eScoring using f3xvault - f5x too

tonym

I'd forgotten about f3xvault - I used it for the F3K Eurotour events at Little Bentley.

Seems now that scoring can be done similar to how GS does it via eScoring but hopefully with less faff - no QRCodes, no drop outs (hopefully!), no upload/download.

I'd like to try it out before doing a contest for real so I've set up a test comp. at http://www.f3xvault.com/?action=event&function=event_view&event_id=2047 - wrong event! This is the 25th April 'proper' event on the field, this is the test event - http://www.f3xvault.com/?action=event&function=event_view&event_id=2049 or https://bit.ly/f5jtest - please give it try, let's see if it works well enough to use. For the timing system on the field I use F3KScore to produce sound files, I could use an iPod, iPad or whatever to play to the speakers. The Americans have designed a super duper LED board - https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost.php?p=43374019&postcount=113 - that plays the sound files and display without a PC. It's not cheap to make though.

You will need to register on f3xvault (simple enough), edit your Pilot Profile (add aircraft if you like) - make sure you save your changes
201549662_pilotinfo.thumb.png.4ab708d5ad884bdb833f6878f8f3eb93.png

2117869105_Screenshotfrom2021-04-0822-47-24.thumb.png.913ae31ba1b415fb31bf555093cd09cb.png

Then enter the test comp. (I've also added the F5J contest at Little Bentley on 25th April)
events.thumb.png.0990813150559c7cdca8d579f6b85b9d.png

Here's how one of the US contests looks on my mobile (use a browser on your mobile go to f3xvault.com same as if you're on a PC or laptop - Mac, Windows or Linux)

Screenshot_2021-04-08-21-09-12-314_com.vivaldi.browser.thumb.jpg.c7e1dd7a67301f8dbe929fe052c5d12c.jpgScreenshot_2021-04-08-21-09-43-378_com.vivaldi.browser.thumb.jpg.60f357181d2534892a71fc76416a6b00.jpg

Screenshot_2021-04-08-21-14-04-267_com.vivaldi.browser.thumb.jpg.828122ddd916347514b0b24b1896e1aa.jpgScreenshot_2021-04-08-21-11-52-916_com.vivaldi.browser.thumb.jpg.d812c282e44a488924e425b67f7cb620.jpg

F3XVault looks like it’s a very viable option for scoring online.  I’m going to take a closer look at what it can do, but from a programming point of view there are definitely more and easier mechanisms for integrating with this web based approach than with gliderscore. 

I didn't make clear that this 'event' is to do at home - not on the field, sorry if I confused people.

I messed the dates up too, enter up to this evening for 'tomorrow in the cloud'. I'll do the draw this evening, we'll be able to enter data tomorrow after 10am (?)

Hopefully a few more will sign up to just try this system out.

Tony

I thought I might be able to put some screen shots of the score entry as registration had closed - I can't, maybe score entry isn't available until this at home test comp. starts.

I may have screwed up again - lets see what happens tomorrow after 10am.

When you have a play and enter scores is unimportant, enter your own scores, enter other pilots' scores, try to change scores as if a mistake had been made after hitting the Save button. I 'own' the contest, so I expect I or another event manager, if set up, would have to make corrections. Try to break it, it doesn't matter if you do 🙂, this is just a test to see how well or not the f3xvault escoring system works.

I've left registration open until 9am tomorrow, I'll do another draw then if others have registered - a few clicks and it's done.

'See' you tomorrow
Tony

Test event open!

To make life a little easier use this link in your mobile browser - bit.ly/f5jtest - easier to type in than http://www.f3xvault.com/?action=event&function=event_view&event_id=2049 - though you can click this link if viewing this post on your mobile.

It was my error that I couldn't see the entry button, a couple of boxes I didn't tick.

Sign in to f3xvault on your mobile, tap Enter My Scores button, choose who's time to enter and which round, add time, etc. Click Save This Flight.

Go nuts 🙂

1st reported issue.

One pilot using an iPhone (and Safari?) gets logged out of f3xvault between 'rounds'. So far both my Android mobiles seem to not do this (Chrome on Android 6, and Vivaldi on Android 10).

Anyone else using an iPhone (or iPad) that can check this?

Is there an option when you sign in to a website in Safari (or whatever) on an iDevice to save the login details?

Tony

Hi Tony,

I’m on iPhone and didn’t get the logging out problem described. My experiences are:-

1) the input of the flight info was simple and easy.

