5th 2021 2m F3-RES, F5-RES 14 day Duration Challenge

martynk

martynk

A placeholder for the 5th combined 2M F3-RES, F5-RES  14 day duration Challenge for 2021.

This is an experimental event and the rules may be altered for subsequent challenges.

Please submit your score below. The clock will start when the first score is submitted and will restart if and when the current high score has been beaten.

This is a for fun challenge for UK based pilots, anyone may enter with EITHER 

1. a bungee-launched glider up to 2 metres wingspan and the standard Hi-Start can post a time. The standard Hi-Start bungee is a maximum of 10m of 6/4mm surgical tubing and 50m of static line (minimum 30lb breaking strain). Lighter/smaller bungee rubber may be used.

OR

2. an Electric motor launched glider up to 2 metre wingspan fitted with an Altitude Limiter set to 60m and a maximum motor run time of 20 seconds.

Object: Fly your 2 metre glider for as long as possible from a flat field, the person who's time is unbeaten for 14 days 'wins' and a new challenge starts.

Rules:

Flight times begin when line releases from the tow-hook or in the case of an electric motor powered glider, 20 seconds after the hand launch. The model must land in the launch field for times to count. While the object is to encourage F3/F5-RES types, any model up to 2 metre span may be flown (F3/F5-RES, foam, R/E mouldie) but please state the type of model with your time. Note that ailerons or other camber changing devices fitted are no longer permitted, even if disabled. 

No Flight information telemetry permitted except for Received signal strength and Receiver battery status.

Fly safely! No slope soaring

• martynk changed the title to 5th 2021 2m F3-RES, F5-RES 14 day Duration Challenge
martynk

Quite breezy gusting 15mph here this morning but the little Club comp Phoenix gliders just about coped (heavier and smaller than FxRES midels). 

After the comp finished, I decided to gave a go with my F5-RES and managed 8:49 for its fifth flight, second flight today.  I'll update and publish the table later. 

Martyn K, F5-RES, Mad Hatter 2e, 8:49

Graham Lorimer

No too Breezy today at Fish Meadow, checking Altis settings for F5J tomorrow, couldn't resist giving my Purito a few flights.

First time to fly it since the gearbox failed last time out, fortunately just the pinion turning on the motor shaft, Loctite and all good to go. Seems a slightly too common complaint with the little Hacker motor / gearbox combinations.

Best flight of 13 minutes 35 seconds.

Graham

june 12th.png

cirrusRC

My dad has the same motor in his Andreas, he's had to Loctite the pinion twice.   Not exactly cheap are they!?   Like you say, seems a common complaint.

Graham Lorimer

The interesting thing I noticed, there was zero sign of any previous method of securing the pinion on.

GL

martynk

image.thumb.png.6815ca641c4029120ee63ed33e4a380d.png

Updated Table

As a matter of interest, what is the benefit of a geared motor on models this size which appear to climb adequately on a lower cost ungeared outrunner?

Ta!

My thinking…

A geared motor turns a larger prop for the same power.  Larger prop = lower disc loading = more efficiency.

My 488 gm. Purito can get to 175 metres in less than 30 seconds.

GM 13x8 prop and 30mm spinner, Hacker A10-7L, Hacker X-20 pro (only a gram heavier than the 12 and the same size), Hacker 350mAh 3S Top Fuel Eco-X.

I can reach 60 meters in well under 20 seconds - in practice I use the 20 seconds to reach 60m as far upwind as possible.

martynk

That's a pretty compelling argument.  I didn't appreciate that you would get such efficiency benefits.  I am getting nowhere near that with my electric setup but it does not not need to get that high.. 

Thanks. Appreciated. 

StraightEdge

This morning managed a best just before lunchtime of 8:45 with the PuRES (F3-RES) reaching a max of 238m.  Pretty hot with very little ambient wind and initially almost completely cloudless, the lift was sometimes strong but typically very narrow, and not easy to find the next up-escalator from a downwind position.

Cirrus RC joined me at my local field and of course got much better durations - I'm sure he'll be along in due course to report his experience of the day and top time.

Jon

• Like 1

cirrusRC

Thanks for hosting me yesterday Jon.  Good to fly with you again.

Frankly it was just too hot!!!

Conditions were challenging.  Cloudless sky limited visibility and how high you could go.  Strong infill and at times the thermals appeared to be lying on their side, we kept disappearing a long way down wind despite the light winds.   I only had one thermal where I went straight up.

Lots of tricky low level narrow stuff.  Lunchtime a sink hole swallowed the sky and in the afternoon farmer turned up to do field.

My best was 24.36 with a good low level save.  Damn it was hot!

xres-13thJune-Wantage.thumb.JPG.9ef393d535f0df38cbdc5689663021f7.JPG

• Like 1

StraightEdge

Martyn, you need to update again for David's time above.

• Like 1

martynk

😀

Thanks for the nudge.  Things are getting very stressed here at the moment..

image.thumb.png.bf4beae69c93e650fb912e49e82cba90.png

Graham Lorimer

Another day and another big effort to top the current table, but it was not to be.

Great weather, difficult lift drifting quickly down wind and always the big question is, when do I bail out and look for the next ride.

Tried very hard to get to CirrusRC's time, but could not quite do it. At least I managed to raise my previous time in this round.

Fish Meadow

Purito Electric

Time: 21 minutes 55 seconds

Graham Lorimer

June 15th.png

cirrusRC

Good effort Graham.  It looked great out there today.  Hazy cirrus, light winds and kites everywhere.   Sadly no time off until the rain arrives on Thursday 😀

Unless crazy high, I always tend to lose too much height pushing back up wind to find the next thermal.   You really have to make early calls to get out of even the slightest sink with these models.

I might try adding some ballast over the CG and see how it performs.

martynk

Updated table.. Correctly, I hope :D

image.thumb.png.62316e45961aae9a389dc22db301382e.png

Graham Lorimer

Another day at Fish Meadow trying to tumble Cirrus RC off the top of the Leaderboard, but again, it was not to be.

No shortage of lift, and a few F5J models to watch out for, and to follow for lift, but it was very difficult to work out which direction the thermals were drifting, and very easy to have them simply fold up and die on you. A couple of good saves, but I needed one more and it was not there, so..........

Fish Meadow

Purito Electric

Best flight 22 minutes 20 seconds.

Graham Lorimer

June 23rd.png

• Like 1

cirrusRC

Been out 3 times this week, lift has been really poor.  Either calm but no lift or too windy.

It was gusting to 12+ with the infill today,  was launching very high (80+) and picking up some booming lift but disappearing down wind and struggling to get back.   Good fun but only a best of 13 minutes.

Calmer later on but weak narrow lift better suited for dlg.   Tomorrow looks wet.

• Like 1

Brian Taylor

Hi,

Managed a couple of hours yesterday, conditions were pretty rubbish with the wind swinging between a light breeze and a gusting moderate breeze. Very little lift around and most of the flights were in the 2 to 3 minute range. Managed to eek one flight out to 7min 46sec. A couple of flights with the F5j model were just as unproductive. 

26 Jun 21

Slite V2 F3 RES

7min 46sec

cheers,

Brian

• Like 2

martynk

Well done to David/CirrusRC. I'll start a new challenge and update the table.

Moving house on Wednesday, normal service should resume in a week or so..

image.thumb.png.5cd800a7407d9e1f72d8c21d65b89e9f.png