt confident enough to sell a kidney and invested in an Auri 1.5m 2-piece wing version for transportability/anywhere anytime/fun factor. Also liked the idea of all 4servos upfront in fuzz/easy uncoupling of wings/ailerons/cleaner wing profile/use of wing servo weight in a more efficient area, also a little more wiggle-room for fitting out etc. These modern mouldees seems abnormally light...Quite remarkable how things have moved up :) .

Just throwing some ideas into the pot Thomas.  

Good luck either way, all very exciting stuff 

PS my beloved Auri is still waiting to come out of her box for her soaring life to begin... Hopefully spring will be good for us all.

Thanks all for the input. To clarify, my Blaster 2e I mentioned above is a 1.5m DLG - just with a motor bolted on the front. I'm able to launch it to 20-30m - not great I guess - some of it is my bad technique, some of it is the fact it's not so pristine anymore :)

I see people are fairly divided on going less than 1.5m. Some folks think these 1m models are "good enough" and do launch high enough to have fun. Others won't touch anything that isn't 1.5m ... Guess I'll have to make my own mind up!

I did also look a the Toro & Strike 3. Strike 3 sounds like it's a bit fragile from what I can read. Toro looks very similar to the Deviant - anyone have experience with both? I can only judge on artwork at this point, and I like the Deviant better :)

I'm quite comfortable with OpenTX, got my X9D+ for years and my Blaster is definitely the most complex model on it. I'm running OpenTX 2.1 with a DLG program from extremewing on RCG. Am definitely looking to get a Xlite for compactness though, and I'll check out Jesper's program, which wasn't available at the time.

Re 2-piece wings - again my B2e does have that, however I find that having to use tape to join them together each time is a bit of a faff. One major appeal of the 1m model is that I can just keep it assembled in bags, and chuck it in the back of the car/trailer for some fun along the way. Less fiddly assembly = more flying!

Where do you buy second-hand models? The classifieds here looks a bit bare. Again I'm considering selling my Blaster 2e (one in one out :)) and would appreciate any comments on value (I'd be happy enough if the buyer covered postage, but anything extra is useful).

• Like 1

I bought both my Libelle and the Vortex 3 through BMFA classifieds. Perhaps a few  'Wanted' ads might get to nudge someone who has parked their DLG. 

Talking compact Tx's, my grandson has a Jumper T12 Pro - much smaller than my TX16s, full OpenTX and a 4in1 multi module. Just a thought!

• 1 month later...
skyhigh

Getting back into DLG’s!

I never actually got into DLG’s despite joining the forum in 2017 but wasn’t able to make a decision as well as not being unable to attend the “Come and try DLG day” which would have been really good. I guess it’s to early for any events such as the “ Come and try DLG day” to be repeated for 2021, so now looking at entry level DLG’s such as the Elf, but maybe it’s worth aiming for something with a higher performance.

Any advice appreciated.

Mark Evans

19-20th June is come and try along with a 2 day comp at the BMFA center again. 

And now suddenly there are 4 good models in the BARCS classifieds!

(full disclosure: 2 of them are mine).

• Haha 1

• 2 months later...
Thomas
On 11/04/2021 at 17:22, PaulR said:

And now suddenly there are 4 good models in the BARCS classifieds!

(full disclosure: 2 of them are mine).

Well, too late, because I'd already ordered and paid 50% towards a Deviant & associated gear @ Superfly.

This was promised to be delivered to me "early April". It's now 3 months later, I'm £350 out of pocket and I'm not getting any replies to my emails. Phoning is equally a waste of time.

If I had known I would have definitely waited for one of these 2nd-hand models to come up - Sod's law says of course it happened days after I ordered :(

Neil Harrison

Thomas

I will reach you tomorrow