4th 2021 2m F3-RES, F5-RES 14 day Duration Challenge

martynk

A placeholder for the 4th combined 2M F3-RES, F5-RES  14 day duration Challenge for 2021.

This is an experimental event and the rules may be altered for subsequent challenges.

Please submit your score below. The clock will start when the first score is submitted and will restart if and when the current high score has been beaten.

This is a for fun challenge for UK based pilots, anyone may enter with EITHER 

1. a bungee-launched glider up to 2 metres wingspan and the standard Hi-Start can post a time. The standard Hi-Start bungee is a maximum of 10m of 6/4mm surgical tubing and 50m of static line (minimum 30lb breaking strain). Lighter/smaller bungee rubber may be used.

OR

2. an Electric motor launched glider up to 2 metre wingspan fitted with an Altitude Limiter set to 60m and a maximum motor run time of 20 seconds.

Object: Fly your 2 metre glider for as long as possible from a flat field, the person who's time is unbeaten for 14 days 'wins' and a new challenge starts.

Rules:

Flight times begin when line releases from the tow-hook or in the case of an electric motor powered glider, 20 seconds after the hand launch. The model must land in the launch field for times to count. While the object is to encourage F3/F5-RES types, any model up to 2 metre span may be flown (F3/F5-RES, foam, R/E mouldie) but please state the type of model with your time. Note that ailerons or other camber changing devices fitted are no longer permitted, even if disabled. 

No Flight information telemetry permitted except for Received signal strength and Receiver battery status.

Fly safely! No slope soaring

Graham Lorimer

I nice few hours flying between the rainy storms coming through today at Fish Meadow.

First flight with Purito was straight into lift, climbed quickly over 300 meters and then the Hail started coming down, so not wanting hail stones through the covering came down in just over 9 minutes. The weather cleared as quickly as it came in, the temperature was down and there were numerous flights of about  3 1/2 minutes. Just about to stop for lunch, fresh battery and back into lift, with a flight time of 21 minutes 55 seconds.

Not as good as it might of been, but after lunch the rain was back so we called it a day.

Purito Electric

21 minutes 55 seconds

Fish Meadow

May 19th.png

• Like 2
martynk

That's another superb start Graham and looking at the weather forecast the rest of this week is not looking very promising.  Where is Fish Meadow? It seems to have magical properties.. :)

image.thumb.png.132c6d29053f55954e86229afd65dd63.png

cirrusRC

Nice Graham.   Fish is club in Upton Upon Severn.   The jet stream and fronts are generating some very active conditions at the moment.  Just a shame about the rain + wind, oh and work 😀

Looks more promising for bank holiday weekend (hope I've not jinxed it now)

Graham Lorimer

Thanks for the nice comments,

I guess we may all be trying over the forthcoming long weekend, weather looking good, I will be trying to beat the one hour mark, but these little 2 meter gliders sure do come down fast in bad air.

Graham

StraightEdge

A good start to the new challenge Graham - hoping that after this coming weekend's foul weather, things will quickly settle down... but not before I've finished repairing and converting my X-RES to electric! 😉

Graham Lorimer

Another day in the sun at Fish Meadow, and some quite good flying conditions. About 6 F5J flyers enjoying the conditions, some preparing for Radioglide this weekend and some testing new models.

I started flying my 2 Meter Circle Dancer, a 13 minute flight first off, then a 9 minute followed by a fire in the ESC. Fortunately it happen when I tried to power up with the model still in my hands, so was able to open the hatch, tear out the burning parts  (ESC and Nano) and blow out the two areas of fire. A couple of blisters but the model doesn't need too much repair.

Changed to Purito, and enjoyed a 36 minute 50 second flight, followed by another of 32 minutes. A lucky escape on the longer flight, managed to find more lift after 23 minutes and get away for a second climb up and over 400 meters.

Fish Meadow

Purito Electric

36 minutes 50 seconds

Graham

May 27th.png

• Like 2
cirrusRC

Sorry to hear about the ESC. What type was it?  Any thoughts on cause?   Motor ok?

mikef

Good to hear there wasn't too mush fire damage Graham.

