How much to pay......? (i shouldnt be asking this.....😄)

Nick Clement

Chaps, like the rest of us i'm sure, I have been endlessly watching videos of F5J / F3J models in happier times on summer evenings etc and now decided that I would love one. More for sport flying if i'm honest. I think it would tick a lot of boxes for me, excellent thermal soarer for both flat and slope soaring. I have a park near me as well that I can fly it at. But I would like it to be "modern" ie - light, strong, decent electric setup and good looking (I know, I know but those fully black carbon finishes are dreamy......) 

So before I place a wanted ad, could you let me know how much a relatively priced modern-ish F5J model goes for? Something like an Xplorer? Appreciate it can vary massively, but just looking for a rough price range...…..

Thanks in advance

Hello Nick,

Model complete with electrics £800-£1200 second hand.

Just the model £400-£800 second hand.

New model considerably more. Hope this helps.

Regards Eddy.

12 minutes ago, Eddy Small said:

Hello Nick,

Model complete with electrics £800-£1200 second hand.

Just the model £400-£800 second hand.

New model considerably more. Hope this helps.

Regards Eddy.

Hi Eddy,

Thanks that's great actually as the new prices are somewhat eye watering...…! In the F5j world, do people tend to upgrade yearly due to newer / better designs being brought out? I know in the F3F world, people tend to sell at the end of the year to upgrade...….

2 hours ago, Nick Clement said:

I know in the F3F world, people tend to sell at the end of the year to upgrade...….

Not so sure about that. Part of the value to a competitive pilot of a plane is not so much embodied in the plane itself as in the programming by which the plane is tailored to that specific pilot’s skills and habits. This customisation can be a considerable investment of time and effort which can take just as long to achieve with a new model, and is lost when a model is sold.

• Like 3

My 2p

For sport flying, floating about above the local park - current F5j planes are total overkill/overexpense - and also too light for slope soaring.

Maybe something like an F5-RES kit?

Phil.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, oipigface said:

Not so sure about that. Part of the value to a competitive pilot of a plane is not so much embodied in the plane itself as in the programming by which the plane is tailored to that specific pilot’s skills and habits. This customisation can be a considerable investment of time and effort which can take just as long to achieve with a new model, and is lost when a model is sold.

That makes a lot of sense actually and the more I have researched the competition and glider side of it, I can see there is a ton of time input to the setup and like you said, it can make a huge difference to the placement in a comp

1 hour ago, Phil.Taylor said:

My 2p

For sport flying, floating about above the local park - current F5j planes are total overkill/overexpense - and also too light for slope soaring.

Maybe something like an F5-RES kit?

Phil.

That's interesting Phil. I know that a few have ballast options and i'm guessing the older ones (which will be more in my price bracket) will be slightly heavier? Would even the older stuff be the same? Are they mega mega light? Totally agree on the new prices, some are eye-watering!!!!

1 minute ago, Jef Ott said:

I have a few models that might interest you in the £400 bracket.

PM me if you want details. 

Fantatstic will do thank you

6 minutes ago, Jef Ott said:

I have a few models that might interest you in the £400 bracket.

PM me if you want details. 

Way to go !

Ballasted modern F5j = still pretty light. Yes, older F3j type planes are heavier - wings built to withstand tow launches - still very capable soaring machines though.

Phil.

John Wighton

As others have pointed out a modern F5J is not the ideal model for general soaring, taking on holidays or just keeping in the car for when you 'just happen' to go past that nice sloping site.  They are light, somewhat fragile but give arguably the ultimate performance.

A better compromise might be an older F5J type (or F3J modified for power) which is way stronger, more robust and really good fun to fly.  If you live where the wind is an issue you could even think of converting an F3F type model to ePower.

The new GPS Racing - Light class is ideal for the older style models, so grab something secondhand before the prices shoot up.

Ellipse, Pike (various), Erasor, Stork, TOBA, etc (other brands are available)

JW

• 1 month later...

Hey Nick

Only just seen this thread, but I bought an ultima 1 last year. 4m auw ~1250g.

Absolutely stunning machine, I intend to attend a few comps but havnt yet. It goes up on a mouse fart and then comes down very slowly.

I'm yet to add a ballast provision, which it could do with, as penetration is there but slow. 

You have to see them for what they are  which I'm sure you would. It's the ultimate floater. I wouldn't like to think what would happen after a steep long dive. Very light construction.

I paid £750 rtf minus rx