F3K British National Championships 2021

Neil Harrison

Neil Harrison

We are fast approaching the official closing of entries which is today....for those that haven't please enter today.  Late entries will be accepted up until Friday 6pm but these will attract an additional £10 fee which is non negotiable.

Pilot entry list is currently...

1. Doug Arnold
  2. Paul Robinson
  3. Mike Challinor
  4. Neil Harrison
  5. Kohen Judd
  6. Cornelius Van Onselen
  7. Brenton Wait
  8. Mike Fantham
  9. Mike Stern
  10. Gavin Stern
  11. Neil Pritchett
  12. Terry Spence
  13. David Hutchinson

On Saturday evening we will have our normal BBQ and entertainment, bring your own food and drink.

• Like 2

Gents,

Great couple of days flying and F3K continues to be the best event In my opinion, I saw nothing but smiles on the field, even when pilots have bad flights.

Great to see the new guys who all  have super potential, all being able to fly accurately.

Big thanks to Neil and Paul for there organisation and BMFA for providing us with a great facility.

Well done to the British Champion Dave!  

I also think Paul Deserves a well done great flying both days to take the 3rd place. 

Mike c.   

Now off to bottle up some Mojo.

• Like 2

Thanks Mike and well done, it was really tight between those top two places!

A really fun weekend and as Mike said, great to see so many new faces competing, hopefully to continue at future events. 
Well done Dave. 

• Like 2

I heartedly agree an excellent weekend and most enjoyable. As one of the four newbies I would like to say a big thank you to all the experienced guys for their help and friendliness. I learnt a lot and now have to try to put into practice. 
I would encourage any one new to come and give a go they are very welcoming. 
Thanks again. Terry. 🙂

• Like 3

Yes, a really great weekend.  We are so lucky to have a venue like the BMFA centre, it makes all the difference. 

Thank you again to NeilH for organising and PaulR for scoring duties.

Well done Dave for the win.  Very consistently good flying.  Your launch is high, but I think it was those low level saves that won you the contest.  And have you realised yet that you left your erected tent??  MikeF has it now.

Good to see MikeC back to his best.  And well done PaulR for, I think, your best result to date.  Well deserved.  I was pretty happy with my flying, except for the two rounds on Saturday where I made stupid errors which cost me about 1000 points.  And I am not going to to talk about R13... 🤐  Loving my BAMF2, it really seems to suit me.  I have a few repairs to do on it after SAMing MikeF's snipe.  Sorry Mike!   I inspected it after the incident, and it looked OK, except for the minor damage to the right hand wing tip, so carried on flying it.  But when packing up on Sunday, I noticed cracks in the fuse on the top of the wing saddle and evidence of compression to the rear of the wing root.  I came off a lot better than Mike's Snipe, so I am lucky.  But a lesson to do proper checks after an incident like that.  I could have had a wing fold on launch if the damage was a bit worse.  

So good to have some new competitors join us and doing pretty well.  Hope to see you all again soon.

• Like 2

Thanks again Neil for running an awesome event and to everyone for encouraging us newbs to come along and being so helpful and welcoming! 

I thoroughly enjoyed meeting and chatting with everyone, and seeing a lot of really inspiring flying. As im sure you could tell by my being an an over I'm excited goof at times haha 

Looking forward to flying with everyone again soon. 

Kohen

• Like 3

What a doofus!  I think I left my brain on the flight line.     It was only when I got home and checked phone that I realised I was missing my sleeping arrangements!!!   Mike F you are a legend - thank you.     Mike S and Gav if you helped take it down then thank you also.      That comp wiped me out for sure.

Thanks to Neil for running such a great comp and all the work you and Paul do behind the scenes to make it possible.        We were lucky with the weather considering it was a bank holiday.    More sun on the Sunday would have been nice though.

Happy with the way I flew - not always the best in windy conditions, but the best thing about competition is that it pushes you outside your comfort zone and forces you to improve.

Can't remember such a tight / close competition.   The standard was insane  and some impressive performances from the new comers!    Mike C pushed me to the wire with super consistent flying!

round 13 is one I won't forget.    A must win round and with 1 launch only, the pressure was insane.     Neil launched early and Mike and I followed in convoy.    We were trading thermals and swapping positions all the time.   I needed a sit down after that one.

Big thanks to Gavin also for producing the stickers - they are great and a nice memory of the event.

Will wait on the official results but well done everyone.     Congratulations Paul on the podium finish.

• Like 2

To echo other's comments big thanks to Neil and Paul, was a really great event, the work you put in is appreciated.

I was happy to break into the 80% bracket (just!) and had a whole lot of fun, including landing in the thankfully dry pond. Still lots of scope for progression.

It was awesome to see the comp first timers get involved, have fun and excel (that's you Kohen, if it wasn't for that landout you would have easily been ahead of me)

I'll have to see which comps I can make this year and next, but really looking forward to flying with everyone again.

• Like 4

Just wanted to say a big thank you to Neil and Paul, for a great my first comp, May there be plenty more...

I also wanted to thank everyone that timed for me and helped and guided me, the advice is always appreciated. A special thanks to Mike for the field repairs that kept me in the competition it is greatly appropriated.

Really looking forward in flying with you all again soon.

Congratulations to all the winners.

Does anyone have photos or videos? I enjoyed my self so much that I never took anything...

Cornelius

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I can't agree more with the comments about welcoming and helping us new pilots. What a privilege to fly in the same competition and see how it can be done. Makes me look at the sky differently now, that even on days when I get consistently under 1 min flight others can find lift. I got a real buzz out of round one, completing the 3 min rung of Big Ladder, not realising that my best flying was behind me. So pleased to walk away after 2 days of flying having participated in every round and still having a glider to go away and practise more with. Looking forward to joining in again soon- maybe Saturday?

Brenton

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

I think I found DavidPs secret sauce. I am still amazed in all up last down (I think) where at the back of the box, 3 meters up he was tight turning in marginal lift. I think you eeked out almost a minute, only ever getting to 10 meters maximum.

Obviously there was so much that went into a great performance, but that was a situation that probably swung it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ha - thanks. Yes I had some good low level saves that weekend.  The all up one was very low, I got lucky and entered the thermal at right angle and position, whilst very narrow there was a lot of energy allowing me to corkscrew and climb out to a decent height, flying the slot out..... don't think Gav was too chuffed 😀

• Like 2