Vintage Graupner Foka

Phil.Taylor

Phil.Taylor

Graupner Foka - I've just acquired this vintage item - was looking very sad on ebay from an estate sale
Did anyone on here used to fly one of these? - the kit first appeared in 1966 - this one is film covered about 1970. For a 50+ year old plane its survived quite well - just a couple of tears in the covering - couple of new servos & should be good to go again.
I've always liked the shape of the Foka - smooth fuselage shape & that swept back fin. This one is very much semi-scale - the tailplane is huge - and the wing chord is increased towards the tips. Rudder & elevator control & lots of dihedral - thats the way it was way back when.
I will get it flying & then decide what to do - a smaller tailplane is a must - ailerons & less dihedral would be good but would need some rebuilding & a recover. New scale sized wings maybe - future project.

Phil.

Foka_1.thumb.jpg.a506b11de5e9c55d4c5a47860ad16ea7.jpgFoka_2.thumb.jpg.5c287c2e904e1dd8936ea80ae8e95dff.jpgFoka_3.thumb.jpg.0c9e0cf32cb26929586d75fd190dec7a.jpgFoka_4.thumb.jpg.d480174cbcaa5a803c59439e44efe82f.jpg

wookman

Maybe keep it as it is as an homage to the way it used to be done?

• Like 2

f3fman

Fly it as it is Phil and see what it is capable of.

I learnt rolling circles on a R/E model, ailerons aren't a necessity of flight as well you know   ;-)

• Like 2

EssexBOF

I had one in the early 70's. Flew well, but was not great as a thermal soarer, more for the slope. The Plura fuselage material was nigh impossible to get anything to stick to it. Cyno now might be OK

In the 60's I remember Steve Rose & Basil Murley, aero towing Steves Foka, behind Basils venerable Taurus on Wanstead Flats. Believe they were the first or one of the firs's to do aero towing. Took them some time to get it right, but when they did it proved very reliable set up.

Steve told me he got the Foka out of his shed some time later and when he got it working the old orbit servo's made horrible crunching noises, whicj on stripping them down, traced to all the beetles and deritus that had collected in them.😅

Keep it as it is, ailerons would improve the handling, but a lot of extra work for little gain as on a good day with light winds, the responce would be fine.

Barcs 230

• Like 1

Phil.Taylor

Thanks - great to hear from someone who has flown one

Phil.

Phil.Taylor

Giving it some beans 🙂

New tailplane mount - getting it nice & level

20210509_201548.thumb.jpg.0d47e9f54f69015e4bab4607aed62d1b.jpg

• Like 2

Phil.Taylor

Its alive - couple of HS311 standard servos - Frsky Rx - such an easy setup - centres & throws on 2x channels - no fancy mixing to fiddle with 

weighs 1780g - 38g/dm2 - not exactly lightweight but should be good for slope soaring

Phil

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
Phil.Taylor

It flies ! - back in the air again after languishing in someones workshop for many years

15-20mph wind onto my favourite local Devon slope - perfect for some retro hanging-in-the-breeze slope soaring - very stable - but theres fun to be had putting the nose down (a lot) to get it moving about. Long time since I flew rudder/elevator - the way we were way back when. Music from the era to go wth the video - Booker T & The MGs - Time is Tight.

Phil.

• Like 5

Phil.Taylor

After looking at some photos online and an old 3-view - I realised that the Foka had waaay too much dihedral ! Some heavyweight bending of the wing joiners & its now got about 115mm dihedral under each wing, instead of a crazy 180mm. Looks more like a scale-ish sort of glider now, instead of an old-skool R/E slope trainer. Hopefully it will fly better, without as much wobbling about. Still needs a smaller tail though 🙂

Phil.

Foka_ld_2.thumb.jpg.e049b30a5963389583594e3e60f530f0.jpg

Foka_ld_1.thumb.jpg.0b51b3786b7897a211ff00bdc54dc971.jpg

• Like 1