Hello and request for help

MikevE

MikevE

Hi all, I'm a new member and have just ordered my first DLG. I used to fly R/C in Zimbabwe some 25 years ago using 35 and 40 MHz kit so my knowledge is limited. I currently have a Radiomaster TX16S which I'm using to fly FPV drones. I have a feeling I might know @MikeDLG from back then, or perhaps another Mike.

Anyway, I'm looking for a receiver for this glider and have no idea what to order here in the UK? Also a good battery to power the system. My glider comes with KST X06 and X08 servos. Everything has changed so much that I feel quite clueless haha. 

Hi MikevE

a lot of F3K flyers are using FrSKY and you only need 4 channels. I use the X4R (the white one which has 4 normal servo channels, not the black one which is 3 + 1sb). 
Don’t know if it’s compatible with your TX!

I use single cell LiPo which works with this RX and KST x06 (not used 08’s). The round 900mA ones fit well into the nose.
I’m sure you’ll get more answers when the guys get back from the comp’ today. 
Best regards

Neil P

• Like 1

MikeDLG

Hi Mike.  I’m surprised you didn’t speak to me before you bought a dlg. I hope you got a good one 😉

I would recommend the RX6-R.  AFAIK, it needs to be the older ACCST version to work with the tx16s. T9 hobbysport sell flashed to the older version, or you can do it yourself. 
GRX-6 gives you altitude/vario telemetry which is more fun than that practical. 

Most of us use single cell lipos for rx battery. What dlg did you buy? 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

MikevE

I pre-ordered a Yoda. After some reading and some YouTube watching, this looked like a good bet. :)

• Like 1

cirrusRC

GRX-6 out of production.  Only archer version offered.

Like Mike says RX6R is best bet. Tiny and good range.  The old X4R's are poor in comparison.

• Like 1

Thanks for the head’s up on the improvement of the RX6R over the old X4R.

I’ll consider swapping if I can get back into flying my DLGs

MikevE

I've ordered an RX6R with the older firmware as per Mike's advice.

Richard Swindells
On 15/05/2021 at 21:01, MikevE said:

I pre-ordered a Yoda. After some reading and some YouTube watching, this looked like a good bet. :)

Nice start... make us all jealous :)

• Haha 1

MikevE

Let's see if I can even remember how to fly, and after that learn how to launch. LOL! I didn't do too badly a couple years ago when I visited Dave Fox (mutual friend of MikeDLGs and I), and had a couple of flights on his electric sailplane.

terryspence

Hi,

I thought you would be interested to know if you update the Multi module in your Radio master TX16S it now supports version 2 of the ACCST Firmware (ACCST V2). 

See. www.multi-module.org.

I hope this helps.

Terry.

• Thanks 2

MikevE

Looks like stock is going to be a while, Neil has made a special order for me. 2-3 months. Oh well, I can suffer the wait. :)

• 1 month later...
MikevE

It is here!!! I'm delighted, and now also a bit scared of having to build it. I mean I used to be an OK builder of models, but wow how things have gotten tiny and precise compared to the olden days. That reminds me, I need to dig out a photo of @MikeDLGand I and post it in our youth. :)

image.thumb.png.88ffe854b8c445f4c2c9d701014b8459.pngimage.thumb.png.71fb2c7610fc9b8b9e19245dc770d28c.png

• Like 3

Hope the pics via PM are useful. The build manual is quite clear and comprehensive so hopefully smooth sailing...

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 07/07/2021 at 16:32, PaulR said:

Hope the pics via PM are useful. The build manual is quite clear and comprehensive so hopefully smooth sailing...

Pretty awesome thanks! I'm almost done now, and have gotten the radio just about set up. I'm hoping to have a first go tomorrow.

MikeDLG
1 hour ago, MikevE said:

Pretty awesome thanks! I'm almost done now, and have gotten the radio just about set up. I'm hoping to have a first go tomorrow.

Best of luck. My main bit of advice: when you try discus launching, don’t try to launch up. Launch forward and aim for the top of distant trees. If you try to launch up, you risk hitting the outside wingtip on the ground and that can do a lot of damage. Start slow in a nice fluid motion and build up. Keep your launch arm straight. Don’t bend the elbow.  Lead with the shoulder, arm follows through. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MikevE said:

You’re not bringing it to Buckminster then?

32 minutes ago, PaulR said:

You’re not bringing it to Buckminster then?

No, I wanted to come, but have too much on this weekend.

Marc RC pilot

Great stuff MikevE :)

I noticed you are London based,  Wormwood Scrubs has a good flying field if you ever fancy a flight. 

Happy maiden

Cheers

Marc

• Like 1