English Open 2021 August 21-22

Nigel_W

the forecast looks interesting for Beer head on Saturday- for those who have travelled or have a pass anyway

Ian

5 hours ago, Nigel_W said:

Saturday is OFF. 

See you on Sunday.

What a bummer. I was looking forward to being on the hill with everyone, sheltering under brollies, lunching, and getting two rounds in late afternoon.

Oh well, perhaps I am strange. Have to settle for just the Sunday then, but it won't feel the same. Not many rounds likely with thirty of us. (Glad i am not the one having to make the decision though, to be honest!) 

See y'all Sunday. 

18 minutes ago, Redbird said:

What a bummer. I was looking forward to being on the hill with everyone, sheltering under brollies, lunching, and getting two rounds in late afternoon.

Oh well, perhaps I am strange. Have to settle for just the Sunday then, but it won't feel the same. Not many rounds likely with thirty of us. (Glad i am not the one having to make the decision though, to be honest!) 

See y'all Sunday. 

You've always got the Welsh Open for sheltering under brollies Bruce !!

• Haha 1

58 minutes ago, Rumbey said:

You've always got the Welsh Open for sheltering under brollies Bruce !!

True, and if we didn't get a couple of rounds in then it would have been grim, admitted. 

Tone-the-glider
35 minutes ago, Andy_B said:

We had a couple of hours on the SW bowl this afternoon

Thought you might.

Wishing everyone a very enjoyable & successful English Open 2021.

I look forward to seeing the results, many pics & any video please.

Stu. 

• Like 2

Graeme_M

A good day on Whitesheet hill,10 rounds completed with no breakage's! The usual Whitesheet variable, all blow and no-go conditions prevailed all day, giving times ranging from 88.XX  to 41.xx however I think everyone enjoyed themselves

Thanks to all  for being ready to go when your time came this made for a very slick comp, thanks also to those who helped dismantling the course. 

Results spreadsheet below...

G

F3F_Scores_V1_1.xls

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I had a thoroughly enjoyable day. Thanks to Whitesheet RFC  for their hospitality, not forgetting the bacon buttie and delicious flap Jacks 😀

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Great to catch up again. Congratulations to the podium pilots. Well flown in extremely variable conditions. Yes I did manage to do an a 76 sec followed by an 88 second run 😳😂

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Too bad I couldn't make it finally. Impressive you could do 10 rounds with those times:)

What are the final results? Looking at the data in a mobile phone does not allow to organize it by points.

Graeme_M
10 minutes ago, Aleix said:

What are the final results? Looking at the data in a mobile phone does not allow to organize it by points.

Mark Treble 1st.  
Graeme Mahoney 2nd   
Mark Redsell 3rd

• Like 4

Thanks to Nigel, Graeme and the team for a well run event.

F3f is funny old thing. Fresh from two new pbs at Long Mynd a couple of weeks ago to last place at White Sheet! My only consolation being that I didn't manage to fly the slowest time of the day. But only going sub 60 secs once was a bit rubbish!

So, lots of room for improvement. I got away with a nasty flick on Base A when the Extreme momentarily disappeared under the edge of the hill and the McMeekin Falcon got an airing and attracted some nostalgic attention from a few people. 

A successful days flying if not so good on the competition front!

Notable performance of the day for me was Will Fourie's 4th place, well done Will.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Thanks and well done to Nigel and Graeme for running a great competition and managing to squeeze in so many rounds - awesome! 
I played the Whitesheet thermal lottery and managed to get some good air when it mattered. 13 out of 22 getting a score in the 900’s shows just how close it was with very few points separating the positions. A great day out with some sunshine thrown in as well - bliss.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Great to get a full day out on the slope, thanks to the whitesheet team for being so organised and getting things going pretty quickly. Bacon rolls and excellent home made flapjack as well thanks to Mike!

Conditions were as variable as I think I've ever flown in - it felt like flying either a paper bag or a bag of spanners, sometimes both at the same time...so pretty pleasantly surprised at the result.

Congrats to Mark T, Graeme and everyone else for a really nice relaxed event.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Thanks Nigel and Graeme for organising and keeping the competition going. I was surprised to still be in the lead after what seemed to be round after round of difficult air following my two 'stonkers' in the first rounds.

Well done to Mike Holt for not coming last in your first F3F competition. Good to see a new face on the slope - hope to see you again soon.

Also thanks to dad for the full english breakfast which kept me fuelled all day!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Graeme_M
25 minutes ago, mtreble said:

Thanks Nigel and Graeme for organising and keeping the competition going. I was surprised to still be in the lead after what seemed to be round after round of difficult air following my two 'stonkers' in the first rounds.

Well done to Mike Holt for not coming last in your first F3F competition. Good to see a new face on the slope - hope to see you again soon.

Also thanks to dad for the full english breakfast which kept me fuelled all day!

Cheers for helping out in the middle Mark, much appreciated 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Tone-the-glider

Yes want to add my thanks for a great day, really enjoyed the flying despite the challenge of changing conditions. It was just perfect to see all the friends again after what seems a lifetime. Also a big thanks to all that helped and their kindness.

A special thanks to all of the White Sheet club for their dedication to running the event, "a great club"

Such a wonderful time makes the next day a big anti climax, roll on the next.

Tony

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Phil.Taylor

Big "Thank You" from me to Nigel, Geaeme & the Whitesheet crew for putting on a really memorable F3F comp

Big congrats to Mark, Graeme, Mark - great flying making the most of the variable conditions

Whitesheet - a full day with good wind directly on the slope, sunshine, and no rain - 10 rounds with 22 pilots - amazing

Great fun doing the slowest time of the comp of 88.38 in round 7 - flying with the camber flaps down to stay up - to cheers of "Come on Phil!" - then blasting around in good air in round 8 for 3rd in that round. Cuts in 3x rounds - must try harder...

Phil.