My Purito-e is having its second and subsequent flights today.  15:23 is the best so far...

mikef

Purito-e having  a shady rest in the nettles with the Snipe.

04C23862-4490-4B17-AAC4-25A6F10E7C95.jpeg

Graham Lorimer

Thanks Guys

Have stripped the front of the model, it was powered by a Hacker A10-7L and it appears the wires coming from the front of the motor (behind the gearbox)  have been damaged by the spinning Outrunner motor case, they have shorted together (and left a burn mark on the balsa where they are situated), and the ESC has then taken the damage and started the fire. It is a Hyperflight ESC (20 amp) but without doubt, that was not where the problem started. Photo attached.

The Hacker will be replaced by a Direct drive ADH300L / MM1914-1100, hopefully the model will perform the same, with a lot less expensive power unit.

Graham

IMG_3350.jpg

cirrusRC

That's a shame Graham.  Like you say, could have been worse.

Mike - the field is like a jungle.  Will be closed soon i'd imagine.  Hopefully I will get to fly tomorrow.

StraightEdge

Gosh, sorry to hear that Graham, but glad you weren't injured and that the model is largely intact - and a timely lesson re installation!

Can the Hacker leads not be replaced or repaired forward of the shortening (for use in a future model with more clearance in the nose)?

PS - good flight with the Purito!

Graham Lorimer
1 minute ago, StraightEdge said:

Gosh, sorry to hear that Graham, but glad you weren't injured and that the model is largely intact - and a timely lesson re installation!

Can the Hacker leads not be replaced or repaired forward of the shortening?

I think it would be micro surgery to cut and join in new leads, I will try and find a fellow modeller with smaller fingers than mine to try and rewire it.

Graham

martynk
54 minutes ago, mikef said:

Purito-e having  a shady rest in the nettles with the Snipe.

04C23862-4490-4B17-AAC4-25A6F10E7C95.jpeg

I recognise that colour scheme Mike .. 

Nice to see it again.. 

• Like 1
martynk

Updated table.

image.thumb.png.f1353a266cd244db73dc7ea0260880c4.png

Looks like this weekend may be nice... with a ridge of high pressure and fairly calm weather.  Get those flight batteries charged..

Brian Taylor

It’s the coffee that does it!
A nice day up north for a change, sunshine 16C and a light  2 to 3 knot SE breeze. This was the first outing with the new bungee and after moving the tow hook back a couple of mm the launches were pretty good. Thanks Pete for the excellent bungee.

The first dozen or so flights were in the 3 to 6 mins region with some lift around but the thermals very very tight, short lived and surrounded by some serious sink. 

I was on the point of wrapping up with the plan to come out again next week but, after a cup of the old thermos coffee and sitting watching a couple of Red Kites hooking lift fairly low down I decided to have a couple more flights. The second launch was straight into lift which for once was a size that could be flown with a bit of care. At around the 16min mark the breeze swung through 180 and you could feel the drop in temperature. Needless to say the glider came down in double quick time.

I must set up the flight logger so I can upload the graphs.

Flight time: 19min 21 sec

Model: Slite V2

F3RES

Hope everyone has some good flying over the Bank Holiday, for once the forecast looks good.

Brian

• Like 3
Graham Lorimer

Nice flight Brian.

I'm glad I am not the only one that finds  that these lightweight 2 meter gliders come down alarmingly quickly in sink.

Here's hoping for some great flights in the next few days.

Graham

martynk

Well done Brian.  A great flight.

image.thumb.png.d944d4002dafc913635a6d876a279b23.png

Updated table

Brian Taylor

The first few flights that encountered sink did take me my surprise as well, I agree it is amazing how quickly these 2m lightweights head for the ground!  More stick time needed to learn the model and its’ foibles me thinks.  I am more used to flying the 3.5 to 4m F5j beasts which are able to ride out and escape the sink much more easily. 
Brian