2) I input two rounds but could not go to any others, not sure if it was only setup for two rounds or if it’s a problem.

3) having input round 2 results I was the able to go back to round 1 and change the results. This was exacerbated by accidentally cancelling the whole input which was only apparent when I viewed the overall positions. This seems like a weakness in the system.

4) I then changed my round 1 results by inputting a time of 11:54 which was accepted without an error message. It looked like this time was used to calculate a score.

It was easy to use but seems to have a couple of security question marks or my understanding of its operations need improving.

hope this helps.

regards

Garry

Thanks Garry

1) it is
2) my fault - I've not looked for a tutorial of how to set up comps. in f3x and only put 2 rounds in! Now fixed, test extended to end on tomorrow but I have a suspicion scores might be able to be added/amended after the end date - also not good as in your 3) & 4) - once scores are entered and saved they need to locked, only the CD or admins should be able to make changes.

It's a great help Garry, thanks for testing so thoroughly.

Tony

There seems to be a "self score locked" checkbox on the Round details page (click on the round heading in the results table). That might help with the points 3 and 4. Not sure if this applies to me alone or all scores in the round.

I seem to have permission to set this (I've checked the box on round 2).

Nice find Paul! That solves issues 3. It's a bit odd that 11:59 is possible but I think there may be US events that have 12 minute flights.

I forgot to let you know that I'd made you an admin for the test so you had the ability to look around the event settings and 'do stuff' 🙂

There is also an app for iPhone/iPad that basically mimics the website but without the scoring interface. It does have an audio player that will run the audio for all the drawn rounds. 

On the website, I’ve noticed that if you’re registered for a competition then there is a shortcut link to it available on the day of the comp from the home page as soon as you log in. No need to distribute links to everyone.

There seems to be a bit of an issue with out of range numbers which I’m going to look into. That’s on the F3K side of things. The F5J pages do seem to have a max flight time option but looks like it is set to 10mins. 

501D046E-3775-4A93-9917-1C68E1EAC8A3.jpeg

For anyone that wants to try the f3xvault scoring system out without registering - send me a PM and I'll give you the password for Joe Test so you can give entering scores a whirl without any commitment (not that there's any anyway 🙂 ).

Tony

Learning, learning!

I don't like the way when you are presented with 'Round 7' when you go to enter scores for the first time. No need to scroll to round 1 - just tap 'Round 7' (or whatever round is showing) you can then tap the round you want to add scores to - simples 🙂

1 hour ago, tonym said:

Learning, learning!

I don't like the way when you are presented with 'Round 7' when you go to enter scores for the first time. No need to scroll to round 1 - just tap 'Round 7' (or whatever round is showing) you can then tap the round you want to add scores to - simples 🙂

I think I read that the round presented in that scenario depends on which ones already have scores entered so in practice it might "just work" on the day.

I've found a few bugs in the recording of times but I think that some of them are possibly due to the abnormal way that I've been using it due to testing rather than using "as normal".

• 1 year later...
1 minute ago, tonym said:

@ThermalBoy Colin - I've added you to the list of pilots and made you an admin to the test event linked to in my first post Have a play :)

To respond to the query about reports - the simple answer is that I'm not sure. Gerry has added a lot of functionality to GliderScore over the years. When we were using it for F3K it was a very small subset of that which was used regularly, so more deep/advanced use of the GS features may not be possible with F3XVault. As Tony suggests  - have a play 🙂

I’ve not used F3XVault for for thermal soaring, but used it in it’s early days for F3F (about 10 years ago) - The designer, Tim Traver, was a member of the US team when we were out in Slovakia, and told us about his plans to create an on line scoring system, and there was some great discussion with the pilots that were there.  Since then it has grown considerably to cover many classes, including the the ones discussed here.  Tim is both a very skilled web designer, but also a very helpful guy.  He has always been open to improvement suggestions and has fixed bugs quickly as it has grown.  For many of us years ago it was a revelation, helping to capture and distribute scores so quickly on slopes where posting paper was not an option in a howling gale and occasional rain!  So if there is some aspect that is not quite right or doesn’t suit us, it would be worth contacting Tim.  However, Tim is currently in Denmark as US team member for the upcoming F3F WCs.

F3XVault is a great resource, allowing pilot’s to build up a log of their achievements, contest results over the years, and models/details of equipment used.  Over time that can be really useful for comparing performances and looking where improvements can be made.

Good luck with considering this, which likely has benefits way beyond the basic needs of capturing scores.

Simon