New F3K setup for OpenTX

rc-soar

Thanks Mike.

I was looking through your pages the other day considering what features I might be able to combine across your various templates to produce a 4 servo wing DLG template.

The calibration features that you have in your templates have seemed less of a requirement to me previously, but the imminent arrival of a new DLG with two extra servos to align makes it seem like it may be time to take a more serious look. Of course that's not supported by this template but I wonder how difficult it would be to combine this and the F3J model to accomplish that? I had already downloaded your F3J template and looked at adding a DLG launch/zoom instead of the tow related modes.

Having had a quick look at the template, a couple of questions:

I typically end up having to trim ELE and RUD for conditions on the day as my pull strings seem to vary enough to make a difference based on temperature. My current template has all ELE trim relative to cruise mode so I can trim there and get all modes trimmed at once. RUD trim is shared across modes.
I can't see any downside to making ELE trim relative to cruise in your template - is there anything I'm missing there?
Is the only way to achieve the same thing for RUD going to be to enter calibration mode? (given that the RUD trim button is re-purposed for DIFF adjustment).

The spreadsheet supplied is really useful to be able to get a little more commentary on the individual mixes, gvars etc and will be very useful in understanding what's going on. I did have more questions above but having read the docs they've been answered.

35 minutes ago, PaulR said:

I wonder how difficult it would be to combine this and the F3J model to accomplish that? I had already downloaded your F3J template and looked at adding a DLG launch/zoom instead of the tow related modes.

Hi Paul

Adding a couple of servos for ailerons should be possible but is not entirely trivial. It will be easier to start with the F3J setup rather than trying to add functionality to the DLG setup. Just with one proviso: consider adding a second momentary switch to replace SE - this would keep your launch momentary separate from the CAL switch, and will minimise the changes required in the logical switches. (The main change would be triggering and exiting Zoom mode, as in the DLG setup).

I typically end up having to trim ELE and RUD for conditions on the day as my pull strings seem to vary enough to make a difference based on temperature. My current template has all ELE trim relative to cruise mode so I can trim there and get all modes trimmed at once. I can't see any downside to making ELE trim relative to cruise in your template - is there anything I'm missing there?

Making ele trims relative to Cruise mode is fine.

Is the only way to achieve the [rudder offset] to be to enter calibration mode? (given that the RUD trim button is re-purposed for DIFF adjustment).

With the DLG template, rudder offset is via a GVAR - easy enough to adjust on the field.

- Mike

• 2 weeks later...

Version 1.1 of the DLG setup is now posted, with launch height announcement.

The launch height is the maximum height reached from launch until 3 seconds after exiting Zoom mode (the delay is to allow the model to reach the top of the throw). The recorded height is reset to zero automatically at launch, to minimise inaccuracies due to drifting ALT data (e.g. on the G-RX6).

https://rc-soar.com/opentx/setups/dlg/

I've also released a simple channel changer script, for re-ordering the low (servo) channels. It runs on any OpenTX transmitter except the X-Lite and Jumper T12.

- Mike

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
Mark Evans

Just put this program on my new Radiomaster TX16s, on the bench it all looks to be running great. 

Amazing how these radio can do things that would otherwise cost you £1500+  the on the fly adjustment on the IX20 for example. 

Good to hear. The latest version (V1.2) has some enhancements related to camber configuration, and improved documentation. 

- Mike

Mark Evans

Thanks Mike, I only downloaded it today so I guess I have the latest version.

Just one thing I’m not sure about, the elevator comp trim in thermal mode using the throttle trim. Is that more for if you use the slider in thermal mode? Only I just use a fixed amount so my speed/cruise/thermal I just trim with regular independent elevator trim and won’t use the throttle trim for thermal mode. 

33 minutes ago, Mark Evans said:

Thanks Mike, I only downloaded it today so I guess I have the latest version.

Just one thing I’m not sure about, the elevator comp trim in thermal mode using the throttle trim. Is that more for if you use the slider in thermal mode? Only I just use a fixed amount so my speed/cruise/thermal I just trim with regular independent elevator trim and won’t use the throttle trim for thermal mode. 

Hi Mark, yes it's exactly as you suggest. 

Just to reiterate, elevator comp is for the 'variable camber' option only. If using the 'preset' option, just use the independent elevator trim as you do in the other flight modes.

• Like 1

I've just posted V1.3 in response to feedback. It adds a 'super diff' option which gradually increases the travel of the upgoing flapperon in response to roll commands, as brakes are deployed. This results in enhanced roll response. (Similar effect to 'reverse diff' on ailerons with full crow setups).

