Malvern, Saturday 15th May

PaulR

BMFA F3K League 15th May 2021 Malvern - at the Malvern Soaring Association field in Upton on Severn.

I'm opening up registration earlier than usual for the first event of the year - lets see how many entries we can get!

I'm going to be attempting a different approach to registration and online scoring this year using F3XVault.com

Please register through F3XVault.

Link to the event: BMFA F3K 2021 Malvern

• BMFA membership is required.
  • There is a field to fill in your "AMA#" - please insert your BMFA number there.
  • £10 entry fee.
  • I've added the option to pay (via Paypal) the event fee at registration time. Cash on the day is fine too.

If registering for the event this way causes anyone a problem then just let me know and I'll sort this out for you.

I also suggest that you save your account username/password on your mobile device so you are able to log in seamlessly when at the field to allow you to use the site for scoring.

As always, check this thread before traveling for final weather decisions.

New pilots are welcome (encouraged even!).

Location of the entrance to the field:

Google Maps

///assure.notebook.classmate

Directions:

Some bonus directions as a few people have found it tricky previously: Google Maps satellite image view shows it very clearly. Exit the A4104 onto E(ast) Waterside. Drive to the end and turn right, heading back under the A4104 into the field. You'll end up driving along the Severn way pretty much. Please stick to driving along the track on the edge of the field. We'll park up about where the tent is on the Google maps image (shown as of 30/5/17). 

[Exact timing of unlocking of the gate TBC, but expect access from 9am for a 10am start.]

The gate will be open at the start of the day for competitors to drive onto the field.  Then it will be locked again.  It can be opened again during the day if competitors need to drive in and out, time permitting. Spectators are welcome, but unless they want to stay all day like competitors, will need to park on the right along the slip road just off the main road.  The parking here is obvious and used by locals who come to walk the footpath around the field. Our club hosts are sensitive about vehicle access to the field, and we will be too busy flying, timing and running a comp (or at least trying to) to be back and forward all day to the gate.

Let me know if you have any questions.

• Like 2

Looks like Mike and me so far!

Any other takers?

I have a favour to ask as well.

Does anyone have a portable 3/4G WiFi device that we could use to tether the scoring laptop to? It would need to be on for most of the day but I don't imagine the data use would be very high. I have the option to use my phone but since I use it on my timing board it gets a bit awkward having to keep reconnecting after every round.

Can use my phone, assuming it can be charged a bit. It may not last all day. I have almost unlimited data.  Although a dedicated mobile router would be better. 

• Like 1

Might get an official answer later but Richard took his motor home onto the field last time I was there.  
Based on pictures I have and some Googling it must be at least 3.2m which is the height of the the Roller team  Zefiro 390

Mark Evans

Last time I flew at Fish, the club members were allowed to use the camping entrance, not sure if this is still allowed but worth a check. 

We would prefer you to use the tunnel entrance. The height is way more than the height of a transit van, so shouldn’t be a problem. I would guess it’s more than 3 m high.

I was at Fish Meadow today so I measured the tunnel as follows:- width over 3.70m and height over 4.00m. I hope this information helps.

John

• Like 1

Maria Freeman

I’ll give it a shot .......if I can sort out the Vault

( Sorted and Paid )

Edited by Maria Freeman
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, JFreeman said:

I was at Fish Meadow today so I measured the tunnel as follows:- width over 3.70m and height over 4.00m. I hope this information helps.

John

That's great info, thanks John. I'll just make it through.

Neil Harrison

So we currently have 8 entries and 2 more to be entered, Paul Carrington and John Somerville, which will make 10 and a viable league competition.

Weather forecast for Saturday is encouraging.

If you've not flown in a competition before please don't be put off, there is no place better to learn all aspects of DLG with lots of help and encouragement.  If you can't access F3X Vault to register then please add your name by replying here.

Final call for go/no go will be at 6.00pm Friday.

Screenshot_20210512-094506_Samsung Internet.jpg

Hopefully we'll have Monz too - and who knows who else is waiting to enter at the last minute.... @lorrygreen @cirrusRC @carlosds @CTR ?

Nick Somerville who I've flown with a couple of times locally is signed up for his first F3K event. He's new to F3K so please make him welcome.

Sorry guys, I’d love to but my elbow trouble is back and haven’t been able to get any air time for over a year 😪

If the arm doesn’t start improving in the next month or two I may have to call it a day for F3K; meaning a couple of Left hand NXTs will be on the market.

Hope the weather holds for you.

Neil P

• Sad 1

Mark Evans

Might pop down to watch if the weather is kind, see if it gives me the urge to get a plane back. 

3 hours ago, CTR said:

Sorry guys, I’d love to but my elbow trouble is back and haven’t been able to get any air time for over a year 😪

Sorry to hear that Neil. 
Hope the elbow’s better soon. 

2 hours ago, Mark Evans said:

Might pop down to watch if the weather is kind, see if it gives me the urge to get a plane back. 

You know it will!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mark Evans said:

I've been waiting for your Yoda flight report Mark!!! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2