Blaster from the past - get into F3K on a budget?

mikef

I spotted this on eBay - Blaster II with 4 SD100s- could be a cheap way into F3K for someone.  Usual disclaimer - I have no interest in the sale.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BNIB-Vladimir-models-Blaster-2-DLG-F3k-Kit/124666045016?hash=item1d06ace258:g:XvMAAOSwPhdgaKuP

The model would be an excellent trainer and a very worthwhile reserve model for contest flying.  If you get serious about F3K, you will  want to get a more modern design as your skills improve.

• Like 1

• mikef changed the title to Blaster from the past - get into F3K on a budget?

I read this - thank you mikef.

To get an idea of what a Blaster is worth I googled it.

It came up with one locally - I went and bought it.

I have now flown it and it is OK - I like it.

BlastFlown.JPG

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, AnthonyB said:

That way you still have your right hand on the sticks.

Perhaps that's where I went wrong, I always used to make sure my fingers were nowhere near the sticks when I launched! LOL

12 hours ago, Jef Ott said:

Perhaps that's where I went wrong, I always used to make sure my fingers were nowhere near the sticks when I launched! LOL

Oh no, you have to be really hands on with these little Blasterds. I just bought the one and overnight it had attracted a mate.

BlastMore.thumb.JPG.244bf32b8685e056e0c23fa6158f9a1e.JPG

Not only that, now they are a couple - the little bits of their DNA are popping up everywhere. Yes - you really have to be very hands on, or they will get everywhere.

• Haha 1

I'm confused now... Left hand drive wing with a right hand drive rudder?

And I used to throw the rudder option away too! I was really against letting my inputs muck up a good flight LOL.

57 minutes ago, Jef Ott said:

I'm confused now... Left hand drive wing with a right hand drive rudder?

And I used to throw the rudder option away too! I was really against letting my inputs muck up a good flight LOL.

Well, it is only on the right if you look at it from behind. Obviously the builder was holding the boom looking backwards and so it is on the left. But a more realistic view is that he built an eBlaster first, and that flew great with the horn where it was. Then building this one, he built it the same (standard). It is not a spring / pull string, but a heavy (for this) pushrod. Then again, with the outer fully glued in place, inside, it was pointless (awkward) to change over. Perhaps that is why he sold it silly cheap to me - he just couldn't bear the shame of having done it wrong.

I did my first running / spinning throw (with feeling) today and it went straight as an arrow, so I am not that bothered.

Seriously though - I had an hour this morning and I am loving it. If it continues to entertain me, I could end up with a real one.

Also, the dihedral looks more than I am using on a F5RES (10° EDA) ..... It looks like 15° and so I flew it rudder only (left hand) and I thought it flew better. That was also because I caught some lift and got it to 50m (or so) and could play about................... Loving it.

• Like 1

All my previous DLG experience consisted of trying to beat 15secs with this lump of junk. I flew it right handed for a while (how it came) but would prefer left. I changed it over on the wing peg and doubled the steel pushrod size.

I cannot believe how much better a Blaster is !!

HKjunk.thumb.JPG.248681a70200aa11955a920aba76d6f9.JPG

• Like 1

All things are relative, but I do owe becoming F3K National Champion to Blasters, flying against Taboos etc. (a long time ago now).