Launch height announcement is also fixed and refined.

https://rc-soar.com/opentx/setups/dlg/

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Mike, I've just come in from some trimming flights with my Yoda - using your F3J setup with some modifications - some taken from this DLG template.

I've got the F3K style launch, zoom and flap disabling on launch all sorted it seems. Added snapflap to some more modes and added a couple of timers.

The main point I wanted to make was that after struggling with another F3K template to do the four surface alignment and trying to resolve differential issues I now have a plane that flys completely differently (in a good way!). I'd been struggling to gel with the model but I think the majority of that seems to have been down to bad setup.

The alignment through curves is clear and logical and although there is a lot understand it is all clearly set out in the accompanying instructions that guide you through the process. For those of us who want to make some changes it is not too difficult to understand the underlying mixers etc too.

So thanks for providing this set of OpenTX templates to the community. Its much appreciated.

• Like 2

Thanks for the feedback Paul - one of the goals of the documentation was to make it possible for pilots to make their own mods so this is nice to hear.

I thought of making a 4-servo wing version of the DLG template but it looks like you beat me to it...  🙂

• 2 weeks later...
On 23/06/2021 at 14:11, PaulR said:

Mike, I've just come in from some trimming flights with my Yoda - using your F3J setup with some modifications - some taken from this DLG template.

I've got the F3K style launch, zoom and flap disabling on launch all sorted it seems. Added snapflap to some more modes and added a couple of timers.

The main point I wanted to make was that after struggling with another F3K template to do the four surface alignment and trying to resolve differential issues I now have a plane that flys completely differently (in a good way!). I'd been struggling to gel with the model but I think the majority of that seems to have been down to bad setup.

The alignment through curves is clear and logical and although there is a lot understand it is all clearly set out in the accompanying instructions that guide you through the process. For those of us who want to make some changes it is not too difficult to understand the underlying mixers etc too.

So thanks for providing this set of OpenTX templates to the community. Its much appreciated.

Hey Paul,

Would you be willing to share this? I've got a Yoda inbound in the next few days.

3 hours ago, MikevE said:

Hey Paul,

Would you be willing to share this? I've got a Yoda inbound in the next few days.

I can. I'm not sure the config I've ended up with is in a state where its ready for public consumption though! I'll see if I can pull something together in the next few days. 

I've been meaning to feedback a few things to Mike that I've discovered along the way so maybe there could be a more "official" release in the future..?

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Hi Mike

I've now been using your F3K programme on my Auri for a couple of weeks or so (including my first comp event last weekend), and have found it simple to set up and very easy to use when flying.

I do have a question though about snap-flap, which seems to only work as camber when applying up-elevator but not reflex with down-elevator.  Is this intentional?  Ideally I'd like to have snap-flap reflex as well, partially for smoother pitching down response in the three main flight modes, but particularly for pitching forward more promptly into the bunt at the top of the zoom phase.  I'm aware that my present skills are not yet exactly expert, but I find the bunt into level flight seems to take longer than I'd expect it to.

Is there a simple tweak I can do myself, or would this require a version re-write by yourself?

Thanks

Jon

Interesting to hear that David - the same with all models?  I'd imagined the bunt would be snappier with it, but perhaps the mushiness is to do with the near vertical attitude and slowing speed just beforehand?

Hi Jon

Personally I’d keep snapflap as positive only, but if you want to experiment with symmetrical behaviour, then

1. Open the mixers menu,
  2. Go to CH12, ‘Ele’ mix 
  3. Long enter to enter the editor
  4. Change the function curve to ‘diff’/zero

IMO a less drastic way to improve zoom recovery would be to make a couple of changes to the zoom mode settings:

(a) Increase the elevator rate in Zoom mode. The setup guide explains how to add flight mode specific rates - it essentially involves adding an extra input line.

(b) Increase the transition point so you need to push further on the stick to exit Zoom mode. This way, you maximise the benefit of the increased rate in (a). The transition point is set in logical switch L13.

• Thanks 1

Thanks Mike, both easy enough for me to do.

I had already been considering increasing the down-elevator throw generally (spec says 10mm all round, max avail travel about 12mm before boom fouls), so will start with your second suggestion for confining this just to Zoom mode.

Cheers

• 2 months later...

I've just posted version 2 of the 4-servo setup. This incorporates some functional changes for easier setup and flying:

• Additional thermal mode.
  • Camber setting in any flight mode is adjustable via throttle trim
  • When brakes are deployed, the elevator trim is repurposed to adjust compensation. This makes trimming out the brakes very easy - enter Cruise mode and trim, apply full brakes and trim... done.

Full list of changes here.

spacer.png

The graphic above shows a left-handed setup (as per default switch layout on the X9D), but all the switches can be reassigned.

More details and download from OpenTX Clinic.

• Like 2