Ordering from France…..

Maria Freeman

Maria Freeman

Anybody had any problem importing from France ?

I ordered a Ventus 2c 4.5m from topmodel.fr last week.

I paid for it + delivery. 

It was put on the courier.

All seemed well , but then they emailed to say that their courier (k&n) could not deliver it to the UK because of Brexit !! 

So , I had to wait for the courier to return it to them before I got my money paid back. 

Hope this isn’t the way things are going to happen in the future ??

Phil.Taylor

Future? - its already here... !

Thats a shame - I had good service from topmodel.fr a couple of years ago - and they sometimes have interesting stuff in stock

Phil.

It’s all down to top model not wanting to do all the paper work and be registered for VAT in the UK I suspect 

Has anyone ordered models from Baudis or TUD since the new year? Are there problems with them as well as top models? 

2 hours ago, Maria Freeman said:

Anybody had any problem importing from France ?

I ordered a Ventus 2c 4.5m from topmodel.fr last week.

I paid for it + delivery. 

It was put on the courier.

All seemed well , but then they emailed to say that their courier (k&n) could not deliver it to the UK because of Brexit !! 

So , I had to wait for the courier to return it to them before I got my money paid back. 

Hope this isn’t the way things are going to happen in the future ??

Might be worth asking T9 if they could get one in for you as they are a Topmodel stockist.

Baldyslapnut

I have received a plane from Baudis. No issues just slower than before and more expensive with the customs handling fee.

£46 more expensive with the customs fee and euro60 more on the shipping cost.

Regards

Greg

7 hours ago, Baldyslapnut said:

I have received a plane from Baudis. No issues just slower than before and more expensive with the customs handling fee.

£46 more expensive with the customs fee and euro60 more on the shipping cost.

Regards

Greg

Do Baudis send you the model, excluding vat, and you pay the vat on delivery, with the various other charges?

cheers, 

Mike. 

Baldyslapnut

Correct. You will get an e-mail from the shipping company and you phone up or go online and pay the charges and then they deliver the goods.

• Thanks 1

Fyi. I ordered some items from hobbyking European warehouse.  No duty or fees, arrived in 3 days.  Perhaps they used UK warehouse as a middle man but thought worth sharing experience.

Some items I wanted from Germany the sellers said it's too much hassle so no longer ship to UK unless over a certain value and it makes it worth their while.

• 2 weeks later...
On 06/07/2021 at 13:26, oipigface said:

I just received a spare fus from Baudis. No VAT, no Customs duty. 

I was a bit previous with this proud boast. I have just received a bill from Fedex for £107.87 in customs, handling fees, VAT etc.  That’s 26% of Baudis’ bill.

Time to get my Brexit t-shirt out again …. or move to France.

• Sad 4

It’s not looking good for a single tailplane for my Jedi lift Then! 
It’s cost me about £125 so far, with shipping costs included. 
can’t wait to get my bill, for vat, import duty, etc. 🥴

It may not actually be as bad as I thought when I first looked at it. The three items on the bill are identified with codes: £83.87 VT,

£20.00 DPC and £4.00 VAT. According to the small print VT means VAT Type, DPC is Deferment Processing Fee, and VAT, well, VAT.

So if I understand it correctly, the VT is VAT on the cost of the fus, DPC is a charge made by FedEx for their trouble and the £4.00 is VAT on FedEx’s charge. I haven’t looked at pre-Brexit invoices from Baudis, but I am guessing that they used to collect the VAT on the fus themselves, and didn’t charge customers for doing so. The calculation of the VAT is complicated by the fact that the VAT rate is 21% in the Czech Republic, 1% greater than here, so there may be a small gain (£4.83) from paying it in Britain.

If this is correct, then the extra cost as a result of Brexit is ‘only’ £24 - £4.83 or a smidgeon less than 4%.

’Frictionless trade’ it ain’t.

P.S. Don’t take this as gospel!

1 hour ago, Mikeb52 said:

It’s not looking good for a single tailplane for my Jedi lift Then! 
It’s cost me about £125 so far, with shipping costs included. 
can’t wait to get my bill, for vat, import duty, etc. 🥴

If Fedex’s fee is fixed at £20, no matter what the value of the goods, then you’ll be paying about 20% extra, Mike. Should have bought two!

• Like 1

I’ve done a bit more checking of invoices, bills and stuff, and now it seems to me that the following is the way the import of my spare fuselage worked:

The seller issues an invoice ex-VAT. The buyer pays the seller. The seller sends the goods. When they get to the border they are declared to customs who decide what the VAT payable is. The VAT is due immediately, but the carrier asks for a deferral which granted. Delivery is made. Carrier asks buyer to reimburse the VAT. There apparently is no customs duty at the moment. The extra costs are entirely due to Brexit disrupting the VAT system.

I have occasionally bought stuff from the US, where VAT is not an issue, but Customs Duty is. In these transactions, I think the carrier has always been Royal Mail, who manage things rather differently. They don’t deliver until they’ve received the duty from the buyer. I don’t know if the warehousing services necessary for this are Customs’ or Royal Mail’s.

Again, this account may not have got all the details right. 

I think that if you are getting stuff from EU, you should check that price quoted by the seller is ex-VAT. Otherwise you might end up paying VAT twice, as well as UK VAT on the EU VAT.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Buying from Europe is the same as buying from anywhere outside the UK. Goods purchased under £130 UK VAT should be charged at the point of sale, even if the goods are supplied from within a UK based warehouse ie hobbykong and bangbad, these goods will be shipped and should not get further charges from customs

Goods purchased over that value are treat as any import and are subject to customs VAT and duty. The difference is with the brexit deal is that goods manufactured in the EU will be zero duty but goods sold in the EU that are manufactured from outside the EU, they are subject to duty charge depending on the tariff code applied.