100 inch Falcon

Ian F3F

Ian F3F

I thought it might be a good time to post something about the my new 100 inch model that arrived last week.  Things are a bit stretched at the moment, the keys to the new house came on the same day as the package from Zhou!

A couple of pictures out of the box, the molding feels crisp strong and light- I weighed the wings are 580g, with a root cord of 230mm.  This should help to deliver on the fast, agile and fun aims for the model.

NIB.thumb.jpg.fe3dfd1e6f17fcdf0d45fc10382955cf.jpg

I had the wiring loom and king max servos ready to go in order to save time.  I have been looking at the RDS arms from Flight tech, these are very impressive to fiddle with and when I build my second model I’ll definitely be using these.  This time familiarity and getting on with it took priority.

The tails have come out really nicely, I’ve kept the section depth a little narrower than the Harrier’s chunky version but it’s proportionally larger than the Harrier tail.  I’ll put some pictures of the fixings up soon.  Some changes to the back of the fuselage feel like they have made it very straight forward to fit together.  Zhou has started to include the brass tubes to make the horns, a really nice touch.

The joiner is the same as in the Harrier, it looks more than up for the job with this smaller model. 

joiner.thumb.jpg.89f1a2e57fec10652350e88f2e6bc173.jpg

I’ve kept the same ballast tube in just about every model, carrying over 1.2kg of lead and nearly 1.9kg of Tungsten is more than enough.

The servo tray is nicely molded and follows the same principals as the Harrier.  I like that it’s not fixed when it arrives, so I can cut the servo holes outside of the fuselage- There’s just enough room for 2 Kingmax servos side by side in the fuselage.  I fitted the servos into the tray lined them up and then glued the tray in with 30 min epoxy- I’ve messed this up on one Harrier by not checking the tray’s position with the servos in, they fitted but look a bit wonkey.

fuz.thumb.jpg.96d9a4240b7a4a7d0814a9b8dc5437d7.jpg

Side by side looks to fit and keeps the snakes out of the way of the ballast tube.  It’s a sign than it’s the narrowest fuselage I’ve made that things are getting a little tighter.

• Like 3

Ian F3F

Another evening on the Falcon and it's come out at 2.3kg ready to program.

The CG is always an educated estimate until that first flight but it didn't feel that it took a lot of lead in the nose to ballance it at 97mm.

The tail end was, pretty straight forward.

IMG_20210413_1221256.thumb.jpg.f470266cef1d4ae106c532c50a02907a.jpg 

Now for a night or 2 not decorating to get out and maiden her!

• Like 1

Ian F3F

Maiden flight today (is the first flight of the first prototype a golden maiden?)

Cold, winds probably too light on the whitesheet northerly but I had a pass and I wasn't going to waist it.  The CG needed to be further forward than I was expecting but with a little more lead for the second flight, the nose sat level and she simply cruised about.

With the Falcon feeling light and buoyant she covered the sky nicely and reacted predictably to the lift that was there.  It took a a good while to gain much height but it doesn't taker much for the Falcon to pick up speed.  It was too light to learn much in terms of set up but she didn't bite or flick when you pull too much elevator and it was just fun to fly.

I'm going to measure what the CG ended up and work out how the ballast tube will stay balanced- for those days I'm looking forward to with a belly full of ballast.

Ian

IMG_20210416_1648530.jpg

• Like 3

so bit of a leap of faith by Ian today, first flight of the falcon with ballast and he did take some persuading but fair play to him   17m/s on the Crest isnt ideal but the plane handled it better than its owner ....🤣

• Like 3

Ian F3F

Thanks for the vid Andy, I was so glad I took the plunge and flew the Falcon today, even though I only had her as 3.2kg.  She flew smoother when my fingers stopped shaking so much:-)

An Epic day on the crest today, my first trip to the hill in about 8 years I think.

I think I'll set up the breaks on an easier day to make the landings as easy on the Falcon as the the Harrier but I left with a huge smile on my face.