Which receiver channels to use

Hexaflexagon

Just getting down to connecting everything up in an electric foam glider and have a few basic beginners questions.

1. On my 8 channel Radiomaster R168 receiver the sets of three pins for each channel are marked negative positive and S in that order. These are separated by a divider (See picture) from the 8 sets of three pins is a row of 8 pins. Channel 5 is marked Batt which presumably means this is where the LiFePo4 battery lead plugs in. However the lead from the battery has four wires and contacts and clearly won't plug in because of the divider.

Does this mean I need a converter lead to split the four wire plug to a three contact plug and a single contact plug or what am I missing?

2. The leads from the servos are yellow red brown with red being the central pin. I understand it doesn't matter which way round the servo plugs in. Is that correct?

3. Channels 1 & 8 are marked - , channels 2 & 7 marked +, channel 6 is marked S.Bus, channel 4 RSSI, channel 3 S.Port. Is there any significance to these?

4. Is mapping the Transmitter inputs to the appropriate receiver channel one of trial and error and swapping servo leads around, or as I suspect a matter of configuring the Transmitter.

Many thanks.

IMG_3472.jpg

IMG_3474.jpg

rc-soar
1 hour ago, Hexaflexagon said:

Just getting down to connecting everything up in an electric foam glider and have a few basic beginners questions.

1. On my 8 channel Radiomaster R168 receiver the sets of three pins for each channel are marked negative positive and S in that order. These are separated by a divider (See picture) from the 8 sets of three pins is a row of 8 pins. Channel 5 is marked Batt which presumably means this is where the LiFePo4 battery lead plugs in. However the lead from the battery has four wires and contacts and clearly won't plug in because of the divider.

Does this mean I need a converter lead to split the four wire plug to a three contact plug and a single contact plug or what am I missing?

2. The leads from the servos are yellow red brown with red being the central pin. I understand it doesn't matter which way round the servo plugs in. Is that correct?

3. Channels 1 & 8 are marked - , channels 2 & 7 marked +, channel 6 is marked S.Bus, channel 4 RSSI, channel 3 S.Port. Is there any significance to these?

4. Is mapping the Transmitter inputs to the appropriate receiver channel one of trial and error and swapping servo leads around, or as I suspect a matter of configuring the Transmitter.

Many thanks.

The 8 vertical pins are for the servos and your battery/BEC.

The 8 horizontal pins are: 3-pin for SPort, 3-pin for S.Bus - I'm guessing that you're using regular servos, so you can ignore these. That leaves 2 pins in the middle. One is for RSSI out (which you can also ignore), the other is for BATT telemetry in.

The four pin plug in your second photo is a balancing plug for charging, this doesn't connect to the rx. For power, connect the three pin from your battery or BEC to any of the 8 servo sockets, using a standard 3-wire cable and plug.

If you want voltage telemetry, then you'll need to connect a jumper between one of the battery +ve pins and the BATT pin. ISTR that there's a diagram in the instruction leaflet.

Hexaflexagon

Ah, many thanks.
I hadn't spotted the lead from the BEC tucked away. All the servo leads are marked with their relevant control and the one from the BEC I see is marked Throttle so I presume you are saying that is carrying the power to the receiver. Is that correct?

rc-soar
6 hours ago, Hexaflexagon said:

Ah, many thanks.
I hadn't spotted the lead from the BEC tucked away. All the servo leads are marked with their relevant control and the one from the BEC I see is marked Throttle so I presume you are saying that is carrying the power to the receiver. Is that correct?

Yes. Connect the BEC to the output corresponding to your motor channel. The two power wires carry power to the rx and the signal wire brings signal in from the rx.

mikef

Take the propeller off during set-up work, in case the motor bursts into life.  Once you are confident that you are in full control and rotation is in the correct sense, put the prop on.   I'm told it's not a good idea to run at full throttle with no prop.

Develop a set routine for start-up.  Tx on.  Check throttle at zero.  (If fitted, check motor-cut set to off).  Connect battery.  Check flying controls. 

• Like 1