2nd 2021 2m F3-RES, F5-RES 14 day Duration Challenge

martynk

9 hours ago, Whitmore said:

Nice work guys. Certainly been good conditions here since I totalled my Slite!

(I seem to have been credited with a considerably longer time of 33:00 rather than 9:33 on the table.)

Jon, that plot looks like you had a low level/work hard kind of ten minutes! How do you like the Pures? I'm considering my options for getting flying again quickly and it's either buy a kit or build another Skidoo...

Sorry jon

My mistake, I'll fix it tomorrow 

Pete in Northiam

I am confident I will hit minimum order quantity for another batch of bungees compliant with the 2m Challenge rules, so I will be making another batch soon.  If you want one, please email me p.r.newman at lineone dot net.  I want to order the tubing and braided line early next week so please let me know ASAP so I can get the orders right.  Same deal as before (£33 for the bungee incl P&P plus optional £3.50 for 50m braided line.  Details in the F3-RES League Bungees thread.

I find the trick with sink is to run away.  I do find it very easy to be tempted to try to slow down even more to counteract sink but as a general rule, velocity for minimum sinking speed is slower than velocity for minimum glide angle (though at minimum glide angle you're actually sinking faster).  If it's sinking at thermalling speed, I try to remember to counter-intuitively push the nose down a bit more and fly out of it.

Off for some slope practice now, hope the wind will drop for more bungeeing later this afternoon!  

Edited by Pete in Northiam
Forgot the main point!

3 minutes ago, Pete in Northiam said:

I find the trick with sink is to run away.  I do find it very easy to be tempted to try to slow down even more to counteract sink but as a general rule, velocity for minimum sinking speed is slower than velocity for minimum glide angle (though at minimum glide angle you're actually sinking faster).  If it's sinking at thermalling speed, I try to remember to counter-intuitively push the nose down a bit more and fly out of it.  

This is correct. In fact speed for best penetration and escape from sink is even faster than best glide angle speed (L/D)  You really do need to get the nose down.

F3-RES models definitely lack the longer legs of lower cambered models - it can be worth ballasting even in relatively moderate wind if the lift is decent.

Jon

• Like 1

On 14/04/2021 at 22:47, martynk said:

Sorry jon

My mistake, I'll fix it tomorrow 

Fixed.  Must remember the format is hh:mm:ss.. 

image.thumb.png.285fc7bdba01a6ccefddcbdd163faf39.png2

StraightEdge

Out again today with the PuRES, NE 5mph gusting 8-10 or so, blue skies, a few high cirrus, sunny but not particularly warm of course.

Flights went from appx 6-8mins mid-morning, up to 13-14mins after lunch, then my personal best ever of 22:46 mid-afternoon (spent quite a bit of time initially at low-ish levels - around 8mins - until climbing away two or three times, with a final max height of 334m quite a distance downwind before turning for home), later, around teatime, the thermal action slackened off so called it a day.

So (Jon W take note!) there's absolutely nowt wrong with a second-hand older design like the PuRES; in more experienced hands and on a better day it would surely do much better still.  For info, weight is 420g against spec of 435-450g, and CG is at the rearmost end of the 75-78mm spec range.

As I'm getting more used to thermal soaring in general and this model in particular, I'm learning to be gentler with my movements, getting more familiar with 'picturing' what's happening up there and planning my next move in advance etc, and all this then helps me keep a level head when the model has gotten too high or too far downwind!... just bring her back a bit and the chances we'll bump into more thermal action on the way!

I see the forecast for tomorrow Sunday is looking very nice too!

Jon

1465119922_Screenshot2021-04-17at17_44_10.png.a5656c83f5de02edf9115cc328ae3146.png

• Like 2

Nice work Jon!

18 hours ago, StraightEdge said:

I see the forecast for tomorrow Sunday is looking very nice too!

😭😭😭

18 hours ago, StraightEdge said:

So (Jon W take note!) there's absolutely nowt wrong with a second-hand older design like the PuRES; in more experienced hands and on a better day it would surely do much better still. 

Absolutely! The average glider you know really well is better than the latest top notch jobby you can't fly yet 😅

I've decided to build another Skidoo 1.5m - nothing against the Pures though, I just really liked flying the old one and have everything I need here to start cutting wood.

Jon

• Like 1

Expediency. My 2m version is half drawn. Going to 2m means spoilers and wing joiners and a few things I haven't tried with this 'semi-solid' construction, so it'll be quicker to knock out a proven 1.5m design just to get flying.

First time out in what feels like years but actually about nine months. Southerly winds less than 5 miles an hour often completely still. First flight three minutes 30 so there was lift about despite being 4 o’clock in the afternoon.

Second flight straight into strong lift and went up with very flat and wide circles. Due to lack of wind the model drifted very very slowly down wind and I came out of the thermal only when I glanced down at my timer and looked back up and took what seemed like seconds to find the model again. So bottled it. Soon caught another strong bit of lift and again drifted down wind. Did this until hit a lot of sink and landed at 21:47 mins. 

Lovely flight 

Guy B, MadRES, Sunday 18th April, 21:47

• Like 4

Allan Griffiths

Hello.  First day out with my ReSolution. 

I had 2 set up flights early morning in still air. Model seems to  carry a very slight side slip and rudder trim so i need to get the  incidence meter on the wings as i must have a small twist to get out. Noting bad and if it wasnt totally  still i am sure i wouldnt of noticed it. I then had a good few flights once the thermals kicked in. It really is a very good glider, efficient in a thermal!  

Best flight today (18/04)  was 

42 min. 16 sec. 

Launch time was 13.30 

No strong thermals but i seemed to have a reliable trigger which seemed to work for most of the flight. It was tight and was fun  playing with bank angles to see which gave what was seen by the eye the best climb! 

Cheers.

• Like 5

StraightEdge

Here's a general question for flying RES:  do people rudder with the left 'yaw' stick (as one would do if flying an aileron-equipped soarer etc) or simply allocate rudder to the right 'roll' switch for simplicity?  Any reason for preferring to do either with RES?

On a rudder/elevator model, the dihedral converts the yaw to roll so rudder is your primary roll control.  Use the stick that would be your ailerons if you had any.

• Like 1

I mix my rudder and aileron together so both sticks operate the rudder. Can be handy when you are launching although I am quite comfortable flying my right stick with my left hand... if that makes sense..

However, I do use the left slider for Spoiler control so I guess that most of the time I use the the right stick for R/E.

Pete in Northiam
3 hours ago, StraightEdge said:

Here's a general question for flying RES:  do people rudder with the left 'yaw' stick (as one would do if flying an aileron-equipped soarer etc) or simply allocate rudder to the right 'roll' switch for simplicity?  Any reason for preferring to do either with RES?

I imagine there's as many different answers as (pilots x transmitter layouts).  My choice for all my planes (glider and power) with the right stick controlling pitch and "primary turn".  Primary turn means ailerons if fitted and rudder+dihedral otherwise.  

On planes with rudder in addition to aileron, rudder is on the left.  That just leaves flaps, spoilers and throttle to decide!  :)

Oh, and I launch left handed so my right is on the main stick.

• Like 1