Wind

tomc

Hi All

I have been messing about with this DLG lark for about a year now, started with a 1m Dart and now a 1.5m Stream NXT.  In flat calm dead air I am always feeling in control, can generally catch the plane 80% of the time, not had any damaging bumps for a while. 

When its at all breezy, even just the smallest gusts, I tend to pack up and go home. It just gets bounced around too much and I don't want to break it.  Plane is 260 grams, I have never tried any ballast.

What kind of wind conditions do people cope with? How much difference does ballast make?

Any tips?

Thanks

Tom

cirrusRC

In windy conditions, ballast helps you get back from downwind, it also helps you cut through the chop and turbulence.  The downside to ballast is it increases your sink rate in poor air.

Your flying location will make a big difference.  If flying in a small area surrounded by trees then the turbulence and rota will be horrible.

What are your goals?  If you aim to compete then you should practice in windy conditions, if only interested in sportflying then leave the model at home when windy (10-17 mph).   The windier it is the more chances you have of damaging your model.

cirrusRC

Don't bother trying to catch when windy, not worth the risk.

Thanks

Not interested in competing, would just like to be confident to fly when it is not only dead calm and am just wondering what others manage with.

thanks

Tom

StraightEdge
15 hours ago, tomc said:

When its at all breezy, even just the smallest gusts, I tend to pack up and go home. It just gets bounced around too much and I don't want to break it.

"Gusts" are usually indicative of thermal activity (*) - which you want - assuming of course you're not flying in half a gale in the first place.

"Bounced around" sounds like you're dealing with turbulence near the ground caused by upwind obstructions from a fairly strong ambient wind.  Do you have other, more open places you can fly?  The more you fly in different conditions and in different places the more confident you'll become.

You don't have to catch the DLG every time, landing on grass is absolutely fine, but do raise the flapperons just before touchdown to avoid damaging them or the servos.

Nobody is doing any sort of model - let alone thermal - flying in the current weather!  Best wait until a calmer pattern re-establishes itself.

Note (*):  see pages 7 to 10 of Joe Wurts Lecture PDF which illustrates that what you experience as 'gusts' are in fact inflows of cold air joining the ambient breeze just as the base of a thermal passes close by.  Understanding this will also help you identify where the thermal is likely to be and improve your flying and enjoyment.

If you've got the model set up with quite a rearward CoG then if could be that you can manage the stability in the calm air with no problem. If you add in turbulence then it might be that this increases the pilot workload significantly making it harder and less enjoyable to fly.

As mentioned above, the location and wind direction can make a big difference to conditions and you'll probably find its turbulence rather than simply increased wind speed that is more of a problem. In the field I usually fly, I give up if the wind is coming from the East. A valley, houses and trees on that side of the field mean that the chance of smooth air is virtually zero.

So I'd say, if the root cause is "bad air" then try flying somewhere else, or only in wind directions that don't exhibit the problem (if there are any). And if you want to gain a little stability in rougher conditions then try shifting the CoG forward a little, re-trim and see if that helps at all.

• Like 1

Thanks

the location is around an 8 football field sized area surrounded by trees, all in a river valley, its the best spot I can find within a 20 min drive.

thechalster
50 minutes ago, tomc said:

Thanks

the location is around an 8 football field sized area surrounded by trees, all in a river valley, its the best spot I can find within a 20 min drive.

Tomc,

This location is not  too far from my place of work in ripley.  If it could be arranged I would be happy to meet up one evening for a fly.

Generally pilots seemed to be put off by adding ballast to there nice light models.  In windy conditions this will help not only pushing into wind but also stabilisation.  

Also you need to fly more aggressively reacting and committing to lift quicker.  

Fly the model a bit faster to increase control authority to counter act being knocked around.