DLG 'Come Try It' Event 19th-20th June

Neil Harrison

Neil Harrison

Decision for the competition tomorrow is a GO....

Pilots briefing at 09.45 for a 10.00 start.

Just want to say a Big Thankyou to the organisers and helpers at today’s “come and try” . What a fantastic opportunity to pick the brains of our top flyers , something you don’t have time to do in the competition environment, and hugely useful it was too , with a load of things to practice now .

Thank you so much

just have to put it into practice now 😉

Dave H

• Like 4

I would like to echo Dave H's comments. Thank you to Neil and his crew for their advice, patience, and understanding at yesterday's "Come and Try it" event. For me as a self-taught novice DLG flyer it was a revelation to see the skills of some of the Country's best flyers, but what was most gratifying was their willingness to spend time and patience on pointing out basic skill areas where you could improve your enjoyment and ability at this most addictive of model aircraft disciplines. A most rewarding day out, and thank you again to all the "pro's" for their guidance  . Regards ............. Richard

• Like 4

thechalster

Great weekend of fun and great to seen some new faces enjoying F3k to.  Thanks to Neil and Paul for the organisation.

Might be some errors in the scoring  1 2 3 4 appears to be scored as one group? And I don’t remember not getting the first 1 minute flight in big ladder.

On 13/06/2021 at 15:50, Mark Evans said:

Seeing the current forecast for Saturday I won’t be making the trip over unless it changes. 

I'd already noticed the "one group" issue for 1,2,3,4. I'll sort that out in a bit.
As for specific scores, Neil has the papers so he'll have to check those.

• Like 1

Correcting the groups in Round 5 means Mike C swaps places with Manny and I swap with Neil.

@Neil Harrison Paul C's time for the 1minute flight in Round 5 is down as 1 second, which I'm guessing should have been 1 minute so would be good to get all those checked.

• Like 1

What great day the introduction to dlgs was for me, came away with a great load of knowledge and inspired to do more with my gliders.

I have struggled with my Taranis opentx radio, one of the guys suggested Mike Shillen,s program, it went on my radio fairly easily and it does all I want and the most important thing is I can understand it.

Also came away with a lighter wallet and a new to me Vortex 3 looking forward to flying it.

Thanks to all for a great day.

• Like 3

blancmatter

Yes, cheers to all the Experts help on Saturday and to Neil and Paul for running the comp on Sunday. It was an excellent weekend and I learned a lot. It was especially good to see what was possible in challenging conditions in the competition, both in flying and timing for other pilots.

Richard Swindells

I forgot the name of the guy who bought a Bonus & wanted some help with Futaba TX setup.  Sunday ended up pretty hectic as everyone was either timing or flying, so not as much chance as we hoped, to help out on getting things configured.

Perhaps we can offer some ideas on the forum.

• Like 1

Neil Harrison

Scores have now been reconciled and updated in F3X Vault and entered onto the revised League table.......

2 anomalies..

Round 3, Group A - Paul Carrington recorded flight on F3X Vault as 00.01.0 but actually achieved 01.00.0 

Round 3, Group B - Mike Challinor recorded flight on F3X Vault as 00.00.0 but actually achieved 01.00.0

• Like 1

What great weekend we had.  Thank you Neil for the doing the bulk of the organising, it is much appreciated.  And thanks to Paul for your efforts with scoring etc.  Hopefully you will soon get us all trained to do the score entry with less mistakes!  It was great to meet new DLGers.  I hope we can tempt some of you to come and compete with us on a regular basis.  

And well done Neil for another correct tough weather call for a contest.  I never would have guessed the conditions would have been as good as they where on Sunday.  There was lift in pretty much every slot and the wind was not that strong at all. 

I had one of my best contests in a long time.  But gutting at the same time because of one stupid error.  Landing out in 1 flight only is very painful.  Given the conditions, I should have launched at the same time as my main challenger, Richard, to at least try to get a similar score to him in that round.  I say 'given the conditions' because thermal reads were a little difficult on Sunday, so the likelihood of me getting a better read after he launched were not high.  I think that the unbelievably high launch he did at the start of the round kind of made me forget proper strategy as I gawped in amazement.  But..... that was even more reason to launch.  Whilst Richard clearly tried extra hard on that launch (that was some grunt!), he clearly launched in to good air, aiding the launch hight.  So, a really really stupid mistake, and that was before I landed out 😂.   I feel somewhat short changed getting 91% after making only one error all day (OK, two, including the land out, but if I had launched with Richard, I don't think I would have landed out), but them's the rules.  Another great contest day, looking forward to the next.

The highlight for me was how much I enjoyed flying the BAMF2.  It was effectively my 3rd session with it, so I am probably not fully dialled in to it, but it just worked very well for me in all the varied conditions we had on Sunday.  

Great to see our 'host', Manny Williamson (AKA Mr BMFA Buckminster), competing and placing 5th in his first F3K contest.  Manny also got the '1000' in the 'one flight only' round - well done!

• Like 1