2nd 2021 2m F3-RES, F5-RES 14 day Duration Challenge

martynk

A placeholder for the 2nd combined 2M F3-RES, F5-RES  14 day duration Challenge for 2021.

This is an experimental event and the rules may be altered for subsequent challenges.

Please submit your score below. The clock will start when the first score is submitted.

This is a for fun challenge for UK based pilots, anyone may enter with EITHER 

1. a bungee-launched glider up to 2 metres wingspan and the standard Hi-Start can post a time. The standard Hi-Start bungee is a maximum of 10m of 6/4mm surgical tubing and 50m of static line (minimum 30lb breaking strain). Lighter/smaller bungee rubber may be used.

OR

2. an Electric motor launched glider up to 2 metre wingspan fitted with an Altitude Limiter set to 60m and a maximum motor run time of 20 seconds.

Object: Fly your 2 metre glider for as long as possible from a flat field, the person who's time is unbeaten for 14 days 'wins' and a new challenge starts.

Rules:

Flight times begin when line releases from the tow-hook or in the case of an electric motor powered glider, 20 seconds after the hand launch. The model must land in the launch field for times to count. While the object is to encourage F3/F5-RES types, any model up to 2 metre span may be flown (F3/F5-RES, foam, R/E mouldie) but please state the type of model with your time. Note that ailerons or other camber changing devices are no longer permitted. 

No Flight information telemetry permitted except for Received signal strength and Receiver battery status.

Fly safely! No slope soaring

Very much looking forward to starting up again. Great that you have expanded out to include electric. Should mean more contestants. 

Graham Lorimer

I had a reasonable day out at Fish Meadow today,and had a best flight of 13 minutes 42 seconds. Nano log attached.

Model is a Purito Electric.

Graham Lorimer

Today Best.jpg

• Like 3

Graham Lorimer

Time looks wrong Martyn,

I would love a 43 minute flight, but the best I have had ever,  a week ago, was only 25 minutes during a very lucky trimming flight, and today's competition flight was just 13:42

GL

Sorry about that Graham. I was in a bit of a rush and forgot to enter the co9rrect format 00:13:42.   *!"$% Excel.. autocorrected it

Correct table inserted.

Graham Lorimer
16 hours ago, cirrusRC said:

Well done Graham.  Read your excellent Purito review on HF.  Hopefully you will share a picture of it at some point.

Here it is....

Only managed a 6 minute 50 today

Purito_edited.jpg

• Like 3

Despite 3 months preparation time,  I arrived at the field to find I'd forgotten my fuselage hatch!!   Had to improvise with a bit of paper and tape!   Looked pretty bad, especially as the CG was out, resulting in a lump of Blu Tack stuck to the nose.   Aero it was not!   Helped with the breeze though.

During setup I managed to break one of the flaps  - they are a crap install relying on wire linkages which are very unreliable.   A reinstall beckons.

Bungee broke 3 times (it's getting old) but did have one good flight,   launched to 65 meters and got away to 160 meters before hunting for better lift,  couple of minutes later I found an elevator to 320 meters.   Without flaps that was plenty high enough and I spent majority of flight bleeding off height and then zooming back up.    Quite breezy but had a nice spell of calm and abundance of lift,   didn't have to work particularly hard as lift was cycling nicely.    At around 35 mins the lift evaporated and I came down pretty quickly.

A very enjoyable 38:42.

pic.thumb.jpg.c187295c2283cc086e1ac225dca60857.jpgmarchRES.thumb.jpg.021b98b6bba5969539fe7796dc236e16.jpg

• Like 1

That is an excellent flight indeed. Hard to believe that its still March!

I had a hospital appointment today and too exhausted to do anything this afternoon. Looks like I have missed the best weather. :(

image.thumb.png.9592ff9a4624601a8e5985bd3ea3f37d.png

2 hours ago, cirrusRC said:

During setup I managed to break one of the flaps  - they are a crap install relying on wire linkages which are very unreliable.   A reinstall beckons.

@cirrusRC Please illustrate the problem if possible.

354591680_PXL_20210401_1049577052.thumb.jpg.e5d1a05494c13f379ad57fa3a264a6e8.jpg1552464936_PXL_20210401_1048203682.thumb.jpg.58587c2719c7f02088165a9b6b58688e.jpg

I only use spoilers to scrub off speed when very high. Like to stick model in vertical dive with full spoilers.

This model was second hand and spoilers already setup with these wires that easily detach.

My flying skills far exceed my building skills!  But my preferred approach for spoilers is a long servo arm which pushes open spoiler and then rely on wind to close.  That won't work here without some major work.

I'll redo linkages properly over the long weekend.

• Like 2

StraightEdge

Fantastic flight David - just goes to prove that it isn't all about just the gear!

Graham, very respectable too, I'd be completely made up if I'd done that!  On your chart, what does 'Filtered Altitude' mean?

Thankyou Jon. In light winds, with these slow-flying lower performance RES models, aero becomes less important.  Better to concentrate on

Correct CG + lack of warps + AUW and pilot skill.  The X-Res also has the all moving tailplane which I like.